* Re: + fork-allow-init-to-become-a-session-leader.patch added to -mm tree
       [not found] <200602082314.k18NEuN0017390@shell0.pdx.osdl.net>
@ 2006-02-08 23:19 ` Christoph Lameter
From: Christoph Lameter @ 2006-02-08 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: ebiederm, oleg, mm-commits

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 akpm@osdl.org wrote:

> +			if (unlikely(p->pid == 1)) {
> +				p->signal->tty = NULL;
> +				p->signal->leader = 1;
> +				p->signal->pgrp = 1;
> +				p->signal->session = 1;

Would it not be better to do these special settings for init from
init itself?

* Re: + fork-allow-init-to-become-a-session-leader.patch added to -mm tree
@ 2006-02-09 21:31   ` Eric W. Biederman
From: Eric W. Biederman @ 2006-02-09 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Lameter; +Cc: linux-kernel, oleg, mm-commits

Christoph Lameter <clameter@engr.sgi.com> writes:

> On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 akpm@osdl.org wrote:
>
>> +			if (unlikely(p->pid == 1)) {
>> +				p->signal->tty = NULL;
>> +				p->signal->leader = 1;
>> +				p->signal->pgrp = 1;
>> +				p->signal->session = 1;
>
> Would it not be better to do these special settings for init from
> init itself?

So if you mean from within the kernel context that is doable,
so long as we only have one process with pid == 1.

Although we may be able fix the kernel limitations in setsid().

For multiple pid == 1 case I don't know of another place in
the kernel I can possibly put this.  I can't put it later
because there is no place later, and I can't put it earlier
or else my efforts would just get stomped.

So I did it this way so I don't have to come back and change it to
this next week.  I'd love to have a better place to put this
code.

Eric