* eurotechwdt will cause reboot
@ 2007-08-01  3:03 Dave Young
From: Dave Young @ 2007-08-01  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wim; +Cc: LKML

Hi,
config eurotechwdt to yes will cause system silent reboot. Is it right
behaviour or a bug?

Regards
dave

* Re: eurotechwdt will cause reboot
@ 2007-08-01  5:58 ` Wim Van Sebroeck
From: Wim Van Sebroeck @ 2007-08-01  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Young; +Cc: LKML

Hi Dave,

> config eurotechwdt to yes will cause system silent reboot. Is it right
> behaviour or a bug?

I think this might be a bug. I'll look at the code and will ask you to do some
tests for me (if that is ok for you).

Greetings,
Wim.

* Re: eurotechwdt will cause reboot
@ 2007-08-01  6:22   ` Dave Young
From: Dave Young @ 2007-08-01  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wim Van Sebroeck; +Cc: LKML

>On 8/1/07, Wim Van Sebroeck <wim@iguana.be> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> > config eurotechwdt to yes will cause system silent reboot. Is it right
> > behaviour or a bug?
>
> I think this might be a bug. I'll look at the code and will ask you to do some
> tests for me (if that is ok for you).

I'm ok for me. BTW, the rebooting is too quick that I have to set the
boot_delay command line parameter to see it.

* Re: eurotechwdt will cause reboot
@ 2007-08-03  1:53     ` Dave Young
From: Dave Young @ 2007-08-03  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wim Van Sebroeck; +Cc: LKML, Andrew Morton

>On 8/1/07, Dave Young <hidave.darkstar@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On 8/1/07, Wim Van Sebroeck <wim@iguana.be> wrote:
> > Hi Dave,
> >
> > > config eurotechwdt to yes will cause system silent reboot. Is it right
> > > behaviour or a bug?
> >
> > I think this might be a bug. I'll look at the code and will ask you to do some
> > tests for me (if that is ok for you).
> >
> I'm ok for me. BTW, the rebooting is too quick that I have to set the
> boot_delay command line parameter to see it.

Hi,
News: 2.6.23-rc1-mm1 will reboot with eurotechwdt, but 2.6.23-rc1-mm2
will not. do you need the config files?

I will concentrate on this problem as well. Any hints how to debug?

I add andrew to cc.

@ 2007-08-03  3:09       ` Dave Young
From: Dave Young @ 2007-08-03  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wim Van Sebroeck; +Cc: LKML, Andrew Morton

>On 8/3/07, Dave Young <hidave.darkstar@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On 8/1/07, Dave Young <hidave.darkstar@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >On 8/1/07, Wim Van Sebroeck <wim@iguana.be> wrote:
> > > Hi Dave,

> > > I think this might be a bug. I'll look at the code and will ask you to do some
> > > tests for me (if that is ok for you).
> > >
> > I'm ok for me. BTW, the rebooting is too quick that I have to set he
> > boot_delay command line parameter to see it.
> >

> Hi,
> News: 2.6.23-rc1-mm1 will reboot with eurotechwdt, but 2.6.23-rc1-mm2
> will not. do you need the config files?
>
> I will concentrate on this problem as well. Any hints how to debug?

under 2.6.23-rc1-mm1, modprobe eurotechwdt kernel will print:

[ 4268.950385] timeout WDT timeout
[ 4268.950443] Initiating system reboot.
[ 4268.950472] eurwdt (IRQ 10) handled a spurious interrupt

* Re: eurotechwdt will cause reboot
@ 2007-08-03  6:24       ` Wim Van Sebroeck
From: Wim Van Sebroeck @ 2007-08-03  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Young; +Cc: LKML, Andrew Morton

Hi Dave,

> Hi,
> News: 2.6.23-rc1-mm1 will reboot with eurotechwdt, but 2.6.23-rc1-mm2
> will not. do you need the config files?
>
> I will concentrate on this problem as well. Any hints how to debug?

Yes: make a diff file between the two versions and see what has changed.
If something changed on the eurotechwdt file then that is probably the
answer you are looking for.  Else it will mean that your problem is fixed
by other code and then we will have to find out which code did this.

I was reading the datasheet to see how the driver worked. But I think
we want to concentrate now first on what the difference is between the
-mm1 and -mm2. Luckily something fixed allready your problem. Now it would
be usefull to know what that was.

Are your config files for both versions almost the same?

Greetings,
Wim.

* Re: eurotechwdt will cause reboot
@ 2007-08-03  7:09         ` Dave Young
From: Dave Young @ 2007-08-03  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wim Van Sebroeck; +Cc: LKML, Andrew Morton

>On 8/3/07, Wim Van Sebroeck <wim@iguana.be> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> > Hi,
> > News: 2.6.23-rc1-mm1 will reboot with eurotechwdt, but 2.6.23-rc1-mm2
> > will not. do you need the config files?
> >
> > I will concentrate on this problem as well. Any hints how to debug?
>
> Yes: make a diff file between the two versions and see what has changed.
> If something changed on the eurotechwdt file then that is probably the
> answer you are looking for.  Else it will mean that your problem is fixed
> by other code and then we will have to find out which code did this.
>
> I was reading the datasheet to see how the driver worked. But I think
> we want to concentrate now first on what the difference is between the
> -mm1 and -mm2. Luckily something fixed allready your problem. Now it would
> be usefull to know what that was.
>
> Are your config files for both versions almost the same?

Yes, I just copyed the -mm1 config file to -mm2, then make oldconfig &
make. I think they are mostly same.

* Re: eurotechwdt will cause reboot
@ 2007-08-06  9:32         ` Dave Young
From: Dave Young @ 2007-08-06  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wim Van Sebroeck; +Cc: LKML, Andrew Morton

>On 8/3/07, Wim Van Sebroeck <wim@iguana.be> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> > Hi,
> > News: 2.6.23-rc1-mm1 will reboot with eurotechwdt, but 2.6.23-rc1-mm2
> > will not. do you need the config files?
> >
> > I will concentrate on this problem as well. Any hints how to debug?
>
> Yes: make a diff file between the two versions and see what has changed.
> If something changed on the eurotechwdt file then that is probably the
> answer you are looking for.  Else it will mean that your problem is fixed
> by other code and then we will have to find out which code did this.
>
> I was reading the datasheet to see how the driver worked. But I think
> we want to concentrate now first on what the difference is between the
> -mm1 and -mm2. Luckily something fixed allready your problem. Now it would
> be usefull to know what that was.

Yes, I think I get the reason.

The -mm1 kernel/irq/manage.c send a fake irq via handler in
request_irq function. -mm2 surround it with  #ifdef CONFIG_DEBUG_SHIRQ
/ #endif.

Regards
dave