* Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-22 22:41 Alan Chandler
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Alan Chandler @ 2001-06-22 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: Rob Landley

I am not subscribed to the list, but I scan the archives and saw the
following.  Please cc e-mail me in followups.

>Rob Landley (landley@webofficenow.com) wrote
>In late '79 early '80, they heard the rumors that IBM was pondering a PC,
> and Paul Allen went "any real computer will run Unix", so they got a
>license from AT&T and ported the sucker, calling it "Xenix". (MS was a
>porting house,

I hope the following adds a more direct perspective on this, as I was a user
at the time.

I was working (and still am) for a UK computer systems integrator called
Logica.  One of our departments sold and supported Xenix (as distributor for
Microsoft? - all the manuals had Logica on the covers although there was at
least some mention of Microsoft inside) in the UK.  At the time it ONLY ran
on PDP 11's and I used it to build a configuration management system (on top
of SCCS) for the telemetry product that I was responsible for.  I acquired
Xenix for my department in 1984

It was more like (can't remember exactly when) 1985/1986 that Xenix got
ported to the IBM PC. I remember because we were evaluating software to use
for our telemetry workstations (which previously had been using expensive
special graphics hardware and we were trying to see if we could use a PC
instead) and I was comparing Xenix, GEM (remember that - for a time it looked
like it might be ahead of windows) and Microsoft Windows v 1 .  We chose
Windows in the end for its graphics capability although by the time we
started development it was up to v2 and we were using 286's (this was
1987/88).

>Xenix was unloaded on the Santa-Cruz operation almost
>immediately,

Logica sold out its Xenix operation to Santa-Cruz around 1987 (definately
before October 1987) because we couldn't afford the costs of developing the
product (which makes me think that we had bought it out from Microsoft - at
least in the UK).  By then we had switched our PDP 11s to System V (I also
remember BUYING an editor called "emacs" for use on it:-) ).

--

  Alan - alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

* Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-23 14:07 ` Rob Landley
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Rob Landley @ 2001-06-23 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Chandler, linux-kernel

On Friday 22 June 2001 18:41, Alan Chandler wrote:
> I am not subscribed to the list, but I scan the archives and saw the
> following.  Please cc e-mail me in followups.

I've had several requests to start a mailing list on this, actually...  Might
do so in a bit...

> I was working (and still am) for a UK computer systems integrator called
> Logica.  One of our departments sold and supported Xenix (as distributor
> for Microsoft? - all the manuals had Logica on the covers although there
> was at least some mention of Microsoft inside) in the UK.  At the time it

I don't suppose you have any of those manuals still lying around?

> It was more like (can't remember exactly when) 1985/1986 that Xenix got
> ported to the IBM PC.

Sure.  Before that the PC didn't have enough Ram.  Dos 2.0 was preparing the
dos user base for the day when the PC -would- have enough ram.

Stuff Paul Allen set in motion while he was in charge of the technical side
of MS still had some momentum when he left.  Initially, Microsoft's
partnership with SCO was more along the lines of outsourcing development and
partnering with people who knew Unix.  But without Allen rooting for it,
Xenix gradually stopped being strategic.  Gates allowed his company to be led
around by the nose by IBM, and sucked into the whole SAA/SNA thing (which DOS
was the bottom tier of along with a bunch of IBM big iron, and which OS/2
emerged from as an upgrade path bringing IBM mainframe technology to
higher-end PCs.)

IBM had a unix, AIX, which had more or less emerged from the early RISC
research (the 701 project?  Lemme grab my notebook...)

Ok, SAA/SNA was "Systems Application Architecture" and "Systems Network
Architecture", which was launched coinciding with the big PS/2 announcement
on April 2, 1987.  (models 50, 60, and 80.)  The SAA/SNA push also extended
through the System/370 and AS400 stuff too.  (I think 370's the mainframe and
AS400 is the minicomputer, but I'd have to look it up.  One of them (AS400?)
had a database built into the OS.  Interestingly, this is where SQL
originated (my notes say SQL came from the System/370 but I have to
double-check that, I thought the AS400 was the one with the built in
database?).  In either case, it was first ported to the PC as part of SAA.
We also got the acronym "API" from IBM about this time.)  Dos 4.0 was new, it
added 723 meg disks, EMS bundled into the OS rather than an add-on (the
Lotus-Intel-Microsoft Expanded Memory Specification), and "DOSShell" which
conformed to the SAA graphical user interface guidelines.  (Think an
extremely primitive version of midnight commander.)

The PS/2 model 70/80 (desktop/tower versions of same thing) were IBM's first
386 based PC boxes, which came with either DOS 3.3, DOS 4.0, OS/2 (1.0), or
AIX.

AIX was NOT fully SAA/SNA compliant, since Unix had its own standards that
conflicted with IBM's.  Either they'd have a non-standard unix, or a non-IBM
os.  (They kind of wound up with both, actually.)  The IBM customers who
insisted on Unix wanted it to comply with Unix standards, and the result is
that AIX was an outsider in the big IBM cross-platform push of the 80's, and
was basically sidelined within IBM as a result.  It was its own little world.

skip skip skip skip (notes about boca's early days...  The PC was launched in
August 1981, list of specs, xt, at, specs for PS/2 models 25/30, 50, 70/80,
and the "pc convertable" which is a REALLY ugly laptop.)

Here's what I'm looking for:

AIX was first introduced for the IBM RT/PC in 1986, which came out of the
early RISC research.  It was ported to PS/2 and S/370 by SAA, and was based
on unix SVR2.  (The book didn't specify whether the original version or the
version ported to SAA was based on SVR2, I'm guessing both were.)

AIX was "not fully compliant" with SAA due to established and conflicting
unix standards it had to be complant with, and was treated as a second class
citizen by IBM because of this.  It was still fairly hosed according to the
rest of the unix world, but IBM mostly bent standards rather than breaking
them.

Hmmm...  Notes on the history of shareware (pc-write/bob wallace/quiicksoft,
pc-file/pc-calc/jim button/buttonware, pc-talk/andrew flugelman, apparently
the chronological order is andrew-jim-bob, and bob came up with the name
"shareware" because "freeware" was a trademark of Headlands Press, Inc...)
Notes on the IBM Risc System 6000 launch out of a book by Jim Hoskins (which
is where micro-channel came from, and also had one of the first cd-rom
drives, scsi based, 380 ms access time, 150k/second, with a caddy.)  Notes on
the specifications of the 8080 and 8085 processors, plus the Z80

Sorry, that risc thing was the 801 project led by John Cocke, named after the
building it was in and started in 1975.

Ah, here's the rest of it:

The IBM Person Computer RT (Risc Technology) was launched in January 1986
running AIX.  The engineers (in Austin) whent on for the second generation
Risc System 6000 (the RS/6000) with AIX version 3, launched February 15 1990.
The acronym "POWER" stands for Performance Optimized WIth Enhanced Risc.

Then my notes diverge into the history of ethernet and token ring (IEEE 802.3
and 802.5, respectively.  The nutshell is that ethernet was a commodity and
token ring was IBM only, and commodity out evolves proprietary every time.
The second generation ethernet increased in speed 10x while the second
generation token ring only increase 4x, and ethernet could mix speeds while
token ring had to be homgeneous.  Plus ethernet moved to the "baseT" stuff
which was just just so much more reliable and convenient, and still cheaper
even if you had to purchase hubs because it was commodity.)

> instead) and I was comparing Xenix, GEM (remember that - for a time it
> looked like it might be ahead of windows) and Microsoft Windows v 1 .  We

Ummm...  GEM was the Geos stuff?  (Yeah I remember it, I haven't researched
it yet though...)

> chose Windows in the end for its graphics capability although by the time
> we started development it was up to v2 and we were using 286's (this was
> 1987/88).

