* Suspend to memory is freezing my machine
@ 2008-05-04  7:37 Zdenek Kabelac
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Zdenek Kabelac @ 2008-05-04  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

With recent 2.6.25 & 2.6.26-rc1 git (around 1 week) I get occasionally
complete freeze of my T61 during suspend. (dual core, 2GB).

I'm running kernel with no_console_suspend - but all I can see is
blinking cursor on an empty screen - thus even when I run kernel with
most debug options turned on, I can't pass more details so far.  I run
suspend with with SD card in - so maybe some update in the MMC driver
might be responsible for this ?

Also - I think that option no_console_suspend doens't work correctly -
as many times with suspend I do not see any log message on my console
screen. However sometimes the log is shown.

Zdenek

* Re: Suspend to memory is freezing my machine
@ 2008-05-04 10:40 ` Rafael J. Wysocki
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2008-05-04 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday, 4 of May 2008, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
> Hello

Hi,

> With recent 2.6.25 & 2.6.26-rc1 git (around 1 week) I get occasionally
> complete freeze of my T61 during suspend. (dual core, 2GB).

How reproducible is this?

> I'm running kernel with no_console_suspend - but all I can see is
> blinking cursor on an empty screen - thus even when I run kernel with
> most debug options turned on, I can't pass more details so far.  I run
> suspend with with SD card in - so maybe some update in the MMC driver
> might be responsible for this ?
>
> Also - I think that option no_console_suspend doens't work correctly -
> as many times with suspend I do not see any log message on my console
> screen. However sometimes the log is shown.

It would be helpful if you could verify if:

(1) The problem occurs without no_console_suspend.
(2) The problem occurs without the SD card.

Thanks,
Rafael

* Re: Suspend to memory is freezing my machine
@ 2008-05-04 12:32   ` Jacek Luczak
From: Jacek Luczak @ 2008-05-04 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rafael J. Wysocki pisze:
> On Sunday, 4 of May 2008, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
>> Hello
>
> Hi,
>
>> With recent 2.6.25 & 2.6.26-rc1 git (around 1 week) I get occasionally
>> complete freeze of my T61 during suspend. (dual core, 2GB).
>
> How reproducible is this?
>
>> I'm running kernel with no_console_suspend - but all I can see is
>> blinking cursor on an empty screen - thus even when I run kernel with
>> most debug options turned on, I can't pass more details so far.  I run
>> suspend with with SD card in - so maybe some update in the MMC driver
>> might be responsible for this ?
>>
>> Also - I think that option no_console_suspend doens't work correctly -
>> as many times with suspend I do not see any log message on my console
>> screen. However sometimes the log is shown.
>
> It would be helpful if you could verify if:
>
> (1) The problem occurs without no_console_suspend.
> (2) The problem occurs without the SD card.

Hi Rafael,

same problem here, although I was able to resume system (it's basically Intel
machine) , but it was unusable - I was able to switch between terminals and see
output from kernel. So there was:
	- Disabling irq #19;
	- some kind of lock spinning on disk:
IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage
Controller IDE (rev 02)
	but I can't provide more output of that lock now - no sign in logs.

I've made some successful suspend/resume all without sound card active without
problem. Those appear with sound card active, but I must take closer look - will
send info later.

-Jacek

* Re: Suspend to memory is freezing my machine
@ 2008-05-04 21:02   ` Zdenek Kabelac
From: Zdenek Kabelac @ 2008-05-04 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

2008/5/4, Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@sisk.pl>:
> On Sunday, 4 of May 2008, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
>  > Hello
>
>  Hi,
>

>  > With recent 2.6.25 & 2.6.26-rc1 git (around 1 week) I get occasionally
>  > complete freeze of my T61 during suspend. (dual core, 2GB).
>

> How reproducible is this?

