* Question about ftrace, dynamically allocated trampolines and dynamic fops
@ 2015-01-29  9:40 Miroslav Benes
From: Miroslav Benes @ 2015-01-29  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

solving a possible race condition in kGraft and thinking about the same in
klp live patching I looked quite a lot at ftrace code. One thing about
recent dynamic trampolines seems a bit odd. For dynamic fops
(FTRACE_OPS_FL_DYNAMIC is set in ops->flags) arch_ftrace_update_trampoline
is called only for nonpreemptive kernels in ftrace_update_trampoline. The
reason is obvious and well described in the comment there. However the
actual callback function in arch_ftrace_update_trampoline is
determined by call to ftrace_ops_get_func which gives generic
ftrace_ops_list_func for dynamic ops. This function disables preemption
(because of traversing rcu protected list), so it should be safe to use
dynamic trampolines even for dynamic fops in preemptive kernels. Is this
correct?

Or maybe the problem is the opposite. Why does the ftrace use
ftrace_ops_list_func in such situation? Even for nonpreemptive kernel and
dynamic fops ftrace_ops_list_func has unnecessary overhead.

I'm almost sure I must have missed something but I cannot see what. Could
you point me at the right direction?

Thanks a lot in advance,
--
Miroslav Benes
SUSE Labs

* Re: Question about ftrace, dynamically allocated trampolines and dynamic fops
@ 2015-01-29 14:41 ` Steven Rostedt
From: Steven Rostedt @ 2015-01-29 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 10:40:58 +0100 (CET)
Miroslav Benes <mbenes@suse.cz> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> solving a possible race condition in kGraft and thinking about the same in
> klp live patching I looked quite a lot at ftrace code. One thing about
> recent dynamic trampolines seems a bit odd. For dynamic fops
> (FTRACE_OPS_FL_DYNAMIC is set in ops->flags) arch_ftrace_update_trampoline
> is called only for nonpreemptive kernels in ftrace_update_trampoline. The
> reason is obvious and well described in the comment there. However the
> actual callback function in arch_ftrace_update_trampoline is
> determined by call to ftrace_ops_get_func which gives generic
> ftrace_ops_list_func for dynamic ops. This function disables preemption
> (because of traversing rcu protected list), so it should be safe to use
> dynamic trampolines even for dynamic fops in preemptive kernels. Is this
> correct?

No, the dynamic trampoline itself is not safe. I explained this at the
LinuxConEU/Plumbers conference, although the slides don't explain it
well :-/, otherwise I would have just pointed you to them.

Basically what the issue is, if a task jumps to the dynamic trampoline
and gets preempted, how would you ever free that trampoline again?

Now for live kernel patching, we could add another flag that says
permanent, that means the trampoline and the ops will never be free or
change, and then it would be safe to use dynamic trampolines.

> Or maybe the problem is the opposite. Why does the ftrace use
> ftrace_ops_list_func in such situation? Even for nonpreemptive kernel and
> dynamic fops ftrace_ops_list_func has unnecessary overhead.

It points the dynamic ops (in non-preempt) to ftrace_ops_list_func? Are
you sure about that. One way to verify is to
cat /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/enabled_functions, which should show you
want the dynamic ops points to.

-- Steve

* Re: Question about ftrace, dynamically allocated trampolines and dynamic fops
@ 2015-01-30 10:08   ` Miroslav Benes
From: Miroslav Benes @ 2015-01-30 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 29 Jan 2015, Steven Rostedt wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 10:40:58 +0100 (CET)
> Miroslav Benes <mbenes@suse.cz> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > solving a possible race condition in kGraft and thinking about the same in
> > klp live patching I looked quite a lot at ftrace code. One thing about
> > recent dynamic trampolines seems a bit odd. For dynamic fops
> > (FTRACE_OPS_FL_DYNAMIC is set in ops->flags) arch_ftrace_update_trampoline
> > is called only for nonpreemptive kernels in ftrace_update_trampoline. The
> > reason is obvious and well described in the comment there. However the
> > actual callback function in arch_ftrace_update_trampoline is
> > determined by call to ftrace_ops_get_func which gives generic
> > ftrace_ops_list_func for dynamic ops. This function disables preemption
> > (because of traversing rcu protected list), so it should be safe to use
> > dynamic trampolines even for dynamic fops in preemptive kernels. Is this
> > correct?
>
> No, the dynamic trampoline itself is not safe. I explained this at the
> LinuxConEU/Plumbers conference, although the slides don't explain it
> well :-/, otherwise I would have just pointed you to them.
>
> Basically what the issue is, if a task jumps to the dynamic trampoline
> and gets preempted, how would you ever free that trampoline again?

Thanks for the reply. I know there is the problem with preemption and
trampolines. In such case schedule_on_each_cpu in ftrace_shutdown is not
enough. But it seems I didn't describe the current problem clearly. So
for x86...