I used windows 2.0 briefly.  It was black and white and you could watch the
individual pixels appear on the screen as it drew the fonts.  (It looked
about like somebody writing with a pen.  Really fast for writing with a pen,
but insanely slow by most other standards.  Scrolling the screen was an
excuse to take a sip of beverage du jour.)

The suckiness of windows through the 80's has several reasons.  The first
apple windowing system Gates saw was the LISA, -before- the macintosh, and
they actually had a pre-release mac prototype (since they were doing
application software for it) to clone.  Yet it took them 11 years to get it
right.

In part this was because PC graphics hardware really sucked.  CGA, hercules,
EGA...  Painful.  Black and white frame buffers pumped through an 8 mhz ISA
bus.  (Even the move to 16 bit bus with the AT didn't really help matters too
much.)

In part, when Paul Allen left, Microsoft's in-house technical staff just
disintegrated.  (Would YOU work for a company where marketing had absolute
power?)  The scraps of talent they had left mostly followed the agenda set by
IBM (DOS 4/5, OS/2 1.0/1.1).  A lot of other stuff (like the AIX work) got
outsourced.

Windows was Gates' pet project (I suspect an ego thing with steve jobs may
have been involved a bit, but they BOTH knew that the stuff from Xerox parc
was the future).  He didn't want to outsource it, but the in-house resources
available to work on it were just pathetic.

There are a couple good histories of windows (with dates, detailed feature
lists, and screen shots of the various versions) available online.  And if
you're discussing windows, you not only have to compare it with the Macintosh
but at least take a swipe at the Amiga and Atari ST as well.  And OS/2's
presentation manager development, and of course the early X days (The first
version of X came out of MIT in 1984, the year the macintosh launched.
Unfortunatley in 1988 X got caught in a standards committe and development
STOPPED for the next ten years.  Development finally got back in gear with
the XFree86 guys told X Open where it could stick its new license a year or
two back and finally decided to forge ahead on their own, and they've been
making up for lost time ever since but they've had a LOT of ground to cover.
Using 3d accelerator cards to play MPEG video streams is only now becoming
feasable to do under X.  And it SHOULD be possible to do that through a
100baseT network, let alone gigabit, but the layering's all wrong...)

> Logica sold out its Xenix operation to Santa-Cruz around 1987 (definately
> before October 1987) because we couldn't afford the costs of developing the
> product (which makes me think that we had bought it out from Microsoft - at
> least in the UK).  By then we had switched our PDP 11s to System V (I also
> remember BUYING an editor called "emacs" for use on it:-) ).

That would be the X version of emacs.  And there's the explanation for the
split between GNU and X emacs: it got forked and the closed-source version
had a vew  years of divergent development before opening back up, by which
point it was very different to reconcile the two code bases.

Such is the fate of BSD licensed code, it seems.  At least when there's money
in it, anyway...

And THAT happy experience is why Richard Stallman stopped writing code for a
while and instead started writing licenses.  The GPL 1.0 decended directly
from that (and 2.0 from real world use/experience/users' comments in the
field)

(Yes, I HAVE been doing a lot of research.  I think I'll head down to the UT
library again this afternoon, actually...)

Rob

* Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-23 17:11   ` Rob Landley
From: Rob Landley @ 2001-06-23 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Jagdis, Alan Chandler, linux-kernel

On Saturday 23 June 2001 13:57, Mike Jagdis wrote:
> > I hope the following adds a more direct perspective on this, as I
> > was a user at the time.
>
> I was _almost_ at university :-). However I do have a first edition
> of the IBM Xenix Software Development Guide from december 1984. It has
> '84 IBM copyright and '83 MS copyright. The SCO stuff I have goes back
> to '83 - MS copyrights on it go back to '81 but that's probably just
> the compiler and DOS compatibility.

Ooh!  Ooh!  I don't suppose I could borrow that?  (Hmm...  Driving to london
isn't quite something my car's up to.  For one thing, there's no gas stations
in the middle of the atlantic.)

The copyright dates back to when they shipped it.  I believe Microsoft's
license with AT&T was signed in 1979 and actual work started in 1980, but
that's in a different notebook...

>   Basically Xenix was the first MS/IBM attempt at a "real OS" for the
> PC. MS realised that multiuser/multitasking was less important than
> colour graphics for PC owners and decided to pull out of the Xenix
> business. IBM licensed it under their name to keep their desktop computer
> concept alive while the Xenix team emerged from the shake out to form SCO.

Don't make the mistake of treating IBM -OR- Microsoft as a monolithic entity.
 IBM had a dozen departments constantly at war with each other: Unix had its
pockets of supporters at IBM, some of whom did AIX.

At Microsoft, Paul Allen was the bix Unix fan.  Gates was indifferent to it,
and was far more interested in the Xerox Parc perspective.

Both Bell Labs and Xerox Parc totally revolutionized computing.  Bell Labs
worked from the inside out, how the machine works and what programmers can
get it to do.  Multitasking, hierarchical filesystem, block and character
device drivers, streams, pipes, etc.  Xerox Parc worked from the outside in,
how the user interacts with the computer and what they experience.  Wysiwyg
printing, Windows and Icons and Mice in a GUI.  (Xerox also did object
oriented programming, and networking which was related to both the user and
system level.  Then again Unix spun out of porting a flight simulator to the
PDP 7.  It's not QUITE that black and white...)

In any case, gates was on the Xerox side and Allen was on the BTL side.  When
Allen left microsoft, Xenix followed soon after.  (First SCO was "helping",
then over the next few years the whole thing was gradually dumped on them and
the umbilical severed.)

Remember, Xenix hadn't made much of a splash in the PC world before 1984
because the PC simply didn't have the power to run it.  YOU try doing
anything useful with Unix in -LESS- than 512k of ram.  That doesn't mean it
wasn't having a big impact behind the scenes at Microsoft.  (Similarly,
windowing interfaces were Jobs's passion for 4 or 5 years before the
macintosh launch, whether or not Apple's revenues or customers even knew
about it.)

Rob

* RE: Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-23 17:57 ` Mike Jagdis
From: Mike Jagdis @ 2001-06-23 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Chandler, linux-kernel; +Cc: Rob Landley

> I hope the following adds a more direct perspective on this, as I
> was a user at the time.

I was _almost_ at university :-). However I do have a first edition
of the IBM Xenix Software Development Guide from december 1984. It has
'84 IBM copyright and '83 MS copyright. The SCO stuff I have goes back
to '83 - MS copyrights on it go back to '81 but that's probably just
the compiler and DOS compatibility.

  Basically Xenix was the first MS/IBM attempt at a "real OS" for the
PC. MS realised that multiuser/multitasking was less important than
colour graphics for PC owners and decided to pull out of the Xenix business.
IBM licensed it under their name to keep their desktop computer concept
alive while the Xenix team emerged from the shake out to form SCO.

				Mike

--
Chief Network Architect		Mobile:	+44 7780 608 368
Kokua Communications Ltd	Office:	+44 20 7292 1680

* Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-24  0:13   ` Michael Alan Dorman
From: Michael Alan Dorman @ 2001-06-24  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Rob Landley <landley@webofficenow.com> writes:
> That would be the X version of emacs.  And there's the explanation
> for the split between GNU and X emacs: it got forked and the
> closed-source version had a vew years of divergent development
> before opening back up, by which point it was very different to
> reconcile the two code bases.

No, sorry, wrong, for at least a couple of reasons reasons:

 1) XEmacs, being constrained to be under the same license (GPL) as
    its progenitor, GNU Emacs, could never have been closed-source.

 2) Lucid Emacs, the version of Emacs that becamse XEmacs, was not
    started until ca. 1992

    I refer you to http://www.jwz.org/doc/emacs-timeline.html for
    documentation---JWZ was Mr. Lucid Emacs for quite a time.