Unfortunately not at my wish - usually in the least expected moment.
(Actually I've once even put notebook into the bag without checking
its sleeping :(
so it has got some hot inside :)  - from that time I has to keep an eye on this

>  > I'm running kernel with no_console_suspend - but all I can see is
>  > blinking cursor on an empty screen - thus even when I run kernel with
>  > most debug options turned on, I can't pass more details so far.  I run
>  > suspend with with SD card in - so maybe some update in the MMC driver
>  > might be responsible for this ?
>  >
>  > Also - I think that option no_console_suspend doens't work correctly -
>  > as many times with suspend I do not see any log message on my console
>  > screen. However sometimes the log is shown.
>

> It would be helpful if you could verify if:
>
>  (1) The problem occurs without no_console_suspend.

Yes - this has no influence - happens with & without

>  (2) The problem occurs without the SD card.

Will keep an eye on this - I usually keep SD card in.

@ 2008-05-05 14:10 ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2008-05-05 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

> Also - I think that option no_console_suspend doens't work correctly -
> as many times with suspend I do not see any log message on my console
> screen. However sometimes the log is shown.

Try switching consoles with alt-arrows... s2ram plays with console
switches so messages may be there but on other console.
									Pavel

* Re: Suspend to memory is freezing my machine
@ 2008-05-06  9:15   ` Zdenek Kabelac
From: Zdenek Kabelac @ 2008-05-06  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

2008/5/5 Pavel Machek <pavel@suse.cz>:
> Hi!
>

>  > Also - I think that option no_console_suspend doens't work correctly -
>  > as many times with suspend I do not see any log message on my console
>  > screen. However sometimes the log is shown.
>
>  Try switching consoles with alt-arrows... s2ram plays with console
>  switches so messages may be there but on other console.
>                                                                         Pavel

No change - logging is simply not visible anywhere - if there will be some time
I could probably bisect and find which commit randomised console logging.

@ 2008-05-07 14:33 ` Andrea Arcangeli
From: Andrea Arcangeli @ 2008-05-07 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 09:37:54AM +0200, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
> Hello
>
> With recent 2.6.25 & 2.6.26-rc1 git (around 1 week) I get occasionally
> complete freeze of my T61 during suspend. (dual core, 2GB).
>
> I'm running kernel with no_console_suspend - but all I can see is
> blinking cursor on an empty screen - thus even when I run kernel with
> most debug options turned on, I can't pass more details so far.  I run
> suspend with with SD card in - so maybe some update in the MMC driver
> might be responsible for this ?
>
> Also - I think that option no_console_suspend doens't work correctly -
> as many times with suspend I do not see any log message on my console
> screen. However sometimes the log is shown.

Same here. Suspend to ram crashes on resume starting in 2.6.25 (didn't
test 2.6.25-rc in my production system).

Because this isn't 100% reproducible bisecting may return false
negatives.

* Re: Suspend to memory is freezing my machine
@ 2008-05-07 14:43   ` Zdenek Kabelac
From: Zdenek Kabelac @ 2008-05-07 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

2008/5/7 Andrea Arcangeli <andrea@qumranet.com>:

> On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 09:37:54AM +0200, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
>  > Hello
>  >
>  > With recent 2.6.25 & 2.6.26-rc1 git (around 1 week) I get occasionally
>  > complete freeze of my T61 during suspend. (dual core, 2GB).
>  >
>  > I'm running kernel with no_console_suspend - but all I can see is
>  > blinking cursor on an empty screen - thus even when I run kernel with
>  > most debug options turned on, I can't pass more details so far.  I run
>  > suspend with with SD card in - so maybe some update in the MMC driver
>  > might be responsible for this ?
>  >
>  > Also - I think that option no_console_suspend doens't work correctly -
>  > as many times with suspend I do not see any log message on my console
>  > screen. However sometimes the log is shown.
>
>  Same here. Suspend to ram crashes on resume starting in 2.6.25 (didn't
>  test 2.6.25-rc in my production system).
>
>  Because this isn't 100% reproducible bisecting may return false
>  negatives.

Of course I've planned to bisect for the lost console logging - maybe tomorrow.

