* Sleeping in user_access section
@ 2018-11-23  9:27 Julien Thierry
From: Julien Thierry @ 2018-11-23  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Anvin, Ingo Molnar, LKML, linux-arm-kernel
  Cc: Catalin Marinas, Will Deacon, James Morse

Hi,

I made an attempt at implementing the
user_access_begin()/user_access_end() macros along with the
get/put_user_unsafe() for arm64 by toggling the status of PAN (more or
less similar to x86's STAC/CTAC).

With a small mistake in my patch, we realized that directly calling
function that could reschedule while in a user_access section could lead to:

- scheduling another task keeping the user_access status enabled despite
the task never calling user_access_begin()

- when re-scheduling the task that was mid user_access section,
user_access would be disabled and the task would fault on the next
get/put_user_unsafe.

This is because __switch_to does not alter the user_access status when
switching from next to prev (at least on arm64 we currently don't, and
by looking at the x86 code I don't think this is done either).

 From my understanding, this is not an issue when the task in
user_access mode gets scheduled out/in as a result of an interrupt as
PAN and EFLAGS.AC get saved/restore on exception entry/exit (at least I
know it is the case for PAN, I am less sure for the x86 side).

So, the question is, should __switch_to take care of the user_access
status when scheduling new tasks? Or should there be a restriction about
scheduling out a task with user_access mode enabled and maybe add a
warning if we can detect this?

(Or did we miss something and this is not an issue on x86?)

Julien Thierry