In 1987, there are any number of things that it could have been---I'd
guess either Unipress Emacs or perhaps Gosling Emacs.

Mike.

* Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-24  0:49   ` John Adams
From: John Adams @ 2001-06-24  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Saturday 23 June 2001 10:07, Rob Landley wrote:
> Here's what I'm looking for:
>
> AIX was first introduced for the IBM RT/PC in 1986, which came out of the
> early RISC research.  It was ported to PS/2 and S/370 by SAA, and was
> based on unix SVR2.  (The book didn't specify whether the original
> version or the version ported to SAA was based on SVR2, I'm guessing both
> were.)

You are partially correct.  AIX (Advanced Interactive eXecutive) was built
by the Boston office of Interactive Systems under contract to IBM.  We had
a maximum of 17 people in the effort which shipped on the RT in January
1986.

Prior to that time, Interactive Systems had produced a port of System III
running on the PC/XT called PC/IX which was sold via IBM.  I used PC/IX to
produce the software only floating point code in the first version of AIX.

johna

* Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-24  2:47   ` Eric W. Biederman
From: Eric W. Biederman @ 2001-06-24  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: landley; +Cc: Alan Chandler, linux-kernel

Rob Landley <landley@webofficenow.com> writes:

> Ummm...  GEM was the Geos stuff?  (Yeah I remember it, I haven't researched
> it yet though...)

GEM was a gui from Digital Research I believe.
Geoworks/Geos was a seperate entity.

It's been a long time since I looked but they both run fine under
dosemu...

Eric

* Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-24 10:36     ` Rob Landley
                         ` (4 more replies)
From: Rob Landley @ 2001-06-24 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric W. Biederman, landley; +Cc: Alan Chandler, linux-kernel

On Saturday 23 June 2001 22:47, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Rob Landley <landley@webofficenow.com> writes:
> > Ummm...  GEM was the Geos stuff?  (Yeah I remember it, I haven't
> > researched it yet though...)
>
> GEM was a gui from Digital Research I believe.
> Geoworks/Geos was a seperate entity.

Ah, the DR-DOS answer to dosshell/windows.  Cool.  (I used Dr. Dos byt never
tried its gui.)

I know the geos had nothing to do with digital, it started as a windowing GUI
for the commodore 64, if you can believe that...

> It's been a long time since I looked but they both run fine under
> dosemu...

I don't suppose you've got reference to literature or some such?  I'd love to
work this into my huge obnoxious data tree I'm building...

Rob

* Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-24 14:18     ` Rob Landley
From: Rob Landley @ 2001-06-24 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Alan Dorman, linux-kernel

On Saturday 23 June 2001 20:13, Michael Alan Dorman wrote:
> Rob Landley <landley@webofficenow.com> writes:
> > That would be the X version of emacs.  And there's the explanation
> > for the split between GNU and X emacs: it got forked and the
> > closed-source version had a vew years of divergent development
> > before opening back up, by which point it was very different to
> > reconcile the two code bases.
>
> No, sorry, wrong, for at least a couple of reasons reasons:

I've had this pointed out to me by about five people now.  Apparently there's
more to emacs than I thought...  (Considering its kitchen sink icon, this
should come as a suprise to no one...)

>     I refer you to http://www.jwz.org/doc/emacs-timeline.html for
>     documentation---JWZ was Mr. Lucid Emacs for quite a time.

Thanks for the link.  I've also been pointed to xemacs.org.  Have to check
out both next time I plug this laptop in to the net.  (And I apparently need
to set up a mailing list on this, since the number of people asking me to do
so has now hit double digits...)

I'll post a thing here when I do that so we can move at least most of this
discussion off linux-kernel.

> In 1987, there are any number of things that it could have been---I'd
> guess either Unipress Emacs or perhaps Gosling Emacs.

I sort of know about gosling's version.  (It's mentioned in Stallman's
history of emacs on gnu.org...)  Interesting how the same people keep popping
up as you move from topic to topic.  (Licklidder wasn't just a bigwig behind
arpanet, he also kicked off project mac at MIT.  Doug McIllroy who was one of
the half-dozen figures behind the unix launch at bell labs came to BTL after
working on project whirlwind at Lincoln Labs (I.E. MIT.)  And of course Ken
Olsen, hotshot at whirlwind behind core memory, creator of the memory test
computer that (when donated to marvin minsky's computing lab) virtually
created the whole "Hacker" phenomenon, whose wrote a paper as a graduate
student suggesting the use of transistors in computers which convinced IBM to
build the first fully transistorized computer (I -THINK-, timeline still a
bit fuzzy there to  claim "first", may just have been first commercially
shipping one), and then of course went off to found Digital after tx-0...

Hmmm...  I should probably corner Alan Cox at some event and ask him about
his Amiga days.  (And I DID track down Commodore guru Jim Butterfield last
year, he was living in Canada at the time.  Just got back into computing
after years with cataracts obstructing his vision, apparently...)

Rob

* Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-24 14:25     ` Rob Landley
From: Rob Landley @ 2001-06-24 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Adams, linux-kernel

On Saturday 23 June 2001 20:49, John Adams wrote:
> On Saturday 23 June 2001 10:07, Rob Landley wrote:
> > Here's what I'm looking for:
> >
> > AIX was first introduced for the IBM RT/PC in 1986, which came out of the
> > early RISC research.  It was ported to PS/2 and S/370 by SAA, and was
> > based on unix SVR2.  (The book didn't specify whether the original
> > version or the version ported to SAA was based on SVR2, I'm guessing both
> > were.)
>
> You are partially correct.  AIX (Advanced Interactive eXecutive) was built
> by the Boston office of Interactive Systems under contract to IBM.  We had
> a maximum of 17 people in the effort which shipped on the RT in January
> 1986.

Ah.  I got the above out of a book in the UT library.  (I have the name
written down in my notebook...  Um, possibly "IBM PS/2, a business
perspective" by Jim Hoskins, or more likely "IBM RISC 6000, a business
perspective" also by Jim Hoskins.  I have no idea who Jim Hoskins is.)

Obviously It's better to have somebody who was actually there.  Mind if I bug
you offline about this?  (Or better yet, convince you to join the mailing
list I'll be creating this afternoon...)

> Prior to that time, Interactive Systems had produced a port of System III
> running on the PC/XT called PC/IX which was sold via IBM.  I used PC/IX to
> produce the software only floating point code in the first version of AIX.

Cool.  I know there were several nebulous versions of unix available for the
PC.  (I don't know when coherent was introduced but it was around in 89...
And Xenix was always sort of floating around...  Considering that IBM also
had access to Xenix (if it wanted it), that's at least three versions of Unix
IBM could have put on the PC.

What do you want to bet no two of them ran the same binaries? :)

> johna

Rob

* Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-24 20:51         ` Rob Landley
From: Rob Landley @ 2001-06-24 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Dike, landley; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sunday 24 June 2001 21:45, Jeff Dike wrote:
> landley@webofficenow.com said:
> > Licklidder wasn't just a bigwig behind  arpanet, he also kicked off
> > project mac at MIT.
>
> You're right, but you could at least spell his name right - J. C. R.
> Licklider.
>
> 		Jeff (who was his last undergraduate thesis supervisee at MIT)

What can I say, I'm bad with names?

This is why I'm so careful to write them down accurately in my notebook,
which is at home.  (I have some stuff typed into a text file on my laptop,
but it's easier to drag out a notebook and jot something down then to wait 30
seconds for my dell monstrosity's bios to boot up, open a window, cd to the
approprite directory, edit a text file, then shut everything down again.

I should probably get a palm pilot one of these days...

