* kconfig-frontends-3.6.0-0 released
@ 2012-10-06 15:55 Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2012-10-06 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kbuild, linux-kernel; +Cc: Yann E. MORIN

Hello All!

I'm pleased to announce the release of kconfig-frontends 3.6.0-0!
Go download it there:
    http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/download/kconfig-frontends/kconfig-frontends-3.6.0-0.tar.xz
    http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/download/kconfig-frontends/kconfig-frontends-3.6.0-0.tar.bz2

The kconfig-frontends package provides the kconfig parser, as well as all the
kconfig frontends and utilities, packaged using the traditional autotools, so
the kconfig infrastructure is easy to deploy, either locally or system-wide.

What's new since 3.5.0-0:
  - updated from linux-3.6
  - all frontends now build under Cygwin (but see docs/known-issues.txt)

As a reminder, the home for kconfig-frontends is:
  http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/projects/kconfig-frontends

And the repository can be browsed or hg-cloned from:
  http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/hg/kconfig-frontends

kconfig-frontends is not meant to replace the in-tree Linux kconfig, but
really targets third-party projects that want an easy path to following
the evolution of kconfig, without the burden to manually synchronise from
the Linux kernel source tree.

Any comment, any feedback, any patch is welcome! ;-)

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

* Re: kconfig-frontends-3.6.0-0 released
@ 2013-01-12 17:25 ` Jan Engelhardt
From: Jan Engelhardt @ 2013-01-12 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yann E. MORIN; +Cc: linux-kbuild, linux-kernel

On Saturday 2012-10-06 17:55, Yann E. MORIN wrote:

>Hello All!
>
>I'm pleased to announce the release of kconfig-frontends 3.6.0-0!
>Go download it there:
>    http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/download/kconfig-frontends/kconfig-frontends-3.6.0-0.tar.xz

Please stick to a single separator, i.e. "3.6.0.0". The dash is already
used by distributions to mark same-source releases.

>And the repository can be browsed or hg-cloned from:
>  http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/hg/kconfig-frontends

Ugh, hg. There goes any chance for contributions.

bootstrap.sh
>printf "Running libtoolize...\n"
>libtoolize --copy --force
>printf "Running aclocal...\n"
>aclocal -Wall --force

Not again. autoreconf has existed for so long, why are people still
hand-coding the boilerplate?

configure.ac
> By default, do not build with -Wall, unless the user asks for it

There normally is no excuse for not using -Wall by default,
save for trying to compile it with msvc.

>AC_HEADER_STDC
>AC_HEADER_STDBOOL
>AC_CHECK_HEADERS([ fcntl.h limits.h locale.h ])
>AC_CHECK_HEADERS([ stdlib.h string.h sys/time.h unistd.h ])
>AC_TYPE_SIZE_T
>AC_FUNC_MALLOC
>AC_FUNC_REALLOC
>AC_FUNC_ALLOCA
>AC_CHECK_FUNCS([ bzero memmove memset ])
>AC_CHECK_FUNCS([ strcasecmp strchr strcspn strdup strncasecmp strpbrk strrchr
>strspn strtol ])
>AC_CHECK_FUNCS([ gettimeofday mkdir regcomp setlocale uname ])

All of this seems pointless because you never use the results
(HAVE_FCNTL_H, HAVE_LIMITS_H, etc.)

ncurses has the ncurses{w,}{6,5}-config scripts that ought to be called
to determine the locations.

* Re: kconfig-frontends-3.6.0-0 released
@ 2013-01-13 18:59   ` Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2013-01-13 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Engelhardt; +Cc: linux-kbuild, linux-kernel

Jan, All,

On Saturday 12 January 2013 Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> On Saturday 2012-10-06 17:55, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> >I'm pleased to announce the release of kconfig-frontends 3.6.0-0!
> >Go download it there:
> >    http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/download/kconfig-frontends/kconfig-frontends-3.6.0-0.tar.xz
>
> Please stick to a single separator, i.e. "3.6.0.0". The dash is already
> used by distributions to mark same-source releases.

Yes, that's already been fixed (for the reason you mention):
    http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/hg/kconfig-frontends/rev/2d6b6198ef61

Note also that 3.7.0.0 has since been released with this correct
versionning scheme:
    http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-kbuild/msg07020.html

> >And the repository can be browsed or hg-cloned from:
> >  http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/hg/kconfig-frontends
>
> Ugh, hg. There goes any chance for contributions.

