* Request for Linux Kernel Mailing List archives
@ 2007-06-20 15:37 H. Peter Anvin
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: H. Peter Anvin @ 2007-06-20 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would like to make a request to LKML archives.  It would be a highly
useful feature to have an archive site where one can algorithmically
produce a URL from the Message-ID, so one can post a clickable URL from
a delivered message without having to look it up every time.

For example, if a message had:

... and I could just generate a URL:

http://linux-kernel.example.com/msgid/4676C78D.8040208@zytor.com

... that would be highly convenient.

(Extra points if all the vger lists are available, not just LKML.)

	-hpa

* Re: Request for Linux Kernel Mailing List archives
@ 2007-06-20 15:52 ` Björn Steinbrink
From: Björn Steinbrink @ 2007-06-20 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: H. Peter Anvin

On 2007.06.20 08:37:48 -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> I would like to make a request to LKML archives.  It would be a highly
> useful feature to have an archive site where one can algorithmically
> produce a URL from the Message-ID, so one can post a clickable URL from
> a delivered message without having to look it up every time.
>
> For example, if a message had:

> ... and I could just generate a URL:
>
> http://linux-kernel.example.com/msgid/4676C78D.8040208@zytor.com
>
> ... that would be highly convenient.
>
> (Extra points if all the vger lists are available, not just LKML.)

marc.info supports that.

http://marc.info/?i=467949CC.9090405@zytor.com

Björn

* Re: Request for Linux Kernel Mailing List archives
@ 2007-06-20 15:57   ` H. Peter Anvin
From: H. Peter Anvin @ 2007-06-20 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Steinbrink, H. Peter Anvin, webguy, postmaster,
	postmaster, Linux Kernel Mailing List, postmaster

Björn Steinbrink wrote:

> marc.info supports that.
>
> http://marc.info/?i=467949CC.9090405@zytor.com

Excellent!  Didn't see that documented anywhere.

@ 2007-06-20 16:38     ` Hank Leininger
From: Hank Leininger @ 2007-06-20 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: H. Peter Anvin

[-- Attachment #1: Type: TEXT/PLAIN; CHARSET=X-UNKNOWN; FORMAT=flowed, Size: 1848 bytes --]

* Re: Request for Linux Kernel Mailing List archives
@ 2007-06-20 18:10 ` Ben Pfaff
From: Ben Pfaff @ 2007-06-20 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com> writes:

> For example, if a message had:

> ... and I could just generate a URL:
>
> http://linux-kernel.example.com/msgid/4676C78D.8040208@zytor.com

gmane can do that:
        http://mid.gmane.org/4676C78D.8040208@zytor.com

> (Extra points if all the vger lists are available, not just LKML.)

gmane has thousands of free software mailing lists.  I don't know
whether it has all of the vger lists.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org

@ 2007-06-21  6:21   ` Oleg Verych
From: Oleg Verych @ 2007-06-21  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Pfaff, H. Peter Anvin

* Newsgroups: gmane.linux.kernel
* Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 11:10:53 -0700

>> For example, if a message had:

>> ... and I could just generate a URL:
>>
>> http://linux-kernel.example.com/msgid/4676C78D.8040208@zytor.com
>
> gmane can do that:
>         http://mid.gmane.org/4676C78D.8040208@zytor.com

To have Gmane (news<=>e-mail [and web]) engine[s] on the kernel.org will
be the best thing ever!

The "News<=>e-mail" part is major because of things, i've learned after
using it with (_mature_ news reader) slrn. Any web interface, basic like
in marcs.info, or comprehensive, like Gmane's one can't replace
functionality news server(Gmane)/reader is giving to you (summary):

* You don't receive (or annoyingly bounce) huge traffic.
  . big backlogs are handled easily in many cases, like getting
    e-mails, replying in interesting threads, just don't care about
    flames. I've just removed (by one key-press) 300, 200, 100 messages
    of Dual-Licensing thread, because i trust Linus.

* Interesting discussions are easily saved(by threads) on your side, so
  you can search them or read (any mbox format reader, like `mutt -f`)

* (slrn) Searching Message-Id as easy as one key-combination and one
  copy/paste {1}

* (slrn) Restoring of whole thread from one e-mail (or {1}) -- one
  key-combination

* (slrn + Gmane) headers have "Archived-At" entry, so i can just
  copy/paste it for web-based users

* (slrn + Gmane) listing of news-groups (actually ML<=>Gmane-NEWS)
  as easy as all above: patterns, one key-combination

* i bet much more, than i've just told.

And that's pretty why i'm happy to be with. After abandoning Mozilla
(buggy, memory hungry ever stuff), X and having console, screen, slrn,
lynx, emacs-nox i'm a pretty much more efficient that any time back.

All web, rss, other XML/WEB-2.0 crap does will not help. Get your
developers back -- use and publish healthy ways and tools to use!

I mean, come on, that's easy, rather than develop IMHO useless
e-mail/patch brokenness (WRT plain-text) checkers and docs.

Publish your way of being productive and saving environment! (tm:)

>> (Extra points if all the vger lists are available, not just LKML.)
>
> gmane has thousands of free software mailing lists.  I don't know
> whether it has all of the vger lists.

There are many, that i'm aware of: kernel, commits, ide, net, usb,
archs(amd64 at least), sparse, git...

Namespace in Gmane is a little bit wrong. For example
gmane.linux.kernel and gmane.linux.debian.*

I.e. Linux kernel (with sub-parts) is in noise of distributions, while
latter can have different kernel actually (e.g. kfreebsd in the Debian).
____

* Re: Request for Linux Kernel Mailing List archives
@ 2007-06-21 14:36     ` Oleg Verych
From: Oleg Verych @ 2007-06-21 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Pfaff, H. Peter Anvin

* Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 08:21:03 +0200

> To have Gmane (news<=>e-mail [and web]) engine[s] on the kernel.org will
> be the best thing ever!

