* IDE lockup after floppy access
@ 2003-11-21 22:41 Dick Streefland
From: Dick Streefland @ 2003-11-21 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

After accessing a floppy disk, the kernel blocks on the first harddisk
access. After a couple of seconds, the following messages appear:

  hda: dma_time_expiry: dma status = 0x61
  hda: DMA timeout error

I can only reset at this point. This is reproducible. I'm running
kernel 2.6.0-test9 on an SMP system, but the problem doesn't go away
when I boot with "nosmp". The kernel was built with CONFIG_PREEMPT.
Here are the IDE startup messages:

Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
idebus=xx
PIIX4: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:07.1
PIIX4: chipset revision 1
PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
hda: QUANTUM FIREBALL CR13.0A, ATA DISK drive
hdb: TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-6602B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

--
Dick Streefland                    ////               De Bilt
dick.streefland@xs4all.nl         (@ @)       The Netherlands

* Re: IDE lockup after floppy access
@ 2003-11-21 23:01 ` Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz @ 2003-11-21 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dick Streefland; +Cc: Dick Streefland, linux-kernel

Does disabling CONFIG_PREEMPT cure the problem?

--bart

@ 2003-11-21 23:38   ` Dick Streefland
From: Dick Streefland @ 2003-11-21 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz <B.Zolnierkiewicz@elka.pw.edu.pl> wrote:

| Does disabling CONFIG_PREEMPT cure the problem?

No, I just tried without CONFIG_PREEMPT, but it still hangs.

--

@ 2003-11-22 20:27     ` Dick Streefland
From: Dick Streefland @ 2003-11-22 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

spam@streefland.xs4all.nl (Dick Streefland) wrote:
| Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz <B.Zolnierkiewicz@elka.pw.edu.pl> wrote:
| | Does disabling CONFIG_PREEMPT cure the problem?
|
| No, I just tried without CONFIG_PREEMPT, but it still hangs.

I did some more tests (I'm becoming a big fan of the ext3 filesystem).
The lockup also occurs with older kernels like 2.6.0-test1 and 2.4.20.
A sure way to reproduce the problem is running the following one-liner
with a DOS floppy in the drive:

  find / & mdir

Disabling DMA with "hdparm -d0" doesn't help, although the kernel
messages are different. I now get:

  hda: lost interrupt

What could be the cause for this. Is my hardware dying? And if yes,
what part? Any tips on how to isolate this problem? I know for sure
that my floppy worked two months ago, but I don't known when it worked
for the last time.