Rob

* Re: Microsoft and Xenix - Now there's a mailing list for this discussion.
@ 2001-06-24 21:13         ` Rob Landley
From: Rob Landley @ 2001-06-24 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: penguicon-comphist
  Cc: linux-kernel, root, phillips, zaitcev, jcownie, hahn, rschilling,
	jcwren, charlesc, bruce.holzrichter, meissner, dsmitts, gurre,
	colin, hps, michael, jstanforth, gmack, alan, mjagdis, ebiederm,
	Wayne.Brown, gurre, vanonim, cks, tim, andreas

On Sunday 24 June 2001 18:41, Chris Meadors wrote:

> Okay, I brushed on GEOS, Microsoft, Xenix, and even Linux.  So I'm as on
> topic as the rest of this thread.  I just have never told my story on l-k,
> and this seemed a good place to put a little of it in.  :)
>
> -Chris

I just created a mailing list for this discussion attached to one of my
existing sourceforge projects.  It's penguicon-comphist@lists.sourceforge.net.

This is sort of an abuse of sourceforge, but then again the project I
attached it to is to put together a Linux convention in Austin in 2003 and
we'll probably have at least one panel on computer history, and most likely a
BOF too, so it's SORT of on topic. :)

To subscribe, apparently you go here:

(I've cc'd the people who've emailed me about this topic so far, but haven't
subscribed anybody.  If you're interested, you have to do it yourself.)

Rob

* [OT] Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-24 22:20       ` Daniel Phillips
                         ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Daniel Phillips @ 2001-06-24 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Landley; +Cc: Alan Chandler, linux-kernel

On Sunday 24 June 2001 12:36, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Saturday 23 June 2001 22:47, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> > GEM was a gui from Digital Research I believe.
> > Geoworks/Geos was a seperate entity.
>
> Ah, the DR-DOS answer to dosshell/windows.  Cool.  (I used Dr. Dos byt
> never tried its gui.)

GEM had its moment of glory when Xerox used it for the gui of Ventura
Publisher.

--
Daniel

* Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-24 22:41       ` Chris Meadors
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Chris Meadors @ 2001-06-24 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Landley; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sun, 24 Jun 2001, Rob Landley wrote:

> I know the geos had nothing to do with digital, it started as a windowing GUI
> for the commodore 64, if you can believe that...

Not only can I belive it, but I was going to bring it up the first time
GEOS was mentioned.  Having only used Macs (in school) for file operations
(I had loaded games off a TSR-80 datasette).  I couldn't follow
copying/deleting/renaming files by typing commands when my family finally
got me a C64.  So I relied heavily on GEOS.  I even got one of those touch
pads to move the cursor around the screen.

When my dad finally got a PC in 1991 it had MS-DOS 5.0 and Windows 3.1 on
it.  I didn't like Windows too much, but still found DOS awkward (still
using Macs in school).  I started using dosshell a lot for file
operations.  But when I saw an ad for GEOS in a computer mag. I was so
happy.  I ended up using that for a while.  But more and more programs
required Windows, and that made me mad.

There was one book that totally changed my life.  I can't remember the
correct title, but it was something to the effect of Secrets to the DOS
Gurus.  After reading that book, I fell in love with the command line
interface.  Everything started making sense.

Somewhere along the line, I think 1994 I started working for the Maryland
state government at a Healt Department.  They were running Xenix (SCO, the
2 names were interchanged a lot) on a 386.  A few of the "important"
people had serial lines run to their Win 3.1 PCs where they'd use Telix to
run the database programs on the Xenix box.

As I watched people work on in Xenix I recognized a lot of the commands I
had picked up using the Delphi online service.  I had a neighbor that
showed me some stuff I could do if I chose the Exit to Shell option.

In 1995 still working for the Health Department I got to go to my first
trade show, FOSE.  I met and heavily impressed a lot of booth workers.
One such booth was Microsoft.  I was invited to participate in their beta
program for the upcoming Windows 95 (I was one of the "lucky" people who
didn't have to pay for their betas).

I used the Win95 betas for a while.  But something happened that year.  I
got a Linux Unleashed book from SAMS.  It included a copy of Slackware.  I
installed that along side my Win95, and when I saw how fast Doom loaded I
was in love.  I vowed that on August 24, 1995 I would delete Windows from
my machine and never use it again.  Well I can't say that I have held
complete faithful to that vow, but I have had Linux on my machine ever
since then.  Now my computer is Windows free and has been for a year and a
half.

Okay, I brushed on GEOS, Microsoft, Xenix, and even Linux.  So I'm as on
topic as the rest of this thread.  I just have never told my story on l-k,
and this seemed a good place to put a little of it in.  :)

-Chris
--
Two penguins were walking on an iceberg.  The first penguin said to the
second, "you look like you are wearing a tuxedo."  The second penguin

* Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-25  0:55       ` William T Wilson
From: William T Wilson @ 2001-06-25  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Landley; +Cc: Eric W. Biederman, Alan Chandler, linux-kernel

On Sun, 24 Jun 2001, Rob Landley wrote:

> I know the geos had nothing to do with digital, it started as a
> windowing GUI for the commodore 64, if you can believe that...

I've actually got a copy, but it's for the Apple // :}

* Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-25  1:45       ` Jeff Dike
From: Jeff Dike @ 2001-06-25  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: landley; +Cc: linux-kernel

landley@webofficenow.com said:
> Licklidder wasn't just a bigwig behind  arpanet, he also kicked off
> project mac at MIT.

You're right, but you could at least spell his name right - J. C. R. Licklider.

		Jeff (who was his last undergraduate thesis supervisee at MIT)

* Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-06-25  3:17       ` Eric W. Biederman
From: Eric W. Biederman @ 2001-06-25  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: landley; +Cc: linux-kernel

Rob Landley <landley@webofficenow.com> writes:

> On Saturday 23 June 2001 22:47, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> > Rob Landley <landley@webofficenow.com> writes:
> > > Ummm...  GEM was the Geos stuff?  (Yeah I remember it, I haven't
> > > researched it yet though...)
> >
> > GEM was a gui from Digital Research I believe.
> > Geoworks/Geos was a seperate entity.
>
> Ah, the DR-DOS answer to dosshell/windows.  Cool.  (I used Dr. Dos byt never
> tried its gui.)

Actually I believe GEM predates DR-DOS, and except for being
made by the same company I don't think they were ever related.

Eric

* [OT] Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-25  3:38         ` Michal Jaegermann
From: Michal Jaegermann @ 2001-06-25  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 12:20:40AM +0200, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> On Sunday 24 June 2001 12:36, Rob Landley wrote:
> > On Saturday 23 June 2001 22:47, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> > > GEM was a gui from Digital Research I believe.
> > > Geoworks/Geos was a seperate entity.
> >
> > Ah, the DR-DOS answer to dosshell/windows.  Cool.  (I used Dr. Dos byt
> > never tried its gui.)
>
> GEM had its moment of glory when Xerox used it for the gui of Ventura
> Publisher.

GEM (a slight variation) was also providing GUI on Atari ST.  At that
time it was heavily beating pants off from anything M$ was able to
cobble together on nominally much faster machines.

   Michal

* Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-25 17:11         ` asmith
From: asmith @ 2001-06-25 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William T Wilson
  Cc: Rob Landley, Eric W. Biederman, Alan Chandler, linux-kernel

Hi,

I first used  Unix on a PDP11/44 whilst studying for my Computer Engineering
degree at Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh.  I think they and Queen
Margaret
College, London were the first folk running Unix version 6 outside Bell Labs.
If anyone knows where Patrick O'Callaghan is now (ask him).

Another Unix like OS was Cromemco Cromix running on  bank switched Z80 S-100
kit.(later 68000).

I then used SCO Xenix 286 on early Compaq 286 PC's.   Companies like Chase,
Specialix and Stallion grew up as suppliers of intelligent RS-232 boards.  As
a result of all these Xenix machines, Wyse sold a hell of a lot of WY50
terminals.

