* cgit for kernel.org
@ 2007-12-03 11:04 Peter Stahlir
From: Peter Stahlir @ 2007-12-03 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi!

I suggest setting up cgit for kernel.org
cgit is a fast web interface for git.
It is located at

http://hjemli.net/git/cgit/

I tried it at

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/

and it feels much snappier than gitweb.

Thanks,

Peter

* Re: cgit for kernel.org
@ 2007-12-03 12:33 ` Jan Engelhardt
From: Jan Engelhardt @ 2007-12-03 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Stahlir; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Dec 3 2007 12:04, Peter Stahlir wrote:

>I suggest setting up cgit for kernel.org
>cgit is a fast web interface for git.
>It is located at
>
>http://hjemli.net/git/cgit/
>
>I tried it at
>
>http://cgit.freedesktop.org/
>
>and it feels much snappier than gitweb.

cgit looks so bare.

* Re: cgit for kernel.org
@ 2007-12-03 14:47   ` Stefan Richter
From: Stefan Richter @ 2007-12-03 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Engelhardt; +Cc: Peter Stahlir, linux-kernel

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> On Dec 3 2007 12:04, Peter Stahlir wrote:
>>I suggest setting up cgit for kernel.org
>>cgit is a fast web interface for git.
>>It is located at
>>
>>http://hjemli.net/git/cgit/
>>
>>I tried it at
>>
>>http://cgit.freedesktop.org/
>>
>>and it feels much snappier than gitweb.
>>

> cgit looks so bare.

This is a compliment to cgit, right?  Anyway, the UI looks OK to me.
The only essential functionality which seems to be missing according to
my first quick glance at cgit.freedesktop.org is to get log and diff of
a commit in plain text.
--
Stefan Richter
-=====-=-=== ==-- ---==

* Re: cgit for kernel.org
@ 2007-12-03 15:19     ` Jan Engelhardt
From: Jan Engelhardt @ 2007-12-03 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Richter; +Cc: Peter Stahlir, linux-kernel

On Dec 3 2007 15:47, Stefan Richter wrote:
>Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>> On Dec 3 2007 12:04, Peter Stahlir wrote:
>>>I suggest setting up cgit for kernel.org
>>>cgit is a fast web interface for git.
>>>It is located at http://hjemli.net/git/cgit/
>>>I tried it at http://cgit.freedesktop.org/
>>>and it feels much snappier than gitweb.
>>
>> cgit looks so bare.
>
>This is a compliment to cgit, right?  Anyway, the UI looks OK to me.

Repository overview.
	CGIT: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/
	GITWEB: http://git.kernel.org/

	Remarks:
	cgit is lacking the links "shortlog", "log", "tree" and "git"
	which gitweb prints for each repository line.

Inside a repository.
	CGIT: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/hal/
	GITWEB:	http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=summary

	Remarks:
	In cgit, the left gray panel went by quite unnoticed, possibly as an
	unintended reaction to the omnipresent ad positions in Internet
	websites, or because it is "just" the menu. Compare with the GNU
	Savannah site, which also has the menu on the left side, which I
	also used quite rarely (only to login), everything else happens in
	the white pane.

Clicking on a commit.
	CGIT: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/hal/commit/?id=b8f72cec53415ebc2d32805b049dcc94cef4a854
	GITWEB: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/misc-2.6.git;a=commit;h=8c27eba54970c6ebbb408186e5baa2274435e869

	Remarks:
	cgit comes with a diffstat. Not that I look at diffstats all that
	often anyway. Still need to click on "(diff)" go get a diff.

	Filenames are displayed with monospace font in gitweb :)
	Clicking on the commit actually shows its diff in gitweb.

Final remark:
	gitweb has the warmer colors.

* Re: cgit for kernel.org
@ 2007-12-03 19:33       ` Stefan Richter
From: Stefan Richter @ 2007-12-03 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Engelhardt; +Cc: Peter Stahlir, linux-kernel

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> 	In cgit, the left gray panel went by quite unnoticed, possibly as an
> 	unintended reaction to the omnipresent ad positions in Internet
> 	websites, or because it is "just" the menu.

