* arch/riscv: SV48 patch series questions
@ 2022-05-27  9:37 Leyfoon Tan
From: Leyfoon Tan @ 2022-05-27  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Palmer Dabbelt; +Cc: Alexandre Ghiti, linux-riscv, linux-kernel

Hi Palmer

Alex's "Introduce sv48 support without relocatable kernel" patch series in [1] was partially merged to Linux v5.17. But there are 4 patches are not merged (Patch-10 to 13).

May I know what is the plan for these patches? Will them merged to next v5.19 merging window? Or do you expect any changes for these patches or Alex needs resend with rebase to latest kernel version?

Note, we would like to use the Patch-13 in this series.

Patches not merged:
[v3,10/13] riscv: Improve virtual kernel memory layout dump
[v3,11/13] Documentation: riscv: Add sv48 description to VM layout
[v3,12/13] riscv: Initialize thread pointer before calling C functions
[v3,13/13] riscv: Allow user to downgrade to sv39 when hw supports sv48 if !KASAN

[1]: https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-riscv/cover/20211206104657.433304-1-alexandre.ghiti@canonical.com/

Thanks.

Regards
Ley Foon

* Re: arch/riscv: SV48 patch series questions
@ 2022-06-02  3:44 ` Palmer Dabbelt
From: Palmer Dabbelt @ 2022-06-02  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: leyfoon.tan; +Cc: alexandre.ghiti, linux-riscv, linux-kernel

On Fri, 27 May 2022 02:37:34 PDT (-0700), leyfoon.tan@starfivetech.com wrote:
> Hi Palmer
>
> Alex's "Introduce sv48 support without relocatable kernel" patch series in [1] was partially merged to Linux v5.17. But there are 4 patches are not merged (Patch-10 to 13).
>
> May I know what is the plan for these patches? Will them merged to next v5.19 merging window? Or do you expect any changes for these patches or Alex needs resend with rebase to latest kernel version?

I just saw this as I was digging up Alex's old email to reply to, all
but #13 are now on for-next.

> Note, we would like to use the Patch-13 in this series.

Is your use case a CPU errata?  If so I think we should just go ahead
and add that errata via the existing errata mechanism.  If you've got
some other use case, do you mind elaborating?  From that other thread it
sounds like a command-line argument is the way to go for folks who want
to turn this off more dynamically, but happy to hear if you've got
something different in mind.

@ 2022-06-02  5:43   ` Leyfoon Tan
From: Leyfoon Tan @ 2022-06-02  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Palmer Dabbelt; +Cc: alexandre.ghiti, linux-riscv, linux-kernel

It is not CPU errata.
RISC-V cpu can have sv39, sv48 or even sv57. If it is a heterogenous system, cpu cores in the system might have different sv. Eg: one cpu can be sv39 and another core is sv48.
In this case, auto detection is not work. So, Patch-13 can help in this use case.

@ 2022-07-01  2:34     ` Leyfoon Tan
From: Leyfoon Tan @ 2022-07-01  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Palmer Dabbelt; +Cc: alexandre.ghiti, linux-riscv, linux-kernel

Any further comment for this?