The crash in suspend is pretty random - I've never got the lock at my
will - usually it happens when I completely do not expect it ;)

@ 2008-05-22  9:40   ` Zdenek Kabelac
From: Zdenek Kabelac @ 2008-05-22  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Rafael

2008/5/4 Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@sisk.pl>:
> On Sunday, 4 of May 2008, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
>> Hello
>
> Hi,
>
>> With recent 2.6.25 & 2.6.26-rc1 git (around 1 week) I get occasionally
>> complete freeze of my T61 during suspend. (dual core, 2GB).
>
> How reproducible is this?

The problem happens still even with -rc3. Now I've an update:

Usually I've to run the machine for couple hours to actually be able
to hit this lock.
(Usually after a day work when I want to leave)

I've also noticed that when I run the suspend after the reboot I
usually cannot see the suspend freeze - mostly because either the
mashine crashes from other ooops or I do another reboot.

>> I'm running kernel with no_console_suspend - but all I can see is
>> blinking cursor on an empty screen - thus even when I run kernel with
>> most debug options turned on, I can't pass more details so far.  I run

I've figured out, it was caused by some weird Fedora setting, so
adding  kernel.printk = 8  to sysctl.conf  fixed the issue for me.

>> suspend with with SD card in - so maybe some update in the MMC driver
>> might be responsible for this ?
> (1) The problem occurs without no_console_suspend.
> (2) The problem occurs without the SD card.

SD card or no_console_suspend option doesn't matter

This is what I've seen as the last thing on the screen when deadlock
appeared this time:
(no SD card inserted)

====
Freezing remaining freezable tasks ... (elapsed 0.00 seconds) done.
PM: Entering mem sleep
drm card0: class suspend
drm_sysfs_suspend
ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:02.0 disabled
====
and this is what usually follows when the suspend works correctly
====
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Synchronizing SCSI cache
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Stopping disk
ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:15:00.2 disabled
ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:1f.1 disabled

lcpci:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile
GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
15:00.2 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro
Host Adapter (rev 21)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E)
IDE Controller (rev 03)

Here is also the grep from my messages log for 'hash matches device'
(gathered over some time)
(Having PM_TRACE_RTC=y  in the .config)
device:02
device:02
0000:00:1c.1:pcie03
0000:00:1c.0:pcie02
device:0a
cooling_device1
0000:15:00.1
device:07
tty47
mcelog
0000:00:02.1
device:0c
0000:0d
tty53
tty55
device:22
target0:0:0
device:03
PNP0C02:00
00:04
0000:00:1c.0:pcie00
sda
PNP0C0F:02
tty47
mcelog
0000:00:02.1
ram7
device:13
device:04
fbcon

>From this list it looks pretty random :( - so I'll keep an eye if the
deadlock appears alway in the same place.
But if you have any idea what kind of debuging would help to find the
problem let me know.

@ 2008-05-24 21:01     ` Rafael J. Wysocki
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2008-05-24 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, 22 of May 2008, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
> Hello Rafael
>
> 2008/5/4 Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@sisk.pl>:
> > On Sunday, 4 of May 2008, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
> >> Hello
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> >> With recent 2.6.25 & 2.6.26-rc1 git (around 1 week) I get occasionally
> >> complete freeze of my T61 during suspend. (dual core, 2GB).
> >
> > How reproducible is this?
> >

> The problem happens still even with -rc3. Now I've an update:
>
> Usually I've to run the machine for couple hours to actually be able
> to hit this lock.
> (Usually after a day work when I want to leave)
>
> I've also noticed that when I run the suspend after the reboot I
> usually cannot see the suspend freeze - mostly because either the
> mashine crashes from other ooops or I do another reboot.
>

> >> I'm running kernel with no_console_suspend - but all I can see is
> >> blinking cursor on an empty screen - thus even when I run kernel with
> >> most debug options turned on, I can't pass more details so far.  I run
>
> I've figured out, it was caused by some weird Fedora setting, so
> adding  kernel.printk = 8  to sysctl.conf  fixed the issue for me.
>
> >> suspend with with SD card in - so maybe some update in the MMC driver
> >> might be responsible for this ?
> > (1) The problem occurs without no_console_suspend.
> > (2) The problem occurs without the SD card.
>
> SD card or no_console_suspend option doesn't matter
>
> This is what I've seen as the last thing on the screen when deadlock
> appeared this time:
> (no SD card inserted)
>
> ====
> Freezing remaining freezable tasks ... (elapsed 0.00 seconds) done.
> PM: Entering mem sleep
> drm card0: class suspend
> drm_sysfs_suspend

Hm, what kind of graphics adapter is there in your box?