Who remembers terminals from Lear Siegler and Beehive.   All this was before
networking came about.  Then the Chase Iolan to connect these same Wyse
terminals to the SCO box but through one bit of co-ax instead of multi-core
cables.  Also you could get 100m  away from your SCO box  with co-ax.

--
Andrew Smith in Edinburgh

On Sun, 24 Jun
2001, William T Wilson wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Jun 2001, Rob Landley wrote:
>
> > I know the geos had nothing to do with digital, it started as a
> > windowing GUI for the commodore 64, if you can believe that...
>
> I've actually got a copy, but it's for the Apple // :}
>
> -

* Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-25 18:18           ` Robert J.Dunlop
From: Robert J.Dunlop @ 2001-06-25 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: asmith
  Cc: William T Wilson, Rob Landley, Eric W. Biederman, Alan Chandler,
	linux-kernel

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 06:27:24PM +0100, asmith@14inverleith.freeserve.co.uk wrote:
> I first used  Unix on a PDP11/44 whilst studying for my Computer Engineering
> degree at Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh.  I think they and Queen Margaret
> College, London were the first folk running Unix version 6 outside Bell Labs.

Hey! Don't forget UKC ;-) Cut my teeth on pdp11 v6 and VAXen BSD 4.1 once I got
away from the dreaded EMAS. Edinbugh Multi-Access System was the pitts.

> I then used SCO Xenix 286 on early Compaq 286 PC's.   Companies like Chase,
> Specialix and Stallion grew up as suppliers of intelligent RS-232 boards.  As
> a result of all these Xenix machines, Wyse sold a hell of a lot of WY50
> terminals.

Great days.  The business was so incestuous.  We seemed to swap engineers on a
regular basis.  Hacking drivers without kernel source and documentation that
always seemed at least a release behind.  Still keep a WY60 manual on my book
shelf and always regret losing the VT100 one.

> Who remembers terminals from Lear Siegler and Beehive.   All this was before
> networking came about.  Then the Chase Iolan to connect these same Wyse
> terminals to the SCO box but through one bit of co-ax instead of multi-core
> cables.  Also you could get 100m  away from your SCO box  with co-ax.

And the trouble we had explaining to customers that they had to buy a separate
SCO TCP/IP networking package just to hook up the IOLAN.

--
        Bob Dunlop
        rjd@xyzzy.clara.co.uk

* Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-25 19:23 ` Kai Henningsen
From: Kai Henningsen @ 2001-06-25 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: penguicon-comphist

landley@webofficenow.com (Rob Landley)  wrote on 23.06.01 in <01062310075401.00696@localhost.localdomain>:

> on April 2, 1987.  (models 50, 60, and 80.)  The SAA/SNA push also extended
> through the System/370 and AS400 stuff too.  (I think 370's the mainframe
> and AS400 is the minicomputer, but I'd have to look it up.  One of them
> (AS400?) had a database built into the OS.  Interestingly, this is where SQL
> originated (my notes say SQL came from the System/370 but I have to
> double-check that, I thought the AS400 was the one with the built in
> database?).

The AS/400 is still going strong. It's a virtual machine based on a
relational database (among other things), mostly programmed in COBOL (I
think the C compiler has sizeof(void*) == 16 or something like that, so
you can put a database position in that pointer), it doesn't know the
difference between disk and memory (memory is *really* only a cache), and
these days it's usually running on PowerPC hardware.

ISTR there's a gcc port for the AS/400. Oh, and it does have normal BSD
Sockets. These days, it's often sold as a web server.

Main customer base seems to be medium large businesses and banks.

> Lotus-Intel-Microsoft Expanded Memory Specification), and "DOSShell" which
> conformed to the SAA graphical user interface guidelines.

Nope, the text user interface guidelines, a related but not the same
beast. That's where F1 == Help is from, by the way.

In fact, the user interface part of SAA was (is?) called CUA. And many IBM
text mode interfaces more or less follow it, including OS/400 (the os of
the AS/400). Once upon a time, I had the specs for CUA.

> The PS/2 model 70/80 (desktop/tower versions of same thing) were IBM's first
> 386 based PC boxes, which came with either DOS 3.3, DOS 4.0, OS/2 (1.0), or
> AIX.

The first 386 PCs where not from IBM, by the way. Was it Compaq?

> AIX was NOT fully SAA/SNA compliant,

AFAICT, nothing ever was fully SAA compliant, though some systems were
more compliant than others.

> Hmmm...  Notes on the history of shareware (pc-write/bob wallace/quiicksoft,
> pc-file/pc-calc/jim button/buttonware, pc-talk/andrew flugelman, apparently
> the chronological order is andrew-jim-bob, and bob came up with the name
> "shareware" because "freeware" was a trademark of Headlands Press, Inc...)

That may be, but I believe the *concept* was invented in 1980 by Bill
Basham, with the Apple ][ DOS replacement Diversi-DOS (which was the most
popular of many versions to increase disk speed by about a factor of 5). I
still remember discussions how copying this stuff was actually the right
thing to do. Seems he's still in business as "Diversified Software
Research", http://www.divtune.com/.

> running AIX.  The engineers (in Austin) whent on for the second generation
> Risc System 6000 (the RS/6000) with AIX version 3, launched February 15
> 1990. The acronym "POWER" stands for Performance Optimized WIth Enhanced
> Risc.

The PowerPC was split off from the POWER architecture, and then the POWER
stuff was turned into the high end above PowerPC (with system prices about
a factor of ten higher as the lower bound).

IBM developed a version of OS/2 2.0 for the PowerPC, but *never* marketed
it - you could buy it if you knew the right number, but they never spent a
single cent on advertizing - by the time it was done, IBM had given up on
OS/2. Most OS/2 fans agreed that it was killed by IBM with extremely bad
marketing.

These days, of course Apple builds the most PowerPC machines; Motorola and
IBM produce the chips.

> Ummm...  GEM was the Geos stuff?

No. GEM, I believe, originally came from CP/M. Most popular as the
windowing system of the Atari ST; given that someone did a quick-hack MS-
DOS clone to support it on the 68K, it seems fairly obvious that by that
time, it had already been ported to MS-DOS. (GEM-DOS is the only os I know
of that was actually worse than MS-DOS.)

Friends of mine (Gereon Steffens and Stefan Eissing) wrote a command-line
shell and desktop replacement for the Atari that was fairly successful
shareware for a while ... now how was it called? The CLI was Mupfel
(German for shell is Muschel, and there was a kid's TV character who
pronounced Muschel as Mupfel), and I think the desktop was Gemini. Another
(Julian Reschke) wrote *the* German Atari ST book. This was a fairly
prominent Atari ST area for a while, but somehow I never had one.

> Using 3d accelerator cards to play MPEG video streams is only now becoming
> feasable to do under X.  And it SHOULD be possible to do that through a
> 100baseT network, let alone gigabit, but the layering's all wrong...)

One might say it's time for X12, except the installed base of X11 has
become too large.

MfG Kai

* Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-26 15:16   ` Rob Landley
From: Rob Landley @ 2001-06-26 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Henningsen, linux-kernel; +Cc: penguicon-comphist

On Monday 25 June 2001 15:23, Kai Henningsen wrote:

> The AS/400 is still going strong. It's a virtual machine based on a
> relational database (among other things), mostly programmed in COBOL (I
> think the C compiler has sizeof(void*) == 16 or something like that, so
> you can put a database position in that pointer), it doesn't know the
> difference between disk and memory (memory is *really* only a cache), and
> these days it's usually running on PowerPC hardware.
>
> ISTR there's a gcc port for the AS/400. Oh, and it does have normal BSD
> Sockets. These days, it's often sold as a web server.
>
> Main customer base seems to be medium large businesses and banks.

The AS400 seems to be based out of Austin.  We hear a lot about it around
here...

