* swsuspend: possible with VIA Eden processor? Or alternatives?
@ 2003-01-18 17:14 Wolfgang Fritz
From: Wolfgang Fritz @ 2003-01-18 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

the swsuspend mini howto says that a processor with pse/pse36 feature is
required for swsupend in 2.4.

The VIA Eden processor on my EPIA ME6000 board gives:

vdr:~ # cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : CentaurHauls
cpu family      : 6
model           : 7
model name      : VIA Samuel 2
stepping        : 3
cpu MHz         : 599.731
cache size      : 64 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu de tsc msr cx8 mtrr pge mmx 3dnow
bogomips        : 1196.03

So I am obviously out of luck with 2.4 kernels, but what about 2.5 (the
mini-howto is silent here)?

Or are there alternatives to sw suspend for fast boot in this case
(preferred for 2.4 kernels as I do not have a 2.5 kernel tree and the
required infrastructure up to now)

Wolfgang

* Re: swsuspend: possible with VIA Eden processor? Or alternatives?
@ 2003-01-19 18:28 ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2003-01-19 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wolfgang Fritz; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi!

> the swsuspend mini howto says that a processor with pse/pse36 feature is
> required for swsupend in 2.4.
>
> The VIA Eden processor on my EPIA ME6000 board gives:
>
> vdr:~ # cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : CentaurHauls
> cpu family      : 6
> model           : 7
> model name      : VIA Samuel 2
> stepping        : 3
> cpu MHz         : 599.731
> cache size      : 64 KB
> fdiv_bug        : no
> hlt_bug         : no
> f00f_bug        : no
> coma_bug        : no
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 1
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu de tsc msr cx8 mtrr pge mmx 3dnow
> bogomips        : 1196.03
>
> So I am obviously out of luck with 2.4 kernels, but what about 2.5 (the
> mini-howto is silent here)?

Same there. With some hacking, it may be possile to fix it.
								Pavel
--
Worst form of spam? Adding advertisment signatures ala sourceforge.net.
What goes next? Inserting advertisment *into* email?

* Re: swsuspend: possible with VIA Eden processor? Or alternatives?
@ 2003-01-20 12:51 ` Dave Jones
From: Dave Jones @ 2003-01-20 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wolfgang Fritz; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 06:14:04PM +0100, Wolfgang Fritz wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > the swsuspend mini howto says that a processor with pse/pse36 feature is
 > required for swsupend in 2.4.
 >
 > So I am obviously out of luck with 2.4 kernels, but what about 2.5 (the
 > mini-howto is silent here)?

>From include/asm-i386/suspend.h

static inline void
arch_prepare_suspend(void)
{
    if (!cpu_has_pse)
        panic("pse required");
}

There's really no requirement that you *need* PSE to be able to
do suspend, but it seems no-one has stepped forward to write the
necessary code to support non-PSE afaics.

		Dave

--

@ 2003-01-20 16:06   ` Wolfgang Fritz
From: Wolfgang Fritz @ 2003-01-20 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Dave Jones wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 06:14:04PM +0100, Wolfgang Fritz wrote:
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > the swsuspend mini howto says that a processor with pse/pse36 feature is
>  > required for swsupend in 2.4.
>  >
>  > So I am obviously out of luck with 2.4 kernels, but what about 2.5 (the
>  > mini-howto is silent here)?
>
>>From include/asm-i386/suspend.h
>
> static inline void
> arch_prepare_suspend(void)
> {
>     if (!cpu_has_pse)
>         panic("pse required");
> }

I assume this is from a 2.5 kernel (I have no source tree available
here). I'll check that tomorrow in the office.

> There's really no requirement that you *need* PSE to be able to
> do suspend, but it seems no-one has stepped forward to write the
> necessary code to support non-PSE afaics.

I don't even know what pse means :-(

Thank you

Wolfgang

@ 2003-01-21 15:15     ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2003-01-21 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wolfgang Fritz; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi!

> > > the swsuspend mini howto says that a processor with pse/pse36 feature
> > is > required for swsupend in 2.4.
> > >
> > > So I am obviously out of luck with 2.4 kernels, but what about 2.5 (the
> > > mini-howto is silent here)?
> >
> >>From include/asm-i386/suspend.h
> >
> >static inline void
> >arch_prepare_suspend(void)
> >{
> >    if (!cpu_has_pse)
> >        panic("pse required");
> >}
> >
> I assume this is from a 2.5 kernel (I have no source tree available
> here). I'll check that tomorrow in the office.

If it is not in 2.4.X it only means 2.4.X will randomly flip bits in
memory during resume.

> >There's really no requirement that you *need* PSE to be able to
> >do suspend, but it seems no-one has stepped forward to write the
> >necessary code to support non-PSE afaics.
> >
> I don't even know what pse means :-(

4MB pages, basically.

[Hey, this is great time to learn something new!]
								Pavel