* Re: squashfs performance regression and readahea
       [not found]             ` <YnnPYD+VtQB6hlnL@casper.infradead.org>
@ 2022-05-10  3:20               ` Phillip Lougher
From: Phillip Lougher @ 2022-05-10  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Wilcox
  Cc: Xiongwei Song, Zheng Liang, Zhang Yi, Hou Tao, Miao Xie,
	Andrew Morton, Linus Torvalds, Hsin-Yi Wang, Song, Xiongwei,
	linux-mm, squashfs-devel, open list

On 10/05/2022 03:35, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Tue, May 10, 2022 at 02:11:41AM +0100, Phillip Lougher wrote:

>>> I've never seen patch 9eec1d897139 before.  If you're going to point
>>> out bugs in my code, at least have the decency to cc me on it.  It
>>> should never have gone in, and should be reverted so the problem can
>>> be fixed properly.
>>
>> You are not in charge of what patches goes into Squashfs, that is my
>> perogative as maintainer of Squashfs.
>
> I think you mean 'prerogative'.  And, no, your filesystem is not your
> little fiefdom, it's part of a collaborative effort.

This isn't a spelling contest, and if that's the best you can do you
have already failed.

Be carefull here also, I have been maintainer of Squashfs for 20 years,
and was kernel maintainer for both Ubuntu and Redhat for 10 years, and
so I am experienced member of the community.

You reply is bordering on offensive and arrogant, especially considering
it is unwarranted.  I did not set out to offend you, and I don't
appreciate it.

About 8 years ago I decided to refrain from active involvement in the
kernel community, because I decided the level of discourse was
disgusting, and I had enough of it.

I poped up now to defend my approval of the Huawei patch.  I am *quite*
happy not to have any more involvement until necessary.

So having said what I want to say, I will leave it at that. You have
just proved why I have minimised my involvement.

No doubt you'll throw your toys out the pram, but, I'm no
longer listening so don't bother.

>> That patch (by Huawei) fixes the performance regression in Squashfs
>> by disabling readahead, and it is good workaround until something
>> better.
>
> You *didn't even report the problem to me*.  How can it be fixed if I'm
> not aware of it?

There was a email discussion last year, which I responded to, and got
ignored.  I will find it out tomorrow, perhaps.  But I will probably
not bother, because life is too short.

Cheers

Phillip

* Re: squashfs performance regression and readahea
@ 2022-05-10  3:41                 ` Phillip Lougher
From: Phillip Lougher @ 2022-05-10  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Wilcox
  Cc: Xiongwei Song, Zheng Liang, Zhang Yi, Hou Tao, Miao Xie,

On 10/05/2022 04:20, Phillip Lougher wrote:
> On 10/05/2022 03:35, Matthew Wilcox wrote:

>>> You are not in charge of what patches goes into Squashfs, that is my
>>> perogative as maintainer of Squashfs.
>>
>> I think you mean 'prerogative'.  And, no, your filesystem is not your
>> little fiefdom, it's part of a collaborative effort.
>>

> This isn't a spelling contest, and if that's the best you can do you
> have already failed.
>
> Be carefull here also, I have been maintainer of Squashfs for 20 years,
> and was kernel maintainer for both Ubuntu and Redhat for 10 years, and
> so I am experienced member of the community.
>
> You reply is bordering on offensive and arrogant, especially considering
> it is unwarranted.  I did not set out to offend you, and I don't
> appreciate it.
>
> About 8 years ago I decided to refrain from active involvement in the
> kernel community, because I decided the level of discourse was
> disgusting, and I had enough of it.
>
> I poped up now to defend my approval of the Huawei patch.  I am *quite*
> happy not to have any more involvement until necessary.
>
> So having said what I want to say, I will leave it at that. You have
> just proved why I have minimised my involvement.
>
> No doubt you'll throw your toys out the pram, but, I'm no
> longer listening so don't bother.
>

>>> That patch (by Huawei) fixes the performance regression in Squashfs
>>> by disabling readahead, and it is good workaround until something
>>> better.
>>
>> You *didn't even report the problem to me*.  How can it be fixed if I'm
>> not aware of it?

Despite having been insulted, I have done your homework for you.

This is where the problem was raised last year, with you directly
emailed.

https://lore.kernel.org/all/CAJMQK-g9G6KQmH-V=BRGX0swZji9Wxe_2c7ht-MMAapdFy2pXw@mail.gmail.com/T/

> There was a email discussion last year, which I responded to, and got
> ignored.  I will find it out tomorrow, perhaps.  But I will probably
> not bother, because life is too short.

Afterwards you started a thread on "Readahead for compressed data",
which I responded to.

https://lore.kernel.org/all/YXHK5HrQpJu9oy8w@casper.infradead.org/T/