* kernel.org COPYING file not current?
@ 2005-07-11 21:32 Chris Friesen
From: Chris Friesen @ 2005-07-11 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, ftpadmin

I was putting together a small webpage and wanted to link to the COPYING
file for the linux kernel.

I found the one at http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/COPYING (also
at ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/COPYING), but when I compared
it with the latest version in 2.6.12.2, there were some differences.

It would be convenient to have a web-accessable up-to-date version of
this file.  Any chance of getting it updated?

Chris

* Re: kernel.org COPYING file not current?
@ 2005-07-11 21:47 ` Schneelocke
From: Schneelocke @ 2005-07-11 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Friesen; +Cc: linux-kernel, ftpadmin

On 11/07/05, Chris Friesen <cfriesen@nortel.com> wrote:
> I was putting together a small webpage and wanted to link to the COPYING
> file for the linux kernel.
>
> I found the one at http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/COPYING (also
> at ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/COPYING), but when I compared
> it with the latest version in 2.6.12.2, there were some differences.
>
> It would be convenient to have a web-accessable up-to-date version of
> this file.  Any chance of getting it updated?

You could link to the latest version in Linus' git repository:

http://kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;h=2a7e338ec2fc6aac461a11fe8049799e65639166;hb=1604d9c8f8dffafe3a077dc5ae7c935d2318bcf6;f=COPYING

That's a link to a specific revision, though, and I'm not sure if you
can just link to the latest version of the file. Somebody else with
more experience regarding git's web front-end may be able to tell you
more.

--
schnee