The function ftrace_ops_get_func returns the function which the trampoline
should call. For FTRACE_OPS_FL_DYNAMIC it always returns
ftrace_ops_list_func

ftrace_func_t ftrace_ops_get_func(struct ftrace_ops *ops)
{
        /*
         * If this is a dynamic ops or we force list func,
         * then it needs to call the list anyway.
         */
        if (ops->flags & FTRACE_OPS_FL_DYNAMIC || FTRACE_FORCE_LIST_FUNC)
                return ftrace_ops_list_func;
[...]

This function is called in arch_ftrace_update_trampoline after the
trampoline is created (it is also called in update_ftrace_function, but
that is not important for dynamic trampolines)...

void arch_ftrace_update_trampoline(struct ftrace_ops *ops)
{
[...]
        if (ops->trampoline) {
                /*
                 * The ftrace_ops caller may set up its own trampoline.
                 * In such a case, this code must not modify it.
                 */
                if (!(ops->flags & FTRACE_OPS_FL_ALLOC_TRAMP))
                        return;
        } else {
                ops->trampoline = create_trampoline(ops, &size);
                if (!ops->trampoline)
                        return;
                ops->trampoline_size = size;
        }

        offset = calc_trampoline_call_offset(ops->flags &
FTRACE_OPS_FL_SAVE_REGS);
        ip = ops->trampoline + offset;

        func = ftrace_ops_get_func(ops);

        /* Do a safe modify in case the trampoline is executing */
        new = ftrace_call_replace(ip, (unsigned long)func);
        ret = update_ftrace_func(ip, new);
[...]
}

Thus the dynamic trampoline for FTRACE_OPS_FL_DYNAMIC ops always calls
ftrace_ops_list_func.

Now, arch_ftrace_update_trampoline is called by
ftrace_update_trampoline...

static void ftrace_update_trampoline(struct ftrace_ops *ops)
{
/*
 * Currently there's no safe way to free a trampoline when the kernel
 * is configured with PREEMPT. That is because a task could be preempted
 * when it jumped to the trampoline, it may be preempted for a long time
 * depending on the system load, and currently there's no way to know
 * when it will be off the trampoline. If the trampoline is freed
 * too early, when the task runs again, it will be executing on freed
 * memory and crash.
 */
#ifdef CONFIG_PREEMPT
        /* Currently, only non dynamic ops can have a trampoline */
        if (ops->flags & FTRACE_OPS_FL_DYNAMIC)
                return;
#endif

        arch_ftrace_update_trampoline(ops);
}

The comment is theoretically correct. But since for FTRACE_OPS_FL_DYNAMIC
ftrace_ops_list_func is always called it is also not valid.
ftrace_ops_list_func disables preemption so schedule_on_each_cpu in
ftrace_shutdown does the trick.

Anyway I think the problem is the opposite. There should be no
ftrace_ops_list_func for dynamic trampoline. See below, please...

> Now for live kernel patching, we could add another flag that says
> permanent, that means the trampoline and the ops will never be free or
> change, and then it would be safe to use dynamic trampolines.

Yes, that would be the solution. Or could we use call_rcu_tasks? If I
remember correctly you wrote somewhere that you had such patch already
prepared but wanted to test it more. Is that correct?

> > Or maybe the problem is the opposite. Why does the ftrace use
> > ftrace_ops_list_func in such situation? Even for nonpreemptive kernel and
> > dynamic fops ftrace_ops_list_func has unnecessary overhead.
>
> It points the dynamic ops (in non-preempt) to ftrace_ops_list_func? Are
> you sure about that. One way to verify is to
> cat /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/enabled_functions, which should show you
> want the dynamic ops points to.

I think so. One thing is the code above. And verification in
next-20150130 in qemu, CONFIG_PREEMPT=n,...

I livepatched /proc/cmdline and there is no other tracing involved

dsc1:~ # cat /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/enabled_functions
cmdline_proc_show (1) R I	tramp: 0xffffffffa0004000 ->ftrace_ops_list_func+0x0/0x1a0
dsc1:~

I think that there should be direct call to the callback function (new
cmdline_proc_show).

Miroslav

* Re: Question about ftrace, dynamically allocated trampolines and dynamic fops
@ 2015-01-30 14:12     ` Steven Rostedt
From: Steven Rostedt @ 2015-01-30 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 11:08:19 +0100 (CET)
Miroslav Benes <mbenes@suse.cz> wrote:

> Anyway I think the problem is the opposite. There should be no
> ftrace_ops_list_func for dynamic trampoline. See below, please...
>

> I think so. One thing is the code above. And verification in
> next-20150130 in qemu, CONFIG_PREEMPT=n,...
>
> I livepatched /proc/cmdline and there is no other tracing involved
>
> dsc1:~ # cat /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/enabled_functions
> cmdline_proc_show (1) R I	tramp: 0xffffffffa0004000 ->ftrace_ops_list_func+0x0/0x1a0
> dsc1:~
>
> I think that there should be direct call to the callback function (new
> cmdline_proc_show).

Ah, OK I see the issue. Yeah, it shouldn't be that way. I'll have to
fix that.

Thanks,

-- Steve