* Writing to NTFS and kernel 2.6-test11
@ 2003-12-13 20:43 pprice
From: pprice @ 2003-12-13 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I have read that it is possible to change a file as long as it is the same
size using write(2) and mmap(2). I don't seem to be able to make this
work. I was wondering if someone has some code that will allow me to do
this. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

   Paul Price
   PC Consultant II
   Computer Science Department
   Memorial University of Newfoundland

* Re: Writing to NTFS and kernel 2.6-test11
@ 2003-12-13 23:19 ` Anton Altaparmakov
From: Anton Altaparmakov @ 2003-12-13 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pprice; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 pprice@cs.mun.ca wrote:
> I have read that it is possible to change a file as long as it is the same
> size using write(2) and mmap(2). I don't seem to be able to make this
> work. I was wondering if someone has some code that will allow me to do
> this. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Did you compile in read-write support?

What is the message in syslog when NTFS loads? If it is a module then type
"modprobe ntfs" to make sure it is loaded.  If not a module or a module
and you have loaded it just type: dmesg | grep -i ntfs and please tell me
the output you get from that.

Also, note that writes to resident files are not permanent in the driver
in 2.6-test11 (i.e. small files about 500 bytes or so).  They are never
written to disk.  Bigger files >1kb are guaranteed to be written always.

Best regards,

	Anton
Linux NTFS maintainer / IRC: #ntfs on irc.freenode.net
WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/ & http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/