* Compiling kernel
@ 2001-05-02 12:30 alad
From: alad @ 2001-05-02 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,
     The question may sound very stupid... But I have following doubt.

suppose I am making some change in sched.c and now I want to build my kernel
that reflects the change..
Is there any way I can avoid answering all the questions when I do make zImage ?

In short how should I compile the kernel (in very small time) to see my changes.

Thanks (for not flaming me)
Amol

* Re: Compiling kernel
@ 2001-05-02 13:12 ` Anton Altaparmakov
From: Anton Altaparmakov @ 2001-05-02 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alad; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, 2 May 2001 alad@hss.hns.com wrote:
>      The question may sound very stupid... But I have following doubt.
>
> suppose I am making some change in sched.c and now I want to build my kernel
> that reflects the change..
> Is there any way I can avoid answering all the questions when I do make zImage ?
>
> In short how should I compile the kernel (in very small time) to see my changes.

Assuming you have already configured your kernel and previously compiled
it then no questions should be asked. - The way I work is to do make
bzImage, try it, modify. make bzImage, try, etc... No questions asked.

If you did an accidental make mrproper or make clean in between then make
a copy of you old .config (I keep mine in /usr/src/my2.4.4config for
example so I would do from /usr/src/linux: cp ../my2.4.4config .config)
then run make oldconfig

followed by make dep && make bzImage

In future don't do a make mrproper or clean for that matter. All modified
files are automatically recompiled while non-modified ones are taken from
old compile. - This saves incredible amounts of time when using a Pentium
133 for development...

> Thanks (for not flaming me)

You are welcome. (-:

HTH,

	Anton
Linux NTFS maintainer / WWW: http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-ntfs/
ICQ: 8561279 / WWW: http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/

* Re: Compiling kernel
@ 2001-05-03  0:52 ` jlnance
From: jlnance @ 2001-05-03  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 06:00:00PM +0530, alad@hss.hns.com wrote:

> suppose I am making some change in sched.c and now I want to build my kernel
> that reflects the change..
> Is there any way I can avoid answering all the questions when I do make zImage ?
>
> In short how should I compile the kernel (in very small time) to see my changes.

It sounds like you are running "make config" after you make your changes.
If you run "make oldconfig" instead of "make config" it will not ask you
questions unless you have added config options to the configure scripts.

Its probably not necessary to run either on of these if you have just made
minor changes to the code.  It does not hurt to do it though, and
"make oldconfig" is fast.

Hope this helps,

Jim