> > Lotus-Intel-Microsoft Expanded Memory Specification), and "DOSShell"
> > which conformed to the SAA graphical user interface guidelines.
>
> Nope, the text user interface guidelines, a related but not the same
> beast. That's where F1 == Help is from, by the way.

Same overall push.  I think the distinction there is a bit nit-picking to put
in the book, but I'll have to look it up to make sure...

> In fact, the user interface part of SAA was (is?) called CUA. And many IBM
> text mode interfaces more or less follow it, including OS/400 (the os of
> the AS/400). Once upon a time, I had the specs for CUA.

When I worked at IBM I had to program for CUA.  Ouch.  Painful memories...

How did any of this related to the "Common Desktop Environment", by the way?

> > The PS/2 model 70/80 (desktop/tower versions of same thing) were IBM's
> > first 386 based PC boxes, which came with either DOS 3.3, DOS 4.0, OS/2
> > (1.0), or AIX.
>
> The first 386 PCs where not from IBM, by the way. Was it Compaq?

It was compaq.  The "Desqpro" or some such.  That was actually an important
turning point, Compaq basically stuck a 32 bit processor in a machine that
was otherwise designed for a 16 bit one.  It had a 16 bit ISA bus, 8 bit 30
pin simms that had been paired off now needed to be used in groups of 4...
It was a painful hack from a hardware perspective.

IBM was busy trying to upgrade the memory system and bus and stuff to be a
better platform for the 386, but the waited to long and compaq just came out
with "a quick hack now", and everybody else started copying compaq
(especially when IBM's alternative was patented and thus not easily
clonable...)

With the PS/2 IBM succeeded in preventing the clones from copying them.
Their mistake was in thinking that this was a good thing.

> > AIX was NOT fully SAA/SNA compliant,
>
> AFAICT, nothing ever was fully SAA compliant, though some systems were
> more compliant than others.

Yeah, but AIX didn't even pretend to be.  And that sidelined it within IBM in
the late 80's in a big way.  (Up until Gerster took over and overturned
everything.)

> > Hmmm...  Notes on the history of shareware (pc-write/bob
> > wallace/quiicksoft, pc-file/pc-calc/jim button/buttonware, pc-talk/andrew
> > flugelman, apparently the chronological order is andrew-jim-bob, and bob
> > came up with the name "shareware" because "freeware" was a trademark of
> > Headlands Press, Inc...)
>
> That may be, but I believe the *concept* was invented in 1980 by Bill

The "concept" of freeware had been around as public domain software forever.
The homebrew club thought that way naturally about micros, and the MIT
hackers thought that way also.

If you're saying basham invented shareware...  Maybe.  I'll have to look into
it.  I'm just tracing back the origin of the word...

> Basham, with the Apple ][ DOS replacement Diversi-DOS (which was the most
> popular of many versions to increase disk speed by about a factor of 5). I
> still remember discussions how copying this stuff was actually the right
> thing to do. Seems he's still in business as "Diversified Software
> Research", http://www.divtune.com/.

Adding link to link pile...

> > running AIX.  The engineers (in Austin) whent on for the second
> > generation Risc System 6000 (the RS/6000) with AIX version 3, launched
> > February 15 1990. The acronym "POWER" stands for Performance Optimized
> > WIth Enhanced Risc.
>
> The PowerPC was split off from the POWER architecture, and then the POWER
> stuff was turned into the high end above PowerPC (with system prices about
> a factor of ten higher as the lower bound).

Yeah, I have to research that bit still.  I know the vague bits (the
IBM/apple/motorola hegemony to unseat Intel with risc, conceived before Intel
came out with the Pentium, of course...)

> IBM developed a version of OS/2 2.0 for the PowerPC, but *never* marketed
> it - you could buy it if you knew the right number, but they never spent a
> single cent on advertizing - by the time it was done, IBM had given up on
> OS/2. Most OS/2 fans agreed that it was killed by IBM with extremely bad
> marketing.

My first job out of college was working at IBM in Boca Raton florida on the
install system for OS/2 for the power PC.  (The monster that became Feature
Install in version 4.0 because I ported it back to Intel and cleaned it up
until it at least ran.  It actually would have been easier to start over from
scratch, the code base I inherited sucked to an UNBELIEVABLE degree.)

I know ALL the dirt about that project.  The CD actually had Compuserve
Information Manager as one of the things it could install.  The whole "bonus
pack" from 3.0 was there too.  The idea was to port the sucker to a
microkernel ("Workplace OS") and then port that back to Intel.  Of course the
microkernel kept changing on a weekly basis right up until the end, so no
code on top of it was ever actually finished...  And our hardware prototypes
changed a bit too (pineapple, etc).  And the performance of all of them just
SUCKED compared to Intel stuff...  (We had a watcom cross-compiler that
produced these OBSCENELY large executables...)

Don't get me started on that.

And IBM didn't give up on OS/2 until they'd done one more Intel version
(4.0), which was unfortunately far too late to make any difference.  OS/2 for
PPC "shipped to the shelf" (a mercy killing) at the same time IBM
consolidated the boca site to austin texas.  (That's how I wound up in
austin, 4 months after I arrived in boca they announced they would pay me to
move to austin, and 4 months after THAT we did it.)

Then in Austin we did 4.0, which was kind of unpleasant because they'd
decided on the ship schedule for it BEFORE deciding to do the site
consolidation, and from day one we were trying to make up 4 months out of a 1
year schedule that was pretty ambitious to begin with.  I worked my first 90
hour week doing that.  They gave me a pager and used it between midnight and
2 am three times in the same week.  And of course none of us were being paid
overtime, but we were all locked in (for either 1 year or 2 years) because
we'd have to pay back the move money otherwise (quite generous incentives,
actually), and IBM knew it.  But a lot of people quite anyway (or took "early
retirement" incentives, long story...)

But when the 1 year or 2 year period was up, the OS/2 development team was
just GONE.  Bang, flush, empty parkings lot in the 900 buildings.  EVERYBODY
left.  Most of them quit IBM.

The IBM push to Java actually started in late 1995 (during the falcon
shutdown), and was in full swing for OS/2 4.0.  They were really trying to
transition the OS/2 base into Java users who might not stay with OS/2 but at
least wouldn't be locked into the Windows monopoly.  The AIX guys were doing
the same thing, as were the AS400 and 360 guys.  IBM even produced a version
of Java for windows 3.1, for a while.  (Because Microsoft wouldn't.)

> These days, of course Apple builds the most PowerPC machines; Motorola and
> IBM produce the chips.
>
> > Ummm...  GEM was the Geos stuff?
>
> No. GEM, I believe, originally came from CP/M. Most popular as the
> windowing system of the Atari ST; given that someone did a quick-hack MS-
> DOS clone to support it on the 68K, it seems fairly obvious that by that
> time, it had already been ported to MS-DOS. (GEM-DOS is the only os I know
> of that was actually worse than MS-DOS.)

The atari history site has a lot of info on this.  So does the CP/M museum.
(I'll probably be putting up a links list on a web page over the next few
days...)

> Friends of mine (Gereon Steffens and Stefan Eissing) wrote a command-line
> shell and desktop replacement for the Atari that was fairly successful
> shareware for a while ... now how was it called? The CLI was Mupfel
> (German for shell is Muschel, and there was a kid's TV character who
> pronounced Muschel as Mupfel), and I think the desktop was Gemini. Another
> (Julian Reschke) wrote *the* German Atari ST book. This was a fairly
> prominent Atari ST area for a while, but somehow I never had one.

Germany was big into the commodore 64, OS/2, the amiga, and the atari ST.
Basically they were "anything but microsoft" even back in the 80's.  (Sheesh,
-I- didn't start to hate Microsoft until about 1989.  Admittedly I didn't own
my own PC until 1990.  Amiga and commodore 64 before then.  Used friends'
PCs, though.  WWIV mods are the reason I learned C in the first place...)