I am not as confident with git as I am with Mercurial, hence my choice
of Mercurial rather than git. The most important to me was that the code
be available in some form of DVCS, *and* that I did not f*ck up the repo.

In the first announcement, I expressely noted that I wanted to switch to
using git:
    http://marc.info/?l=linux-kbuild&m=133219473622797&w=2

---8<---
The plans for the future are:
  [...]
  - migrate the repository to git (short-term)
---8<---

Well, short-term is not always as short as one would like... :-(
It's in progress, now that I have gained some confidence in my ability
not to f*ck up with git in less time than is needed to write it... ;-)

> bootstrap.sh
> >printf "Running libtoolize...\n"
> >libtoolize --copy --force
> >printf "Running aclocal...\n"
> >aclocal -Wall --force
>
> Not again. autoreconf has existed for so long, why are people still
> hand-coding the boilerplate?

(Note: this is my very first completely autotools-based package.)

First, I have to admit that I looked at how other packages do it, and
I mimicked what they do, rather than invent my own.

Second, I know of autoreconf, but it does not work for 'foreign' packages
(ie. packages that do not have the NEWS and Changelog files, for example):

[--SNIP--]
Makefile.am: required file `./NEWS' not found
Makefile.am: required file `./ChangeLog' not found
[--SNIP--]

I do not have a need for such files in this package. So, it is a 'foreign'
package, and must be handled as such by automake.

How does one autoreconf a 'foreign' package?

> configure.ac
> > By default, do not build with -Wall, unless the user asks for it
>
> There normally is no excuse for not using -Wall by default,
> save for trying to compile it with msvc.

Sorry, did you mean: "-Wall should be the default" ?
Yes, I was thinking of building with -Wall by default once the packaging
would be a bit more stable. Now seems like a good time to add this.

> >AC_HEADER_STDC
> >AC_HEADER_STDBOOL
> >AC_CHECK_HEADERS([ fcntl.h limits.h locale.h ])
> >AC_CHECK_HEADERS([ stdlib.h string.h sys/time.h unistd.h ])
> >AC_TYPE_SIZE_T
> >AC_FUNC_MALLOC
> >AC_FUNC_REALLOC
> >AC_FUNC_ALLOCA
> >AC_CHECK_FUNCS([ bzero memmove memset ])
> >AC_CHECK_FUNCS([ strcasecmp strchr strcspn strdup strncasecmp strpbrk strrchr
> >strspn strtol ])
> >AC_CHECK_FUNCS([ gettimeofday mkdir regcomp setlocale uname ])
>
> All of this seems pointless because you never use the results
> (HAVE_FCNTL_H, HAVE_LIMITS_H, etc.)

Right. This is the output of autoscan.

The source code is directly extracted from the Linux kernel source tree,
so we can't decently modify it to add checks around each #include directive.

As I see it, the only action we could take is to bail out if any is missing.
Is this what you meant?

Thank you for the review! :-)

@ 2013-01-13 21:09     ` Jan Engelhardt
From: Jan Engelhardt @ 2013-01-13 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yann E. MORIN; +Cc: linux-kbuild, linux-kernel

On Sunday 2013-01-13 19:59, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
>> >printf "Running libtoolize...\n"
>> >libtoolize --copy --force
>> >printf "Running aclocal...\n"
>> >aclocal -Wall --force
>>
>> Not again. autoreconf has existed for so long, why are people still
>> hand-coding the boilerplate?
>
>(Note: this is my very first completely autotools-based package.)
>First, I have to admit that I looked at how other packages do it, and
>I mimicked what they do, rather than invent my own.

Ok, sensible. Yes, a lot of other packages make bad examples :(
Let's hope for them to be still alive and updated when automake 1.14
is out - it will remove and flag out some terribly old remnants.

>Second, I know of autoreconf, but it does not work for 'foreign' packages
>(ie. packages that do not have the NEWS and Changelog files, for example):
>
>[--SNIP--]
>Makefile.am: required file `./NEWS' not found
>Makefile.am: required file `./ChangeLog' not found
>[--SNIP--]
>
>I do not have a need for such files in this package. So, it is a 'foreign'
>package, and must be handled as such by automake.
>
>How does one autoreconf a 'foreign' package?

