* Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: [DNG] GPL version 2 is a bare license. Recind. (Regarding (future) linux Code of Conduct Bannings).
       [not found]         ` <0bd7fb92f5b2d5f18e67fdc9b3f6e603@redchan.it>
@ 2018-09-19 15:12           ` observerofaffairs
From: observerofaffairs @ 2018-09-19 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: dng, debian-user

It would depend on the communications made by the copyright holder, or
ratifications made by him (if any). Estopple arises when a grantee relys
on the grantors' communication that he will not rescind, and the grantor
takes an action based on that communication.

The clause in version 3 of the GPL (aswell as the CC licenses etc)
furnishes a clear possibility of such a defense.

Version 2 of the GPL lacks such a clause, so one must look to the
communications of the contributing copyright holder's statements, etc.

(Another problem is that the contributor may have never communicated to
the people he might want to rescind from, which adds another hurdle to
an estopple defense)

For instance, if the contributor was queried on the topic and gave a
response publicly, then the next question would be "did the defendant
know of and rely on that statement".

The linux-kernel's ... lassie-fair ... attitude when it comes to formal
matters and the sheer volume of contributors makes one wonder if
anything of the sort was done.

It is, indeed, a problem for Free-Software in the United States, as
copyright is simply "alienable in all ways property is"; and a licensor,
barring an attached interest or contract terms or communications that
would give rise to estopple, has an absolute right to rescind a license
regarding his property at his will; which is one feature that
distinguishes a license from an easement, servitude, real covenant, etc.

(Note: My projects dual license GPLv2 and GPLv3 for this reason: v3
furnishes an estoppel defense, v2 makes everyone happy because it's
"what they know", the linux-kernel never made any real attempts to adopt
the new license and omitted the "any-later-version codicil" from the
very beginning)

       [not found]           ` <4f926d0e5b96673926f3a4f163fdb590@redchan.it>
@ 2018-09-19 15:33             ` observerofaffairs
       [not found]               ` <20180919130952.2b2c23cc@mydesk.domain.cxm>
From: observerofaffairs @ 2018-09-19 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: dng, debian-user

The CoC will lead only to infighting amongst the contributors, with this
new weapon wielded firmly in all participants hands.

It is another example of "looking the gift horse in the mouth"
(Linus telling everyone to [fsck] off is the previous example]
and will only be tolerated by the hirelings. The community contributors
will fade away and the complete corporate takeover of the kernel will be
complete.

Linux will suffer the same fate as the FreeBSD team (who have lost half
their contributors), additionally morally-questionable code (ie: code
that befits content owners over the user, code that benefits the
security interests of the states over the user, etc) will be folded into
the kernel with a smile.

While you are correct regarding most free-software and open-culture
licenses, which often include a no-rescission clause, or are stylized as
a contract (giving rise to a possible interest defense), it does not
apply to version 2 of the GPL specifically (remeber: Linus rejected the
any-later-version codicil, thus any license improvements are out of
reach regarding the kernel, and v3 has very important improvements).
Version 2 of the GPL creates no contractual interests, nor does it
contain language that would give clear indication to the grantee that
his license will never be revoked by the property owner (who has an
absolute right to revoke grants at will, where there is no interest
attached to the grant etc).

The Free Software movement is, and will continue to be decimated by this
industry-wide advance for the next 5 years at-least, as project after
project falls to classic divide and conquer techniques that date to
before the Roman empire. Programmers, though brilliant in their specific
field, tend to be ignorant of even basic human management practice - and
resistant to learn.

On 2018-09-19 08:43, Bruce Perens wrote:
> I concur with Richard. Everything I know about the license tells me it
> can not be rescinded or withdrawn. It can only be terminated for
> infringement.
>
> I understand that codes of conduct added to the group long after your
> first participation are frustrating for some, and may even seem
> draconian. I see the need for them, and suggest you consider the views
> of others.
>
> If you have no alternative, the license allows you to fork the project
> and make your own conduct rules.
>
> Thanks
>
> Bruce
>
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2018, 5:38 AM Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider
>> ]]]
>> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,
>> ]]]
>> [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example.
>> ]]]
>>
>>> One is rescission of the license they granted regarding their
>> code, and
>>> then a lawsuit under copyright if/when the rescission is
>> ignored.
>>> The others are breach of contract, libel, false light, etc.
>>
>> If "rescission" is really a possibility, it would cause greast
>> trouble
>> for the free software community.  We would need to take steps to
>> make
>> sure it cannot happen.
>>
>> However, that goes against everything I have been told by others.
>>
>> --
>> Dr Richard Stallman
>> President, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org,
>> https://fsf.org)
>> Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)

* Re: Re: Fwd: Re: [DNG] GPL version 2 is a bare license. Recind. (Regarding (future) linux Code of Conduct Bannings).
  2018-09-19 15:12           ` Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: [DNG] GPL version 2 is a bare license. Recind. (Regarding (future) linux Code of Conduct Bannings) observerofaffairs
@ 2018-09-19 17:22             ` \0xDynamite
From: \0xDynamite @ 2018-09-19 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: observerofaffairs; +Cc: linux-kernel, dng, debian-user

> On 2018-09-19 03:38, Richard Stallman wrote:
>> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
>> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
>> [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]
>>
>>   > One is rescission of the license they granted regarding their code,
>> and
>>   > then a lawsuit under copyright if/when the rescission is ignored.
>>   > The others are breach of contract, libel, false light, etc.
>>
>> If "rescission" is really a possibility, it would cause greast trouble
>> for the free software community.  We would need to take steps to make
>> sure it cannot happen.
>>
>> However, that goes against everything I have been told by others.

