* regression with TTY changes in v5.12-rc1
@ 2021-03-04 14:37 Pierre-Louis Bossart
From: Pierre-Louis Bossart @ 2021-03-04 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel
  Cc: Greg Kroah-Hartman, Jiri Slaby, Corey Minyard, Mark Brown, Takashi Iwai

Hi,
Our SOF/audio CI shows an across-the-board regression when we try
v5.12-rc1, specifically on pause/resume tests with an interactive
terminal running 'aplay -i' commands managed by expect to simulate the
user pressing the space bar to pause/unpause. It turns out the processes
are not longer killed and the audio devices remain busy (see publicly
available test results listed below).

git bisect points to commit 33d4ae9885987 ("drivers:tty:pty: Fix a race
causing data loss on close"). Reverting the patch fixes the issue on all
test devices.

Further analysis with Corey Minyard points to a problem where a slave
tty will not get a SIGHUP when the master is closed.

Unless there is an alternate fix, a revert looks necessary?

Regards
-Pierre

https://github.com/thesofproject/linux/pull/2772
https://sof-ci.01.org/linuxpr/PR2772/build5352/devicetest/

* Re: regression with TTY changes in v5.12-rc1
@ 2021-03-04 16:20 ` Greg Kroah-Hartman
From: Greg Kroah-Hartman @ 2021-03-04 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre-Louis Bossart
  Cc: linux-kernel, Jiri Slaby, Corey Minyard, Mark Brown, Takashi Iwai

On Thu, Mar 04, 2021 at 08:37:44AM -0600, Pierre-Louis Bossart wrote:
> Hi,
> Our SOF/audio CI shows an across-the-board regression when we try v5.12-rc1,
> specifically on pause/resume tests with an interactive terminal running
> 'aplay -i' commands managed by expect to simulate the user pressing the
> space bar to pause/unpause. It turns out the processes are not longer killed
> and the audio devices remain busy (see publicly available test results
> listed below).
>
> git bisect points to commit 33d4ae9885987 ("drivers:tty:pty: Fix a race
> causing data loss on close"). Reverting the patch fixes the issue on all
> test devices.
>
> Further analysis with Corey Minyard points to a problem where a slave tty
> will not get a SIGHUP when the master is closed.
>
> Unless there is an alternate fix, a revert looks necessary?
>
> Regards
> -Pierre
>
> https://github.com/thesofproject/linux/pull/2772
> https://sof-ci.01.org/linuxpr/PR2772/build5352/devicetest/