Rafael

* Re: Suspend to memory is freezing my machine
@ 2008-05-25  8:56       ` Zdenek Kabelac
From: Zdenek Kabelac @ 2008-05-25  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

2008/5/24 Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@sisk.pl>:
> On Thursday, 22 of May 2008, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
>> Hello Rafael

>> > Hi,

>> > How reproducible is this?
>> >

>> The problem happens still even with -rc3. Now I've an update:
>>
>> Usually I've to run the machine for couple hours to actually be able
>> to hit this lock.
>> (Usually after a day work when I want to leave)
>>
>> I've also noticed that when I run the suspend after the reboot I
>> usually cannot see the suspend freeze - mostly because either the
>> mashine crashes from other ooops or I do another reboot.

>> I've figured out, it was caused by some weird Fedora setting, so
>> adding  kernel.printk = 8  to sysctl.conf  fixed the issue for me.

>> > (1) The problem occurs without no_console_suspend.
>> > (2) The problem occurs without the SD card.
>>
>> SD card or no_console_suspend option doesn't matter
>>
>> This is what I've seen as the last thing on the screen when deadlock
>> appeared this time:
>> (no SD card inserted)
>>
>> ====
>> Freezing remaining freezable tasks ... (elapsed 0.00 seconds) done.
>> PM: Entering mem sleep
>> drm card0: class suspend
>> drm_sysfs_suspend
>
> Hm, what kind of graphics adapter is there in your box?

After some more checking - I guess this information actually is not
useful at all :(.
It looks like even when the suspend is succesful - the line:
ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:02.0 disabled
is alway the last one visible.

 I'll try to get figure out a better way how to invoke the lock.

And my graphics adapter is:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile
GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c) (prog-if 00 [VGA
controller])

@ 2008-05-25  8:59       ` Zdenek Kabelac
From: Zdenek Kabelac @ 2008-05-25  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2008-05-25 12:24         ` Rafael J. Wysocki
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2008-05-25 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday, 25 of May 2008, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
> 2008/5/24 Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@sisk.pl>:
> > On Thursday, 22 of May 2008, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:

> >> The problem happens still even with -rc3. Now I've an update:
> >>
> >> Usually I've to run the machine for couple hours to actually be able
> >> to hit this lock.
> >> (Usually after a day work when I want to leave)
> >>
> >> I've also noticed that when I run the suspend after the reboot I
> >> usually cannot see the suspend freeze - mostly because either the
> >> mashine crashes from other ooops or I do another reboot.

> >> I've figured out, it was caused by some weird Fedora setting, so
> >> adding  kernel.printk = 8  to sysctl.conf  fixed the issue for me.

> >> SD card or no_console_suspend option doesn't matter
> >>
> >> This is what I've seen as the last thing on the screen when deadlock
> >> appeared this time:
> >> (no SD card inserted)
> >>
> >> ====
> >> Freezing remaining freezable tasks ... (elapsed 0.00 seconds) done.
> >> PM: Entering mem sleep
> >> drm card0: class suspend
> >> drm_sysfs_suspend
> >
> > Hm, what kind of graphics adapter is there in your box?
> >

> After some more checking - I guess this information actually is not
> useful at all :(.
> It looks like even when the suspend is succesful - the line:
> ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:02.0 disabled
> is alway the last one visible.
>
>  I'll try to get figure out a better way how to invoke the lock.
>
> And my graphics adapter is:
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile
> GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c) (prog-if 00 [VGA
> controller])

If you use s2ram, please check if "echo mem > /sys/power/state" works instead.

Thanks,
Rafael

* Re: Suspend to memory is freezing my machine
@ 2008-05-27  6:44           ` Zdenek Kabelac
From: Zdenek Kabelac @ 2008-05-27  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

2008/5/25 Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@sisk.pl>:
> On Sunday, 25 of May 2008, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:

> If you use s2ram, please check if "echo mem > /sys/power/state" works instead.