This is where copyright differs from IP.  With copyright, you have the
right to derived works if they don't violate Fair Use -- but that
could essentially be violating the GPL.

The only way to protect the code and spirit of the GPL at that point,
is to accept the legal concept of Intellectual Property.

The question then, is, is source code released under the GPL
considered "published work"?

Mark Janssen, JD

* Code of Conduct: Those Ejected should rescind their license grant.
       [not found]               ` <20180919130952.2b2c23cc@mydesk.domain.cxm>
@ 2018-09-20  2:56                 ` observerofaffairs
       [not found]                 ` <EF2143AF-4090-414E-B00B-EBF07361C741@getbackinthe.kitchen>
From: observerofaffairs @ 2018-09-20  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Litt; +Cc: dng, linux-kernel, debian-user

The grant is not supported by consideration.
It dispenses only largess, and asks for no recompense.
It is a bare license.
Thus it can be revoked by the grantor at any time.
His act of grace bestowed, and his act of propriety can rescind.

The free software world is held up muchly by a gentleman's agreement.
The agreement is that we shall take mutually beneficial actions, vis a
vis the field of software engineering, to increase the net freedom
available to all.

It is not so much held up by law, regardless of what the lay programmers
and users of programmers would imagine to believe.

To turn one's contributions around as a weapon against the contributor:
to tell him he must not say this or that, he must not act this or that
way,
lest he be barred from his hobby; let he be barred from freely giving
dispensation, is an abhorrent abuse of his magnanimity

Now this gentleman's agreement is being, or has been shattered.
You will find that the law has no supports to bind him;
but many to fell the ungrateful who saw themselves the inviolate
annuitants of his altruism.

Bare licenses are revocable at will. They always have been.
Those who are thrown out of the "Linux Kernel Community" in punishment
for not obeying this CoC, who's past contributions count for nothing in
the face of those who will throughout the ages to control men in all
things; for not "behaving properly" here or there, within their public
or private life; for not bending the knee to the Anglo-American
religion, should absolutely recind the grant they have dispensed.
They are well within their rights to do so, and hostile action must be
met with the same and worse in response.

@ 2018-09-20 10:15               ` Martin Schroeder
From: Martin Schroeder @ 2018-09-20 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dreamingforward; +Cc: observerofaffairs, linux-kernel, dng, debian-user

If the license clearly states that permission is granted to any third
party to use the code provided that the same rights are granted to
everyone else who uses the subsequently distributed versions, wouldn't
the original holder who is willing to rescind the license fully also
be liable to compensate everyone involved for damages caused by such a
rescission?

It would only sound reasonable to me. You can not first grant
something and then revoke that grant and expect that it can be done
without consequences. If that becomes possible then there is no point
in giving the grant in the first place. It would sound reasonable that
there should be plenty of room for a counter lawsuit that would focus
on how much damage a complete revocation would cause to everyone who
have originally accepted the grant and then went with it. It is
crucial I think that rescission of a grant (not just any license) be
made close to impossible to accomplish after the grant has been made
in the first place and the work has been made public.

@ 2018-09-20 10:41                 ` Martin Schroeder
From: Martin Schroeder @ 2018-09-20 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dreamingforward; +Cc: observerofaffairs, linux-kernel, dng, debian-user

Rescission of GPL for reasons other than violating the terms of the
license would be a ridiculous form copyright trolling which, if still
possible, should definitely be outlawed.
On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 12:15 PM Martin Schroeder
<mkschreder.uk@googlemail.com> wrote:

> If the license clearly states that permission is granted to any third
> party to use the code provided that the same rights are granted to
> everyone else who uses the subsequently distributed versions, wouldn't
> the original holder who is willing to rescind the license fully also
> be liable to compensate everyone involved for damages caused by such a
> rescission?
>
> It would only sound reasonable to me. You can not first grant
> something and then revoke that grant and expect that it can be done
> without consequences. If that becomes possible then there is no point
> in giving the grant in the first place. It would sound reasonable that
> there should be plenty of room for a counter lawsuit that would focus
> on how much damage a complete revocation would cause to everyone who
> have originally accepted the grant and then went with it. It is
> crucial I think that rescission of a grant (not just any license) be
> made close to impossible to accomplish after the grant has been made
> in the first place and the work has been made public.

> > This is where copyright differs from IP.  With copyright, you have the
> > right to derived works if they don't violate Fair Use -- but that
> > could essentially be violating the GPL.
> >
> > The only way to protect the code and spirit of the GPL at that point,
> > is to accept the legal concept of Intellectual Property.
> >
> > The question then, is, is source code released under the GPL
> > considered "published work"?
> >
> > Mark Janssen, JD

* Re: [DNG] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: GPL version 2 is a bare license. Recind. (Regarding (future) linux Code of Conduct Bannings).
       [not found]                           ` <CAK2MWOs1fmd8bLpWLJah+5Ckyke7SMnM46w-iKx9dENpBe7M4g@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2018-09-28 17:09                             ` vwdfrwd
From: vwdfrwd @ 2018-09-28 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Perens, linux-kernel; +Cc: Taiidan, dng, rms

Would trade it all, to be-able to marry cute young girls (as allowed by
YHWH (Devarim chapter 22, verse 28 (na'ar)) (also, obviously, in Sunni
Islam (see 5th book of Bukhari)).

Banning men from having girl children as brides is the first thing you
"SJW"s (aka "whites") did over 100 years ago.

And yes, Bruce Perens, we blaim you and yours for upholding said ban.

Thankfully Sunni muslims will be overtaking your countries soon.
They will lift the ban that you "whites" installed (in your reverent
worship of women), God willing.