* [GIT PULL]: SoundWire subsystem updates for v6.1-rc1
@ 2022-10-07 13:19 Vinod Koul
From: Vinod Koul @ 2022-10-07 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds; +Cc: Greg KH, LKML

Hello Linus,

Here is the soundwire subsystem pull request for you. Please pull to
receive updates for Intel, Cadence and Qualcomm drivers.

The following changes since commit 568035b01cfb107af8d2e4bd2fb9aea22cf5b868:

  Linux 6.0-rc1 (2022-08-14 15:50:18 -0700)

are available in the Git repository at:

  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/vkoul/soundwire.git tags/soundwire-6.1-rc1

for you to fetch changes up to 503ae285944a5e99ad3e0c36852ffe2680288418:

  soundwire: intel: add helper to stop bus (2022-09-20 10:39:23 +0530)

soundwire updates for 6.1-rc1

 - Pierre-Louis Bossart did another round of Intel driver cleanup to prepare
   for future code reorg which is expected in next cycle
 - Richard Fitzgerald provided bus unattach notifications processing during
   re-enumeration along with Cadence driver updates for this.
 - Srinivas Kandagatla added  Qualcomm driver updates to handle device0 status

Khalid Masum (1):
      soundwire: intel: Remove unnecessary TODO

Pierre-Louis Bossart (28):
      soundwire: dmi-quirks: add remapping for HP Omen 16-k0005TX
      soundwire: bus: remove use of __func__ in dev_dbg
      soundwire: intel: remove use of __func__ in dev_dbg
      soundwire: bus: rename sdw_ida as sdw_bus_ida
      soundwire: bus: allow device number to be unique at system level
      soundwire: intel: set dev_num_ida_min
      soundwire: intel: cleanup definition of LCOUNT
      soundwire: intel: regroup definitions for LCTL
      soundwire: intel: remove IPPTR unused definition
      soundwire: intel: cleanup SHIM SYNC
      soundwire: intel: remove unused PDM capabilities
      soundwire: intel: add comment for control stream cap/chmap
      soundwire: intel: cleanup PCM stream capabilities
      soundwire: intel: cleanup PCM Stream channel map and channel count
      soundwire: intel: cleanup IO control
      soundwire: intel: cleanup AC Timing Control
      soundwire: intel: cleanup WakeEnable and WakeStatus
      soundwire: intel: fix error handling on dai registration issues
      soundwire: intel: simplify flow and use devm_ for DAI registration
      soundwire: intel: move DAI registration and debugfs init earlier
      soundwire: intel: move all PDI initialization under intel_register_dai()
      soundwire: intel: remove clock_stop parameter in intel_shim_init()
      soundwire: intel: move shim initialization before power up/down
      soundwire: intel: remove intel_init() wrapper
      soundwire: intel: simplify read ops assignment
      soundwire: intel: introduce intel_shim_check_wake() helper
      soundwire: intel: introduce helpers to start bus
      soundwire: intel: add helper to stop bus

Richard Fitzgerald (9):
      soundwire: bus: Don't lose unattach notifications
      soundwire: bus: Don't re-enumerate before status is UNATTACHED
      soundwire: cadence: Fix lost ATTACHED interrupts when enumerating
      soundwire: bus: Don't exit early if no device IDs were programmed
      soundwire: cadence: Don't overwrite msg->buf during write commands
      soundwire: bus: Fix wrong port number in sdw_handle_slave_alerts()
      soundwire: cadence: Write to correct address for each FIFO chunk
      soundwire: cadence: Fix error check in cdns_xfer_msg()
      soundwire: cadence: Simplify error paths in cdns_xfer_msg()

Simon Trimmer (1):
      soundwire: cadence: fix updating slave status when a bus has multiple peripherals

Srinivas Kandagatla (2):
      soundwire: qcom: update status from device id 1
      soundwire: qcom: do not send status of device 0 during alert

Srinivasa Rao Mandadapu (1):
      soundwire: qcom: Update error prints to debug prints

 drivers/soundwire/bus.c             |  94 +++--
 drivers/soundwire/cadence_master.c  | 104 ++---
 drivers/soundwire/dmi-quirks.c      |  27 ++
 drivers/soundwire/intel.c           | 734 ++++++++++++++++++------------------
 drivers/soundwire/intel_init.c      |   2 +-
 drivers/soundwire/qcom.c            |   9 +-
 include/linux/soundwire/sdw.h       |   4 +
 include/linux/soundwire/sdw_intel.h |  63 ++--