Surely, just that:
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([foreign])

>> > By default, do not build with -Wall, unless the user asks for it
>>
>> There normally is no excuse for not using -Wall by default,
>> save for trying to compile it with msvc.
>
>Sorry, did you mean: "-Wall should be the default" ?

Indeed.

>Yes, I was thinking of building with -Wall by default once the packaging
>would be a bit more stable. Now seems like a good time to add this.

>> >AC_HEADER_STDC
>> >AC_HEADER_STDBOOL
>> >AC_CHECK_HEADERS([ fcntl.h limits.h locale.h ])
>> >AC_CHECK_HEADERS([ stdlib.h string.h sys/time.h unistd.h ])
>> >AC_TYPE_SIZE_T
>> >AC_FUNC_MALLOC
>> >AC_FUNC_REALLOC
>> >AC_FUNC_ALLOCA
>> >AC_CHECK_FUNCS([ bzero memmove memset ])
>> >AC_CHECK_FUNCS([ strcasecmp strchr strcspn strdup strncasecmp strpbrk strrchr
>> >strspn strtol ])
>> >AC_CHECK_FUNCS([ gettimeofday mkdir regcomp setlocale uname ])
>>
>> All of this seems pointless because you never use the results
>> (HAVE_FCNTL_H, HAVE_LIMITS_H, etc.)
>
>Right. This is the output of autoscan.

I find that program quite useless..

>As I see it, the only action we could take is to bail out if any is missing.
>Is this what you meant?

You could do that, though I would simply direct users to read the compiler
error message. That enhances (hopefully) both their knowledge on compiling,
and reduces the walltime configure runs.

If I understood right, kconfig-frontends is supposed to run on non-Linux too,
and I have yet to see a modern platform that's missing any of the stdc
functions like malloc and strchr.

* Re: kconfig-frontends-3.6.0-0 released
@ 2013-01-13 21:58       ` Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2013-01-13 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Engelhardt; +Cc: linux-kbuild, linux-kernel

Jan, All,

On Sunday 13 January 2013 Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> On Sunday 2013-01-13 19:59, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> >> Not again. autoreconf has existed for so long, why are people still
> >> hand-coding the boilerplate?
[--SNIP--]
> >How does one autoreconf a 'foreign' package?
>
> Surely, just that:
> AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([foreign])

Aha! :-)

Just one small nit left: autoreconf does not grok AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR and
does not create it, so aclocal complains. Easily worked around, though.

[--SNIP--]
> >> All of this seems pointless because you never use the results
> >> (HAVE_FCNTL_H, HAVE_LIMITS_H, etc.)
[--SNIP--]
> >As I see it, the only action we could take is to bail out if any is missing.
> >Is this what you meant?
>
> You could do that, though I would simply direct users to read the compiler
> error message. That enhances (hopefully) both their knowledge on compiling,
> and reduces the walltime configure runs.

OK, sounds reasonable.

> If I understood right, kconfig-frontends is supposed to run on non-Linux too,
> and I have yet to see a modern platform that's missing any of the stdc
> functions like malloc and strchr.

Yes, this is reasonable too. I'll do that.

Thank you very much! :-)

@ 2013-01-13 22:37       ` Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2013-01-13 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Engelhardt; +Cc: linux-kbuild, linux-kernel

Jan, All,

On Sunday 13 January 2013 Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> On Sunday 2013-01-13 19:59, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
[--SNIP--]
> >How does one autoreconf a 'foreign' package?
> Surely, just that:
> AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([foreign])

> >Sorry, did you mean: "-Wall should be the default" ?
> Indeed.

[--SNIP--]
> >> All of this seems pointless because you never use the results
> >> (HAVE_FCNTL_H, HAVE_LIMITS_H, etc.)

> >As I see it, the only action we could take is to bail out if any is missing.
> >Is this what you meant?
>
> You could do that, though I would simply direct users to read the compiler
> error message. That enhances (hopefully) both their knowledge on compiling,
> and reduces the walltime configure runs.

OK, I've pushed a few changes with your suggestions. Thanks again! :-)

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.