The problem occurs also with plain echo 'mem' - I've already checked before.
Just resently I've discovered that actually I've had some serious
problem with CONFIG_DEBUG_PAGEALLOC option. Unsure if this thing could
be related to my deadlocking problem during suspend - I'll watch, if
the freeze will be still ocurring even without this option.

I'll make probably a separate post about my debug option problem.

@ 2008-06-03  8:10             ` Zdenek Kabelac
From: Zdenek Kabelac @ 2008-06-03  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

2008/5/27 Zdenek Kabelac <zdenek.kabelac@gmail.com>:
> 2008/5/25 Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@sisk.pl>:
>>> >>

>> If you use s2ram, please check if "echo mem > /sys/power/state" works instead.
>
> The problem occurs also with plain echo 'mem' - I've already checked before.
> Just resently I've discovered that actually I've had some serious
> problem with CONFIG_DEBUG_PAGEALLOC option. Unsure if this thing could
> be related to my deadlocking problem during suspend - I'll watch, if
> the freeze will be still ocurring even without this option.
>
> I'll make probably a separate post about my debug option problem.

Hello

It looks like from the time I've disabled CONFIG_DEBUG_PAGEALLOC
option I've not seen a single freeze during the suspend - I'll
continue to watch this - but I guess it's the key part of my problem.

@ 2008-05-07 20:29                 ` Jacek Luczak
From: Jacek Luczak @ 2008-05-07 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Hancock
	ide, linux-acpi

Robert Hancock pisze:

> [...]
>>   8:          3          0   IO-APIC-edge      rtc
>>   9:      15091          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   acpi
>>  12:      77467          0   IO-APIC-edge      i8042
>>  14:         44          0   IO-APIC-edge      ata_piix
>>  15:          0          0   IO-APIC-edge      ata_piix
>>  16:          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   i915@pci:0000:00:02.0
>>  17:          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   uhci_hcd:usb3
>>  18:          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   uhci_hcd:usb4
>>  19:     100001          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   uhci_hcd:usb5
>>  21:        282          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   HDA Intel
>>  23:          1          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   ehci_hcd:usb1,
>> uhci_hcd:usb2
>> 219:        858          0   PCI-MSI-edge      iwl3945
>> 220:       8616          0   PCI-MSI-edge      eth0
>> 221:       6423          0   PCI-MSI-edge      ahci
>> NMI:          0          0   Non-maskable interrupts
>> LOC:      15777      64510   Local timer interrupts
>> RES:       9045      24560   Rescheduling interrupts
>> CAL:         30      28255   function call interrupts
>> TLB:        341        145   TLB shootdowns
>> TRM:          0          0   Thermal event interrupts
>> SPU:          0          0   Spurious interrupts
>> ERR:          0
>> MIS:          0
>>
>>     3) The IRQ #19 remains disabled after resume and produce:
>> irq 19: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option)
>> Pid: 13, comm: kacpi_notify Not tainted
>> 2.6.26-rc1-07561-gafa26be-dirty #16
>>  [<c013ea27>] __report_bad_irq+0x24/0x69
>>  [<c013ea2e>] __report_bad_irq+0x2b/0x69
>>  [<c013ec25>] note_interrupt+0x1b9/0x210
>>  [<c013e36c>] handle_IRQ_event+0x1a/0x3f
>>  [<c013f195>] handle_fasteoi_irq+0x84/0xa2
>>  [<c0104fde>] do_IRQ+0x4f/0x65
>>  [<c01034ff>] common_interrupt+0x23/0x28
>>  [<c013007b>] timekeeping_resume+0x9b/0x127
>>  [<c020b090>] acpi_os_read_port+0x29/0x44
>>  [<c02177c9>] acpi_hw_register_read+0x61/0x119
>>  [<c020f76e>] acpi_ev_fixed_event_detect+0x2a/0xa0
>>  [<c021001a>] acpi_ev_sci_xrupt_handler+0x9/0x17
>>  [<c020b053>] acpi_irq+0xb/0x1f
>>  [<c013e36c>] handle_IRQ_event+0x1a/0x3f
>>  [<c013f181>] handle_fasteoi_irq+0x70/0xa2
>>  [<c0104fde>] do_IRQ+0x4f/0x65
>>  [<c020b623>] acpi_os_execute_deferred+0x0/0x25
>>  [<c01034ff>] common_interrupt+0x23/0x28
>>  [<c020b623>] acpi_os_execute_deferred+0x0/0x25
>>  [<c020b0b8>] acpi_os_write_port+0xd/0x2c
>>  [<c020b640>] acpi_os_execute_deferred+0x1d/0x25
>>  [<c01290fa>] run_workqueue+0x69/0xda
>>  [<c0129221>] worker_thread+0xb6/0xc2
>>  [<c012bca6>] autoremove_wake_function+0x0/0x2d
>>  [<c012916b>] worker_thread+0x0/0xc2
>>  [<c012ba42>] kthread+0x38/0x5d
>>  [<c012ba0a>] kthread+0x0/0x5d
>>  [<c010370f>] kernel_thread_helper+0x7/0x10
>>  =======================
>> handlers:
>> [<c027d100>] (usb_hcd_irq+0x0/0x53)
>> Disabling IRQ #19
>
> Hmm, so either it's the SATA controller still generating that IRQ even
> when it's in AHCI mode, or else it's USB that's the real problem..