> > Using 3d accelerator cards to play MPEG video streams is only now
> > becoming feasable to do under X.  And it SHOULD be possible to do that
> > through a 100baseT network, let alone gigabit, but the layering's all
> > wrong...)
>
> One might say it's time for X12, except the installed base of X11 has
> become too large.

The installed base of X11 goes through xlib, and half of it REALLY goes
through either GTK or QT.

They're porting GTK and QT to a frame buffer.

An open-source installed base really isn't as much of a compatability
nightmare as you'd think.  Sure you need to keep support for old APIs, but
recompiling with "compatability" libries that translate from one APi to
another is relatively normal and gradually porting code from one API set to
another is a fact of life...

> MfG Kai

Rob

* Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-26 21:26     ` Michael Meissner
From: Michael Meissner @ 2001-06-26 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Landley; +Cc: Kai Henningsen, linux-kernel, penguicon-comphist

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 11:16:27AM -0400, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Monday 25 June 2001 15:23, Kai Henningsen wrote:
>
> > The AS/400 is still going strong. It's a virtual machine based on a
> > relational database (among other things), mostly programmed in COBOL (I
> > think the C compiler has sizeof(void*) == 16 or something like that, so
> > you can put a database position in that pointer), it doesn't know the
> > difference between disk and memory (memory is *really* only a cache), and
> > these days it's usually running on PowerPC hardware.
> >
> > ISTR there's a gcc port for the AS/400. Oh, and it does have normal BSD
> > Sockets. These days, it's often sold as a web server.
> >
> > Main customer base seems to be medium large businesses and banks.
>
> The AS400 seems to be based out of Austin.  We hear a lot about it around
> here...

Ummm, the AS/400 was based out of Rochester, Minnesota at least initially.  It
was the follow to System/3 -> System/36 -> System/38, and customers originally
programmed it in RPG-III and Cobol.  Now that AS/400's are based on special
PowerPC's, the home may have moved to Austin, which is the PowerPC/AIX center.
The AS/400 line was intended to be the mid-range system, between the mainframes
(360 -> 370 -> 3080 -> 3900 -> ???) and the PCs.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)
Work:	  meissner@redhat.com		phone: +1 978-486-9304

* Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-27  8:09       ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2001-06-27  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Meissner
  Cc: Rob Landley, Kai Henningsen, linux-kernel, penguicon-comphist

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Michael Meissner wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 11:16:27AM -0400, Rob Landley wrote:
> > The AS400 seems to be based out of Austin.  We hear a lot about it around
> > here...
>
> Ummm, the AS/400 was based out of Rochester, Minnesota at least initially.  It
> was the follow to System/3 -> System/36 -> System/38, and customers originally
> programmed it in RPG-III and Cobol.  Now that AS/400's are based on special
> PowerPC's, the home may have moved to Austin, which is the PowerPC/AIX center.
> The AS/400 line was intended to be the mid-range system, between the mainframes
> (360 -> 370 -> 3080 -> 3900 -> ???) and the PCs.

360 -> 370 -> 3080 -> 3090 -> ES/9000 -> zSeries, IIRC

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds

* Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-27 13:43       ` Peter Bergner
From: Peter Bergner @ 2001-06-27 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Kernel

First off, my apologies for posting this from my non-work email address.

Rob Landley wrote:
: The AS400 seems to be based out of Austin.  We hear a lot about it around
: here...

and...

Michael Meissner wrote:
: Ummm, the AS/400 was based out of Rochester, Minnesota at least initially.
[snip]
: Now that AS/400's are based on special PowerPC's, the home may have moved
: to Austin, which is the PowerPC/AIX center.

The AS/400 (now named iSeries) is and always has been produced in
Rochester Minnesota.  The RS/6000 (now named pSeries) is designed
in Austin.  Both the AS/400 and the RS/6000 are manufactured in
Rochester.  As of some model which escapes me now, both AS/400 and
RS/6000 computers use the *same* PowerPC processor.  The only
difference is that the AS/400 runs the processor in "tags active"
mode (ie, the 65th tag bit enabled).  The first PowerPC processors
used in the AS/400 was designed here in Rochester.  Follow-ons were
designed in Austin.

Kai Henningsen wrote:
: ISTR there's a gcc port for the AS/400.

Due to the fact that the AS/400 has 1 address space shared by all
processes, several restrictions have been implemented.  The main
restriction regarding your statement above is that *all* code that runs
on the AS/400 is compiled by the "trusted" translator (an exception
would be our Java JIT).  This means you cannot create a binary with gcc
and hope to run it on the AS/400.  However, you may use gcc to produce
MI instructions which can then be passed to the trusted translator.

Peter

--
Peter Bergner
SLIC Optimizing Translator Development / Linux PPC64 Kernel Development

* Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-27 18:07         ` Peter De Schrijver
From: Peter De Schrijver @ 2001-06-27 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Uytterhoeven
  Cc: Michael Meissner, Rob Landley, Kai Henningsen, linux-kernel,
	penguicon-comphist

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 10:09:41AM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Michael Meissner wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 11:16:27AM -0400, Rob Landley wrote:
> > > The AS400 seems to be based out of Austin.  We hear a lot about it around
> > > here...
> >
> > Ummm, the AS/400 was based out of Rochester, Minnesota at least initially.  It
> > was the follow to System/3 -> System/36 -> System/38, and customers originally
> > programmed it in RPG-III and Cobol.  Now that AS/400's are based on special
> > PowerPC's, the home may have moved to Austin, which is the PowerPC/AIX center.
> > The AS/400 line was intended to be the mid-range system, between the mainframes
> > (360 -> 370 -> 3080 -> 3900 -> ???) and the PCs.
>
> 360 -> 370 -> 3080 -> 3090 -> ES/9000 -> zSeries, IIRC

 360 -> 370 -> 3080 -> 3090 -> ES/9000 -> S/390 -> zSeries ?

Peter.

* Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-28 21:11   ` Thomas Dodd
From: Thomas Dodd @ 2001-06-28 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Henningsen; +Cc: linux-kernel, penguicon-comphist

Kai Henningsen wrote:
> No. GEM, I believe, originally came from CP/M. Most popular as the
> windowing system of the Atari ST; given that someone did a quick-hack MS-
> DOS clone to support it on the 68K, it seems fairly obvious that by that
> time, it had already been ported to MS-DOS. (GEM-DOS is the only os I know
> of that was actually worse than MS-DOS.)

And ATARI goofed by not including more than GEM in the ST(e).
Should have used the whole system like the TT and Falcon did.

> Friends of mine (Gereon Steffens and Stefan Eissing) wrote a command-line

If you see them, tell them an old STe user thanks them for there
work. Without them I might never have headed to Unix :)

Vielen Dank Herren.

> shell and desktop replacement for the Atari that was fairly successful
> shareware for a while ... now how was it called? The CLI was Mupfel
> (German for shell is Muschel, and there was a kid's TV character who
> pronounced Muschel as Mupfel), and I think the desktop was Gemini. Another

I still have Gemini on a Disk for my STe. The SCSI adaptor died,
so I don't know if the data is still good though.

Then I tried the Minix port MinT (Mint is not TOS :)
and was hooked on Unix. If I could get my SCSI adaptor
fixed/replaced I'd still have my STe running, maybe
even get a memory card (for > 4Meg) and a CPU upgrade
(68000 is slow, get 68030 or 40 like the Falcon)

Then I could run Linux on it (it need that math co-proc)

	-Thomas

* Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
                         ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-07-02 10:04       ` Juan Quintela
From: Juan Quintela @ 2001-07-02 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: landley; +Cc: Eric W. Biederman, Alan Chandler, linux-kernel

rob> On Saturday 23 June 2001 22:47, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>> Rob Landley <landley@webofficenow.com> writes:
>> > Ummm...  GEM was the Geos stuff?  (Yeah I remember it, I haven't
>> > researched it yet though...)
>>
>> GEM was a gui from Digital Research I believe.
>> Geoworks/Geos was a seperate entity.

rob> Ah, the DR-DOS answer to dosshell/windows.  Cool.  (I used Dr. Dos byt never
rob> tried its gui.)

