* Asus P5A Reboots
@ 2006-01-26 20:40 Simon Morgan
From: Simon Morgan @ 2006-01-26 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

I'm having trouble running the installation for Arch 0.7.1 on an Asus P5A
motherboard. The installation uses the 2.6.15 kernel and the problem is
that during, or immediately after, the initrd decompression stage the
machine reboots.

I've tried running an alternative installation kernel without SCSI support
as well as a number of kernel parameters (noacpi, noapm, acpi=off), none of
which helped.

The hardware is good, it is currently running another operating system
without issue and I gave the memory a thorough check with memtest86+ not
too long ago.

I have no idea where to even begin to find the source of this problem
but if anybody could offer some ideas or suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Simon

P.S. Please CC me on any replies as I'm not subscribed to the list.

* Re: Asus P5A Reboots
@ 2006-01-26 20:42 ` Arjan van de Ven
From: Arjan van de Ven @ 2006-01-26 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Morgan; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 20:40 +0000, Simon Morgan wrote:

> I'm having trouble running the installation for Arch 0.7.1 on an Asus
> P5A
> motherboard. The installation uses the 2.6.15 kernel and the problem
> is
> that during, or immediately after, the initrd decompression stage the
> machine reboots.

you most likely are getting an i686 kernel, while the cpu you have is an
AMD K6 which doesn't support the cmov instruction as used in i686
kernels...

* Re: Asus P5A Reboots
@ 2006-01-26 20:48   ` Simon Morgan
From: Simon Morgan @ 2006-01-26 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On 26/01/06, Arjan van de Ven <arjan@infradead.org> wrote:
> you most likely are getting an i686 kernel, while the cpu you have is an
> AMD K6 which doesn't support the cmov instruction as used in i686
> kernels...

You're completely right. I'm an idiot. Thanks for your help.

Simon