I thing your are right here. I've made some basic tests. Removed USB support
form kernel and then suspend/resume with new one. There were no disabled irq
printouts as the one above. But then I've started new kernel compilation (back
with USB support and CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND=y) and suddenly Irq 221 was disabled -
the ,,nobody cared'' error was printed out. Kernel was trying to reset it but it
stacked (I will try to catch those messages).

I will make some tests on second system (I wouldn't like to break primary, as
while kernel is trying to bring back disk to live, the xfs errors are printed -
mainly failed writes).

-Jacek

* Re: Suspend to memory is freezing my machine
@ 2008-05-04 21:06               ` Robert Hancock
From: Robert Hancock @ 2008-05-04 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacek Luczak
	ide, linux-acpi

Jacek Luczak wrote:
> [...]
>  [<c020b623>] acpi_os_execute_deferred+0x0/0x25
>  [<c020b0b8>] acpi_os_write_port+0xd/0x2c
>  [<c020b640>] acpi_os_execute_deferred+0x1d/0x25
>  [<c01290fa>] run_workqueue+0x69/0xda
>  [<c0129221>] worker_thread+0xb6/0xc2
>  [<c012bca6>] autoremove_wake_function+0x0/0x2d
>  [<c012916b>] worker_thread+0x0/0xc2
>  [<c012ba42>] kthread+0x38/0x5d
>  [<c012ba0a>] kthread+0x0/0x5d
>  [<c010370f>] kernel_thread_helper+0x7/0x10
>  =======================
> handlers:
> [<c027d100>] (usb_hcd_irq+0x0/0x53)
> Disabling IRQ #19

Hmm, so either it's the SATA controller still generating that IRQ even
when it's in AHCI mode, or else it's USB that's the real problem..

> This might happen due to "ACPI: EC: GPE storm detected, disabling EC GPE", but
> here it should revert to polling mode (which is done during boot, but not during

That does seem unusual, but it doesn't seem directly related (ACPI is on
IRQ9).

> Full dmesg here -> http://212.109.128.251/~difrost/linux-next/dmesg_ahci.log
>
> -Jacek
>
> PS: Site note: Why there's such big difference on hdparm timings with PATA and
> AHCI mode?

You can narrow that down by doing this with AHCI in use:

echo 1 > /sys/block/sda/device/queue_depth

which will disable NCQ but keep AHCI. If that brings the performance
back up, then quite likely your drive's NCQ implementation isn't really
optimized for sequential reads..

* Re: Suspend to memory is freezing my machine
@ 2008-05-04 19:44             ` Jacek Luczak
From: Jacek Luczak @ 2008-05-04 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Hancock
	ide, linux-acpi