* [feature request] Linux should never break, it should rebuild/repair itself automatically
@ 2017-12-01 22:25 BILL ENGVALD
From: BILL ENGVALD @ 2017-12-01 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

One of the flaws in *NIX software is that a simple command can lead to
a nightmare, so I would like the kernel devs to write code that
repairs Linux automatically. I would like it if Linux became
completely stable regardless of memory failures, general hardware
failures, hacking, etc.

I hope this doesn't start a flame war, I understand that it might, but
please be nice. But since most of us have fast computers, so C++
support in the Linux kernel would be nice. You can do a lot with
inheritance, polymorphism and virtual templates that might be awesome
for Linux. C++ is a strong OO language (I think they started Object
Orientated Programming) and it has its benefits both in the kernel and
userland.

May the shwartz be with you.

* Re: [feature request] Linux should never break, it should rebuild/repair itself automatically
@ 2017-12-01 22:53 ` Tracy Smith
From: Tracy Smith @ 2017-12-01 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BILL ENGVALD; +Cc: linux-kernel

Being nice but this sounds like a contradiction if not an oxymoron.

Explain how a kernel or OS can be completely stable while having memory failures, general hardware failures, hacking, etc.  C++ is not the best language for writing operating systems. IBM and Apple attempted this with the Taligent OS and it became spaghetti code. Similarly, the Chorus OS was C++ and no longer commercial often criticized for performance issues.

You seem to be asking for a redundancy or robust error recovery mechanism in the kernel, which is what watch dog timers and graceful shutdown is intended to provide, as well as any failover features, that a user might introduce.

A fault tolerance mechanism discussion might be the focus of the discussion instead of complete stability in the face of gross hardware failures and endless hacking by the NSA, CIA, and FBI lol.

“I would like it if Linux became
completely stable regardless of memory failures, general hardware
failures, hacking, etc.”

Sent from my iPhone

@ 2017-12-04  1:13 ` Casey Schaufler
From: Casey Schaufler @ 2017-12-04  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BILL ENGVALD, linux-kernel

On 12/1/2017 2:25 PM, BILL ENGVALD wrote:
> One of the flaws in *NIX software is that a simple command can lead to
> a nightmare, so I would like the kernel devs to write code that
> repairs Linux automatically. I would like it if Linux became
> completely stable regardless of memory failures, general hardware
> failures, hacking, etc.

I would be delighted to review your patches.