* pty question [OT]
@ 2003-06-15  0:25 Neal Becker
From: Neal Becker @ 2003-06-15  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I suppose this isn't exactly specific to linux kernel.  I have some programs
running at work, each writing results to stdout.  Each is running within a
shell within some type of xterm-like device.  I want to be able to check on
the results from home.

I know if I had thought about it in advance, I could use screen, or even
xemacs/gnuclient.

I'm wondering if I can get anything by looking at /proc/pid/fd/.
For example, I'm running top and I see:

ls -l /proc/5012/fd/
total 0
lrwx------    1 nbecker  nbecker        64 Jun 14 20:24 0 -> /dev/pts/2
lrwx------    1 nbecker  nbecker        64 Jun 14 20:24 1 -> /dev/pts/2
lrwx------    1 nbecker  nbecker        64 Jun 14 20:24 2 -> /dev/pts/2
lr-x------    1 nbecker  nbecker        64 Jun 14 20:24 3 -> /proc/uptime
lr-x------    1 nbecker  nbecker        64 Jun 14 20:24 4 -> /proc/stat
lr-x------    1 nbecker  nbecker        64 Jun 14 20:24 5 -> /proc/loadavg
lr-x------    1 nbecker  nbecker        64 Jun 14 20:24 6 -> /proc/meminfo

I guess the problem is I can't find any documentation on devpts.  Maybe if I
could find some I'd be able to figure out a device I could open to peek at
the stdout of a process?

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-06-15  0:39 UTC | newest]