* 6.1-rc: names of video outputs changed?
@ 2022-10-31 16:58 Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2022-10-31 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: airlied, dri-devel, daniel, kernel list

Hi!

I used to be able to do:

pavel@duo:~$     xrandr --output HDMI1 --mode 1920x1080 --primary
warning: output HDMI1 not found; ignoring
pavel@duo:~$     xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1280x1024 --below HDMI1
warning: output VGA1 not found; ignoring

...but now I have to do:

pavel@duo:~$     xrandr --output VGA-1 --mode 1280x1024 --below HDMI-1
xrandr: cannot find crtc for output VGA-1
pavel@duo:~$     xrandr --output LVDS-1 --off
pavel@duo:~$     xrandr --output VGA-1 --mode 1280x1024 --below HDMI-1

Notice the change from HDMI1 to HDMI-1. I believe that's new in 6.1 or
so. Who did it and why? Hardware is thinkpad x220, and this breaks my
scripts :-(.

Best regards,
								Pavel
--
People of Russia, stop Putin before his war on Ukraine escalates.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: 6.1-rc: names of video outputs changed?
@ 2022-10-31 17:08 ` Alex Deucher
From: Alex Deucher @ 2022-10-31 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek; +Cc: airlied, dri-devel, daniel, kernel list

Did you change which xorg DDX you are using?  E.g., between
xf86-video-modesetting and a xf86-video-[i915/radeon/amdgpu/etc.]?
They may have different naming conventions.

Alex

@ 2022-10-31 17:10 ` Ville Syrjälä
From: Ville Syrjälä @ 2022-10-31 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek; +Cc: airlied, dri-devel, daniel, kernel list

On Mon, Oct 31, 2022 at 05:58:34PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I used to be able to do:
>
> pavel@duo:~$     xrandr --output HDMI1 --mode 1920x1080 --primary
> warning: output HDMI1 not found; ignoring
> pavel@duo:~$     xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1280x1024 --below HDMI1
> warning: output VGA1 not found; ignoring
>
> ...but now I have to do:
>
> pavel@duo:~$     xrandr --output VGA-1 --mode 1280x1024 --below HDMI-1
> xrandr: cannot find crtc for output VGA-1
> pavel@duo:~$     xrandr --output LVDS-1 --off
> pavel@duo:~$     xrandr --output VGA-1 --mode 1280x1024 --below HDMI-1
>
> Notice the change from HDMI1 to HDMI-1. I believe that's new in 6.1 or
> so. Who did it and why? Hardware is thinkpad x220, and this breaks my
> scripts :-(.

Are you sure you didn't just switch from intel ddx to modesetting ddx?

--
Ville Syrjälä
Intel

* Re: 6.1-rc: names of video outputs changed?
@ 2022-10-31 17:19   ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2022-10-31 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ville Syrjälä; +Cc: airlied, dri-devel, daniel, kernel list

Hi!

> > I used to be able to do:
> >
> > pavel@duo:~$     xrandr --output HDMI1 --mode 1920x1080 --primary
> > warning: output HDMI1 not found; ignoring
> > pavel@duo:~$     xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1280x1024 --below HDMI1
> > warning: output VGA1 not found; ignoring
> >
> > ...but now I have to do:
> >
> > pavel@duo:~$     xrandr --output VGA-1 --mode 1280x1024 --below HDMI-1
> > xrandr: cannot find crtc for output VGA-1
> > pavel@duo:~$     xrandr --output LVDS-1 --off
> > pavel@duo:~$     xrandr --output VGA-1 --mode 1280x1024 --below HDMI-1
> >
> > Notice the change from HDMI1 to HDMI-1. I believe that's new in 6.1 or
> > so. Who did it and why? Hardware is thinkpad x220, and this breaks my
> > scripts :-(.
>
> Are you sure you didn't just switch from intel ddx to modesetting ddx?

How do I tell?

I don't think I did such changes recently. It is Debian 10.13 system
(rather old) so I don't think it did update for me.

Thanks and best regards,
								Pavel
--

@ 2022-10-31 17:27     ` Alex Deucher
From: Alex Deucher @ 2022-10-31 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek; +Cc: Ville Syrjälä, airlied, dri-devel, kernel list

On Mon, Oct 31, 2022 at 1:19 PM Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > > I used to be able to do:
> > >
> > > pavel@duo:~$     xrandr --output HDMI1 --mode 1920x1080 --primary
> > > warning: output HDMI1 not found; ignoring
> > > pavel@duo:~$     xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1280x1024 --below HDMI1
> > > warning: output VGA1 not found; ignoring
> > >
> > > ...but now I have to do:
> > >
> > > pavel@duo:~$     xrandr --output VGA-1 --mode 1280x1024 --below HDMI-1
> > > xrandr: cannot find crtc for output VGA-1
> > > pavel@duo:~$     xrandr --output LVDS-1 --off
> > > pavel@duo:~$     xrandr --output VGA-1 --mode 1280x1024 --below HDMI-1
> > >
> > > Notice the change from HDMI1 to HDMI-1. I believe that's new in 6.1 or
> > > so. Who did it and why? Hardware is thinkpad x220, and this breaks my
> > > scripts :-(.
> >
> > Are you sure you didn't just switch from intel ddx to modesetting ddx?
>
> How do I tell?

Check your xorg log.

Alex

@ 2022-10-31 17:29     ` Ville Syrjälä
From: Ville Syrjälä @ 2022-10-31 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek; +Cc: airlied, dri-devel, daniel, kernel list

On Mon, Oct 31, 2022 at 06:19:52PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > > I used to be able to do:
> > >
> > > pavel@duo:~$     xrandr --output HDMI1 --mode 1920x1080 --primary
> > > warning: output HDMI1 not found; ignoring
> > > pavel@duo:~$     xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1280x1024 --below HDMI1
> > > warning: output VGA1 not found; ignoring
> > >
> > > ...but now I have to do:
> > >
> > > pavel@duo:~$     xrandr --output VGA-1 --mode 1280x1024 --below HDMI-1
> > > xrandr: cannot find crtc for output VGA-1
> > > pavel@duo:~$     xrandr --output LVDS-1 --off
> > > pavel@duo:~$     xrandr --output VGA-1 --mode 1280x1024 --below HDMI-1
> > >
> > > Notice the change from HDMI1 to HDMI-1. I believe that's new in 6.1 or
> > > so. Who did it and why? Hardware is thinkpad x220, and this breaks my
> > > scripts :-(.
> >
> > Are you sure you didn't just switch from intel ddx to modesetting ddx?
>
> How do I tell?

You can read through your Xorg log file.

Or you can do something like this:
lsof -p $(pidof X) | grep _drv.so

--
Ville Syrjälä