This layout with sidebar is actually a waste of space.

> 	gitweb has the warmer colors.

That's just the CSS file.
--
Stefan Richter
-=====-=-=== ==-- ---==

* Re: cgit for kernel.org
@ 2007-12-04 12:27   ` Peter Stahlir
From: Peter Stahlir @ 2007-12-04 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Engelhardt; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi!

2007/12/3, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@computergmbh.de>:

> cgit looks so bare.

... but it is incredible fast!

Try to load both websites:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/

For me, it's 6 seconds for gitweb and less than one with cgit.
It's just more fun! :)

peter

* cgit for kernel.org
       [not found] <9wlfz-4hf-9@gated-at.bofh.it>
@ 2007-12-04  0:30 ` Lars Hjemli
From: Lars Hjemli @ 2007-12-04  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Engelhardt; +Cc: linux-kernel, Lars Hjemli

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> Repository overview.
> 	CGIT: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/
> 	GITWEB: http://git.kernel.org/

Why not compare more equal pages? freedesktop.org also runs gitweb:
  http://gitweb.freedesktop.org

> 	Remarks:
> 	cgit is lacking the links "shortlog", "log", "tree" and "git"
> 	which gitweb prints for each repository line.

Adding "enable-index-links=1" to /etc/cgitrc will print links to "summary",
"log" and "tree" for each repository line, but you still have to open the
summary page to get the git (clone) link. It wouldn't be very hard to add
another link (see http://hjemli.net/git/cgit/tree/ui-repolist.c#n96), but I'm
not sure what actual value such a link would provide.

> Inside a repository.
> 	CGIT: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/hal/

The similar page in gitweb:
  http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=hal.git;a=summary

> 	GITWEB:
>http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=summary

The similar page in cgit:
  http://hjemli.net/git/linux/

> 	Remarks:
> 	In cgit, the left gray panel went by quite unnoticed

IMHO the sidebar makes cgit way easier to navigate (especially the dropdown box
to switch between branches is pretty handy).

> Clicking on a commit.
> 	CGIT:
>http://cgit.freedesktop.org/hal/commit/?id=b8f72cec53415ebc2d32805b049dcc94cef4a854

Similar page in gitweb:
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=hal.git;a=commit;h=b8f72cec53415ebc2d32805b049dcc94cef4a854

> 	GITWEB:
>http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/misc-2.6.git;a=commit;h=8c27eba54970c6ebbb408186e5baa2274435e869

Similar page in cgit:
http://hjemli.net/git/linux/commit/?id=8c27eba54970c6ebbb408186e5baa2274435e869

> 	Remarks:
> 	cgit comes with a diffstat. Not that I look at diffstats all that
> 	often anyway. Still need to click on "(diff)" go get a diff.

There's always the link in the sidebar ;-)

But seriously, showing the diff on the same page as the commit message would
sometimes be nice and sometimes it would be a bit too much:
http://hjemli.net/git/linux/commit/?id=b5faa4b89e4d83203b1f44f143a351b518f7cda2
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/misc-2.6.git;a=commit;h=b5faa4b89e4d83203b1f44f143a351b518f7cda2

> 	Filenames are displayed with monospace font in gitweb :)
> 	Clicking on the commit actually shows its diff in gitweb.

I belive cgit and gitweb displays roughly the same information on their commit
pages; I don't see a diff in gitweb either unless I click one of the diff-
links.

> Final remark:
> 	gitweb has the warmer colors.

Yes, gitweb definitly looks more polished. It's a bit slow, though...

Another remark - IMHO there are some practical benefits to be had from the
virtual url support in cgit, e.g. linking to blobs:

http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xorg/xserver.git;a=blob;h=ace11817054bfb5bcc8d55a31bd51b9dea49bbed;hb=fe25f897c62bb324660217e15dbd3091c808dbba;f=GL/mesa/X/Makefile.am

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/tree/GL/mesa/X/Makefile.am

--
larsh