* Running an application on a new VT
@ 2019-09-16 11:53 Christoph Pleger
From: Christoph Pleger @ 2019-09-16 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, linux-admin

Hello,

I am using the program openvt to run another program. openvt is used to
open a new virtual terminal and then run the given program on the new
VT. In my case, I want to start a KDE Plasma session on the new VT.

Unfortunately, this did not work as expected: After entering the command
'openvt -s -w -- dbus-run-session startplasmacompositor', the KDE
session did not start on the new VT, but on tty1, from where I had
entered the openvt command. Then, I tried with 'openvt -s -w --
/bin/bash', but though this ran bash on a new virtual terminal, entering
'dbus-run-session startplasmacompositor' on the new VT caused a switch
back to tty1 and again, the desktop session started there.

Does anybody know why not the new VT is used for the desktop session and
how that behaviour can be changed?

Regards
   Christoph

* Re: Running an application on a new VT
@ 2019-09-18 15:32 ` Christoph Pleger
From: Christoph Pleger @ 2019-09-18 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello,

On 2019-09-16 13:53, Christoph Pleger wrote:

> I am using the program openvt to run another program. openvt is used
> to open a new virtual terminal and then run the given program on the
> new VT. In my case, I want to start a KDE Plasma session on the new
> VT.
>
> Unfortunately, this did not work as expected: After entering the
> command 'openvt -s -w -- dbus-run-session startplasmacompositor', the
> KDE session did not start on the new VT, but on tty1, from where I had
> entered the openvt command. Then, I tried with 'openvt -s -w --
> /bin/bash', but though this ran bash on a new virtual terminal,
> entering 'dbus-run-session startplasmacompositor' on the new VT caused
> a switch back to tty1 and again, the desktop session started there.
>
> Does anybody know why not the new VT is used for the desktop session
> and how that behaviour can be changed?

This is totally crazy: Even when I omit the -w option to openvt, so that
I can log out from tty1, then switch to the new VT and enter
'dbus-run-session startplasmacompositor' there, the KDE session starts
on tty1, though of course logging out from /dev/tty1 changed its owner
to root. So, how can a process with real UID, effective UID and saved
UID (I checked that) change the ownership of a device that was owned by
root?

Still nobody who has an idea what is going on here with the virtual
terminals?

Regards
   Christoph