~Vinod

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [GIT PULL]: SoundWire subsystem updates for v6.1-rc1
@ 2022-10-07 23:22 ` Linus Torvalds
From: Linus Torvalds @ 2022-10-07 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinod Koul; +Cc: Greg KH, LKML

On Fri, Oct 7, 2022 at 6:19 AM Vinod Koul <vkoul@kernel.org> wrote:

> soundwire updates for 6.1-rc1
>
>  - Pierre-Louis Bossart did another round of Intel driver cleanup to prepare
>    for future code reorg which is expected in next cycle
>  - Richard Fitzgerald provided bus unattach notifications processing during
>    re-enumeration along with Cadence driver updates for this.
>  - Srinivas Kandagatla added  Qualcomm driver updates to handle device0 status

So one of the things I do for merge messages is I try to make them all
_somewhat_ consistent.

That means that I now ended up editing all your explanations to match
the more common pattern, where when people credit the person doing the
work they put the name in parentheses after the explanation.

Partly that is just for consistency so that our logs read more like a
uniform body of work, but it also means that you don't need to add
pointless filler words to the explanations ("did", "provided",
"added").

So if you really want to mention peoples names (and it's ok, but it
does show up in the individual commits, so I'm not convinced it's
necessary in the merge commit overview of "what happened"), please try
to use that model.

And no, we're not really all _that_ consistent, and there's really a
few different merge commit patterns that we have.

Generally I try to make my editing fairly lightweight, but this was
just _so_ different from the normal merge commit log pattern that I
felt I needed to just edit a lot more than usual.

So a gentle query to maybe try to make them more in line with the
other patterns in the future to avoid extra work?

               Linus

* Re: [GIT PULL]: SoundWire subsystem updates for v6.1-rc1
@ 2022-10-07 23:37 ` pr-tracker-bot
From: pr-tracker-bot @ 2022-10-07 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinod Koul; +Cc: Linus Torvalds, Greg KH, LKML

The pull request you sent on Fri, 7 Oct 2022 18:49:06 +0530:

> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/vkoul/soundwire.git tags/soundwire-6.1-rc1

has been merged into torvalds/linux.git:
https://git.kernel.org/torvalds/c/881eccbef52563feb4fde0d19d375884798783f7

Thank you!

--
Deet-doot-dot, I am a bot.
https://korg.docs.kernel.org/prtracker.html

* Re: [GIT PULL]: SoundWire subsystem updates for v6.1-rc1
@ 2022-10-08 13:22   ` Vinod Koul
From: Vinod Koul @ 2022-10-08 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds; +Cc: Greg KH, LKML

On 07-10-22, 16:22, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 7, 2022 at 6:19 AM Vinod Koul <vkoul@kernel.org> wrote:
> >
> > soundwire updates for 6.1-rc1
> >
> >  - Pierre-Louis Bossart did another round of Intel driver cleanup to prepare
> >    for future code reorg which is expected in next cycle
> >  - Richard Fitzgerald provided bus unattach notifications processing during
> >    re-enumeration along with Cadence driver updates for this.
> >  - Srinivas Kandagatla added  Qualcomm driver updates to handle device0 status
>
> So one of the things I do for merge messages is I try to make them all
> _somewhat_ consistent.
>
> That means that I now ended up editing all your explanations to match
> the more common pattern, where when people credit the person doing the
> work they put the name in parentheses after the explanation.

Sorry I missed that.

> Partly that is just for consistency so that our logs read more like a
> uniform body of work, but it also means that you don't need to add
> pointless filler words to the explanations ("did", "provided",
> "added").
>
> So if you really want to mention peoples names (and it's ok, but it
> does show up in the individual commits, so I'm not convinced it's
> necessary in the merge commit overview of "what happened"), please try
> to use that model.
>
> And no, we're not really all _that_ consistent, and there's really a
> few different merge commit patterns that we have.
>
> Generally I try to make my editing fairly lightweight, but this was
> just _so_ different from the normal merge commit log pattern that I
> felt I needed to just edit a lot more than usual.
>
> So a gentle query to maybe try to make them more in line with the
> other patterns in the future to avoid extra work?

Thanks for letting me know. Sorry for the trouble this caused. Will
update my template to use the edited format you have applied.

--
~Vinod