Some more "Why":

> * You don't receive (or annoyingly bounce) huge traffic.
>   . big backlogs are handled easily in many cases, like getting
>     e-mails, replying in interesting threads, just don't care about
>     flames. I've just removed (by one key-press) 300, 200, 100 messages
>     of Dual-Licensing thread, because i trust Linus.

  * No [for] stupid[s] ML trailes in every sigle e-mail

  * Gmane News server handles crossposting, thus you will not hit same
    message in LKML and linux-ide, for example (How i could forget
    such useful feature? Nice things you are getting used to so fast
    without even noticing it. :) <http://gmane.org/about.php>

  * Spam is not only well-filtered, it is also removed, thus even if
    you see such headers (what is depends on mailing list, gmane
    doesn't remove them) you will not receive the body. After some
    time they are removed completely.

> * Interesting discussions are easily saved(by threads) on your side, so
>   you can search them or read (any mbox format reader, like `mutt -f`)
>
> * (slrn) Searching Message-Id as easy as one key-combination and one
>   copy/paste {1}
>
> * (slrn) Restoring of whole thread from one e-mail (or {1}) -- one
>   key-combination
>
> * (slrn + Gmane) headers have "Archived-At" entry, so i can just
>   copy/paste it for web-based users
>
> * (slrn + Gmane) listing of news-groups (actually ML<=>Gmane-NEWS)
>   as easy as all above: patterns, one key-combination
>
> * i bet much more, than i've just told.
    <http://gmane.org/features.php>

  * While it's service, it's free software available for download, but
    "is next to impossible to set up properly".

Kudos to Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen!
____

* Re: Request for Linux Kernel Mailing List archives
@ 2007-06-21 15:06 ` David Woodhouse
From: David Woodhouse @ 2007-06-21 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: H. Peter Anvin

On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 08:37 -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> I would like to make a request to LKML archives.  It would be a highly
> useful feature to have an archive site where one can algorithmically
> produce a URL from the Message-ID, so one can post a clickable URL from
> a delivered message without having to look it up every time.
>
> For example, if a message had:

> ... and I could just generate a URL:
>
> http://linux-kernel.example.com/msgid/4676C78D.8040208@zytor.com
>
> ... that would be highly convenient.
>
> (Extra points if all the vger lists are available, not just LKML.)

Even more extra points if there's a mailto: link allowing people to
reply, which actually gets the threading information right. E.g.:

mailto:hpa@zytor.com,linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org?Subject=Re:%20Request %20for%20Linux%20Kernel%20Mailing%20List%20archives&In-Reply-To=4676C78D.8040208@zytor.com

--
dwmw2

@ 2007-06-21 15:54   ` Björn Steinbrink
From: Björn Steinbrink @ 2007-06-21 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Woodhouse
  Cc: H. Peter Anvin, webguy, postmaster, postmaster,

On 2007.06.21 23:06:50 +0800, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 08:37 -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > I would like to make a request to LKML archives.  It would be a highly
> > useful feature to have an archive site where one can algorithmically
> > produce a URL from the Message-ID, so one can post a clickable URL from
> > a delivered message without having to look it up every time.
> >
> > For example, if a message had:

> > ... and I could just generate a URL:
> >
> > http://linux-kernel.example.com/msgid/4676C78D.8040208@zytor.com
> >
> > ... that would be highly convenient.
> >
> > (Extra points if all the vger lists are available, not just LKML.)
>
> Even more extra points if there's a mailto: link allowing people to
> reply, which actually gets the threading information right. E.g.:
>
> mailto:hpa@zytor.com,linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org?Subject=Re:%20Request %20for%20Linux%20Kernel%20Mailing%20List%20archives&In-Reply-To=4676C78D.8040208@zytor.com

Or maybe alternatively a feature that forwards the mail to you. I find
it preferable to actually have the email you reply to. No copy'n'paste
for quoting, no manual quote marking, no manual "On $date wrote $author"
line, ...

lkml.org has that.

Björn

* Re: Request for Linux Kernel Mailing List archives
@ 2007-06-21 15:56     ` David Woodhouse
From: David Woodhouse @ 2007-06-21 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Steinbrink
  Cc: H. Peter Anvin, webguy, postmaster, postmaster,

On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 17:54 +0200, Björn Steinbrink wrote:
> Or maybe alternatively a feature that forwards the mail to you.

A mailing list where you actually _receive_ the mail. Such an innovative
idea... :)

But yes, I agree that's quite cute. You could even do it as an anonymous
read-only IMAP mailbox, perhaps?

> I find it preferable to actually have the email you reply to. No
> copy'n'paste for quoting, no manual quote marking, no manual "On $date
> wrote $author" line, ...

You can put all that into a mailto: URL :)

--
dwmw2

@ 2007-06-21 16:00       ` H. Peter Anvin
From: H. Peter Anvin @ 2007-06-21 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Woodhouse
  Cc: Björn Steinbrink, webguy, postmaster, postmaster,

David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 17:54 +0200, Björn Steinbrink wrote:
>> Or maybe alternatively a feature that forwards the mail to you.
>
> A mailing list where you actually _receive_ the mail. Such an innovative
> idea... :)
>
> But yes, I agree that's quite cute. You could even do it as an anonymous
> read-only IMAP mailbox, perhaps?

Or NNTP.

@ 2007-09-12 10:27       ` Andreas Herrmann
From: Andreas Herrmann @ 2007-09-12 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)