* perf: PERF_EVENT_IOC_RESET and multiplexing
@ 2012-08-20 18:53 Vince Weaver
From: Vince Weaver @ 2012-08-20 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel
  Cc: mingo, a.p.zijlstra, Paul Mackerras, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo,
	Stephane Eranian

Hello

I have a perf API question.

When I run PERF_EVENT_IOC_RESET, all it resets is the event count.
It does not reset the PERF_FORMAT_TOTAL_TIME_ENABLED or
PERF_FORMAT_TOTAL_TIME_RUNNING values.

Is this expected?  It means if I'm trying to do multiplexing and want to
reset the counts to zero, there's no way to reset the enabled/running
values.

I suppose I can just close/reopen the events, or allocate some space to
store the previous values, but that seems like unncessary overhead.

As an aside while I have your attention, can someone explain the
difference between the "inherit" and the "inherit_stat" options in
perf.attr?  I can't seem to make a test case exhibit a difference, and
the events/core.c code in the kernel is a horrible wall of uncommented
code that is nearly impossible to follow.

Thanks,

Vince
vweaver1@eecs.utk.edu

only message in thread, other threads:[~2012-08-20 18:53 UTC | newest]