* [ANNOUNCE] 3.7-ck1, BFS 426 for linux-3.7
@ 2012-12-16  0:16 Con Kolivas
From: Con Kolivas @ 2012-12-16  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

These are patches designed to improve system responsiveness and
interactivity with specific emphasis on the desktop, but suitable to
any commodity hardware workload.

Apply to 3.7.x:
-ck-ckhttp://ck.kolivas.org/patches/3.0/3.7/3.71/patch-3.71.bz2
or
-ck-ckhttp://ck.kolivas.org/patches/3.0/3.7/3.71/patch-3.71.lrz

Broken out tarball:
-ck-ckhttp://ck.kolivas.org/patches/3.0/3.7/3.71/3.71-broken-out.tar.bz2
or
-ck-ckhttp://ck.kolivas.org/patches/3.0/3.7/3.71/3.71-broken-out.tar.lrz

Discrete patches:
-ckhttp://ck.kolivas.org/patches/3.0/3.7/3.71/patches/

Latest BFS by itself:
http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/bfs/3.0/3.7/3.7-sched-bfs-426.patch

Web:
http://kernel.kolivas.org

Code blog when I feel like it:
http://ck-hack.blogspot.com/

--
-ck

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] 3.7-ck1, BFS 426 for linux-3.7
@ 2012-12-16  9:54 ` Con Kolivas
From: Con Kolivas @ 2012-12-16  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 11:16:31 Con Kolivas wrote:
> These are patches designed to improve system responsiveness and
> interactivity with specific emphasis on the desktop, but suitable to
> any commodity hardware workload.
>
> Apply to 3.7.x:
> -ck-ckhttp://ck.kolivas.org/patches/3.0/3.7/3.71/patch-3.71.bz2
> or
> -ck-ckhttp://ck.kolivas.org/patches/3.0/3.7/3.71/patch-3.71.lrz
>
> Broken out tarball:
> -ck-ckhttp://ck.kolivas.org/patches/3.0/3.7/3.71/3.71-broken-out.tar.bz2
> or
> -ck-ckhttp://ck.kolivas.org/patches/3.0/3.7/3.71/3.71-broken-out.tar.lrz
>
> Discrete patches:
> -ckhttp://ck.kolivas.org/patches/3.0/3.7/3.71/patches/
>
> Latest BFS by itself:
> http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/bfs/3.0/3.7/3.7-sched-bfs-426.patch
>
> Web:
> http://kernel.kolivas.org
>
> Code blog when I feel like it:
> http://ck-hack.blogspot.com/

Of course these links all got scrambled somehow, but I'm sure you can figure
out where the patches are :p

--

@ 2012-12-16 10:33   ` Hillf Danton
From: Hillf Danton @ 2012-12-16 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Con Kolivas; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 5:54 PM, Con Kolivas <kernel@kolivas.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 11:16:31 Con Kolivas wrote:
>> These are patches designed to improve system responsiveness and
>> interactivity with specific emphasis on the desktop, but suitable to
>> any commodity hardware workload.
>>
>> Apply to 3.7.x:
>> -ck-ckhttp://ck.kolivas.org/patches/3.0/3.7/3.71/patch-3.71.bz2
>> or
>> -ck-ckhttp://ck.kolivas.org/patches/3.0/3.7/3.71/patch-3.71.lrz
>>
>> Broken out tarball:
>> -ck-ckhttp://ck.kolivas.org/patches/3.0/3.7/3.71/3.71-broken-out.tar.bz2
>> or
>> -ck-ckhttp://ck.kolivas.org/patches/3.0/3.7/3.71/3.71-broken-out.tar.lrz
>>
>> Discrete patches:
>> -ckhttp://ck.kolivas.org/patches/3.0/3.7/3.71/patches/
>>
>> Latest BFS by itself:
>> http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/bfs/3.0/3.7/3.7-sched-bfs-426.patch
>>
>> Web:
>> http://kernel.kolivas.org
>>
>> Code blog when I feel like it:
>> http://ck-hack.blogspot.com/
>
> Of course these links all got scrambled somehow, but I'm sure you can figure
> out where the patches are :p

Better if changes after 425 are directly attached?

Hillf

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] 3.7-ck1, BFS 426 for linux-3.7
@ 2012-12-16 10:34     ` Con Kolivas
From: Con Kolivas @ 2012-12-16 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hillf Danton; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 18:33:14 Hillf Danton wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 5:54 PM, Con Kolivas <kernel@kolivas.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 11:16:31 Con Kolivas wrote:
> >> These are patches designed to improve system responsiveness and
> >> interactivity with specific emphasis on the desktop, but suitable to
> >> any commodity hardware workload.
> >>
> >> Apply to 3.7.x:
> >> -ck-ckhttp://ck.kolivas.org/patches/3.0/3.7/3.71/patch-3.71.bz2
> >> or
> >> -ck-ckhttp://ck.kolivas.org/patches/3.0/3.7/3.71/patch-3.71.lrz
> >>
> >> Broken out tarball:
> >> -ck-ckhttp://ck.kolivas.org/patches/3.0/3.7/3.71/3.71-broken-out.tar.bz2
> >> or
> >> -ck-ckhttp://ck.kolivas.org/patches/3.0/3.7/3.71/3.71-broken-out.tar.lrz
> >>
> >> Discrete patches:
> >> -ckhttp://ck.kolivas.org/patches/3.0/3.7/3.71/patches/
> >>
> >> Latest BFS by itself:
> >> http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/bfs/3.0/3.7/3.7-sched-bfs-426.patch
> >>
> >> Web:
> >> http://kernel.kolivas.org
> >>
> >> Code blog when I feel like it:
> >> http://ck-hack.blogspot.com/
> >
> > Of course these links all got scrambled somehow, but I'm sure you can
> > figure out where the patches are :p
>
> Better if changes after 425 are directly attached?
>
> Hillf

That's of not much use without all the merging changes as well. The 425 patch
for mainline 3.7 looks nothing like the 425 patch for 3.6. see my blog for
details.

Con
--

@ 2012-12-17 11:16 ` David Rientjes
From: David Rientjes @ 2012-12-17 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Con Kolivas; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012, Con Kolivas wrote:

> These are patches designed to improve system responsiveness and
> interactivity with specific emphasis on the desktop, but suitable to
> any commodity hardware workload.
>
> Apply to 3.7.x:
> -ck-ckhttp://ck.kolivas.org/patches/3.0/3.7/3.71/patch-3.71.bz2
> or
> -ck-ckhttp://ck.kolivas.org/patches/3.0/3.7/3.71/patch-3.71.lrz
>
> Broken out tarball:
> -ck-ckhttp://ck.kolivas.org/patches/3.0/3.7/3.71/3.71-broken-out.tar.bz2
> or
> -ck-ckhttp://ck.kolivas.org/patches/3.0/3.7/3.71/3.71-broken-out.tar.lrz
>
> Discrete patches:
> -ckhttp://ck.kolivas.org/patches/3.0/3.7/3.71/patches/
>
> Latest BFS by itself:
> http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/bfs/3.0/3.7/3.7-sched-bfs-426.patch
>
> Web:
> http://kernel.kolivas.org
>
> Code blog when I feel like it:
> http://ck-hack.blogspot.com/

One thing that caught my eye here was the hardwiring of SLUB as the slab
allocator and not making the others configurable.  I looked around a
little bit on your website and it says that's because of kernel crashes
with SLAB and SLOB and that peaked my interest even more.  Could you
describe the issues that you saw that makes those slab allocators have
trouble with this type of schedular design?

Thanks.