Nope.  GEM is older that dosshell, if I remember correctly, dosshell
appeared with dos 4.x, and GEM was there with DOS 3.x (was x = 22?).
I also had DOS+ from Digital Research in my Amstrad PC1512.

Later, Juan.

are different -- Larry McVoy

* Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-27  2:10         ` Steve Underwood
From: Steve Underwood @ 2001-06-27  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: landley; +Cc: linux-kernel

Rob Landley wrote:

> On Monday 25 June 2001 11:13, you wrote:
>
> > 1937 claude shannon A Symbolic Analysis of Relay and Switching Circuits,"
> >
> > 1948 claude shannon A mathematical theory of information.
> >
> > without those you're kind in trouble on the computing front...
>
> Yeah, I know I've bumped into that name (and probably taken notes) somewhere.
>  Hmmm...  Might be from "Where wizards stay up late", or might have been an
> article linked from slashdot...  (I don't THINK it was mentioned in
> "Hackers"...  Rodents, where was the reference...  Crystal fire?  That's
> mostly hardware.  Accidental Empries?  Doesn't sound right...  Can't have
> been "Fire in the valley" because I haven't read that yet, it's still sitting
> on the bookshelf.  Not soul of a new machine, that's post-digital Equipment
> Corporation...)
>
> I THINK that's in the set of notes that's on the box that's not hooked up
> right now...  (Shortage of monitors at home.)
>
> This was the dude who decided to apply a binary and boolean approach to
> electronic computation, right?  I KNOW I've read some stuff about him... late
> last year?
>
> Now I remember.  Slashdot linked to his obituary:

Shannon was one of the clearest thinkers of the 20th century, and yet
his name is hardly known outside his own field. Within his field he is
respected at the level of, say, Newton. It was a real loss to mankind
when he died a few months back.

Regards,
Steve

* Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-26 16:42     ` Rob Landley
From: Rob Landley @ 2001-06-26 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Phillips, Joel Jaeggli, Jocelyn Mayer; +Cc: landley, linux-kernel

On Tuesday 26 June 2001 12:15, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 June 2001 17:15, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> > On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Jocelyn Mayer wrote:
> >
> > you get DR-DOS = Digital Research DOS, then you get Novell DOS, then
> > you get Caldera OpenDOS, currently opendos is owned by lineo
>
> Yes, and the source actually was open for a short time when Caldera had it,
> then it snapped back shut like a clam.  I wanted to use DrDos for an
> industrial project because of less paranoid licensing than MS-Dos, but
> after being rebuffed in no uncertain terms when I offered to fix a bug I
> ran away shuddering and jumped on the Linux cluetrain.
>
> > > I think I remember that DR-DOS was the name that Caldera
> > > gave to the Digital Research OS, previously known as GEMDOS,

After Ransom Love fell for Microsoft's "Stop using the GPL so we can fork
your stuff and make a proprietary version" campaign...  That pretty much
buried the needle on my "cluelessness" meter.  As far as I'm concerned, the
only thing Caldera could still do that would suprise me would be to come to
their senses.

Rob

* Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-26 16:15   ` Daniel Phillips
From: Daniel Phillips @ 2001-06-26 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Jaeggli, Jocelyn Mayer; +Cc: landley, linux-kernel

@ 2001-06-26 15:15 ` Joel Jaeggli
From: Joel Jaeggli @ 2001-06-26 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jocelyn Mayer; +Cc: landley, linux-kernel

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Jocelyn Mayer wrote:

you get DR-DOS = Digital Research DOS, then you get Novell DOS, then
you get Caldera OpenDOS, currently opendos is owned by lineo

> I think I remember that DR-DOS was the name that Caldera
> gave to the Digital Research OS, previously known as GEMDOS,

Joel Jaeggli				       joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
Academic User Services			     consult@gladstone.uoregon.edu
     PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E
It is clear that the arm of criticism cannot replace the criticism of
arms.  Karl Marx -- Introduction to the critique of Hegel's Philosophy of
the right, 1843.

* Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-26  3:21 Jocelyn Mayer
From: Jocelyn Mayer @ 2001-06-26  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: landley, linux-kernel

> /> > GEM was a gui from Digital Research I believe. /
> /> > Geoworks/Geos was a seperate entity. /
> /> /
> /> Ah, the DR-DOS answer to dosshell/windows. Cool. (I used Dr. Dos
> byt never /
> /> tried its gui.) /
>
> Actually I believe GEM predates DR-DOS, and except for being
> made by the same company I don't think they were ever related.
>
> Eric

Well

I think I remember that DR-DOS was the name that Caldera
gave to the Digital Research OS, previously known as GEMDOS,
when then bought the company.
GEMDOS was the official OS under the GEM Gui,
but GEM was also able to run with MS-DOS
and TOS (the Atari OS).

Geoworks / Geos isn't a Digital Research product,
but has been developped by guys who ran away from Digital
when it has been bought by Novell...

Some guys told me that they worked with Geos
and that it was really closed with the internal
"GEM spirit"....

Regards.

Jocelyn.

* Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-25 20:19     ` asmith
From: asmith @ 2001-06-25 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Henningsen; +Cc: linux-kernel, penguicon-comphist

Hi again,

some old brain-cells got excited with the "good-ol-days" and other names have
surfaced like "Superbrain","Sirius" and "Apricot".Sirius was Victor in the
USA.  If you go done the so-called IBM compatible route then the nearly
compatible  nightmares  will arise and haunt you, your lucky if the scars
have faded!!

I learnt my computing on a PDP8/E with papertape punch/reader, RALF, Fortran
II, then later 2.4Mb removable cartridges (RK05 I think).  toggling in the
bootstrap improved your concentration. Much later you could
get a single chip(?) version of this in a wee knee sized box.

One summer job was working on a PDP15 analog computer alongside an 11/20 with
DECTAPE, trying to compute missile firing angles. [A simple version of Pres
Bush's starwars shield].

--

Andrew Smith in Edinburgh,Scotland

 On 25 Jun 2001, Kai Henningsen wrote:

> landley@webofficenow.com (Rob Landley)  wrote on 24.06.01 in <0106241044060C.01519@localhost.localdomain>:
>
> > Now if somebody here could just point me to a decent reference on A/UX -
> > Apple's mid-80's version of Unix (for the early macintosh, I believe...)
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=%22%2ba/ux%22
>
> Usually a good idea.
>

> Also, you probably want to look at RFC 2235.
>
> MfG Kai
> -

* Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-25 19:57         ` Erik Mouw
From: Erik Mouw @ 2001-06-25 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Landley; +Cc: linux-kernel, penguicon-comphist

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 10:17:09AM -0400, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Monday 25 June 2001 11:13, you wrote:
> > 1937 claude shannon A Symbolic Analysis of Relay and Switching Circuits,"
> >
> > 1948 claude shannon A mathematical theory of information.
> >
> > without those you're kind in trouble on the computing front...

[snip]

> This was the dude who decided to apply a binary and boolean approach to
> electronic computation, right?  I KNOW I've read some stuff about him... late
> last year?

Yes, but the latter paper was the real milestone. This was the guy who
actually defined what information *is*, and found out the upper limits
of communication rates on a given channel. This was the guy who laid
the fundaments of the information theory. Without information theory no
compression, reliable transmission, reliable storage, crypthography,
etc.

Erik
[who works in an information theory group]

Phone: +31-15-2783635  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email: J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl

* Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-25 19:30   ` Kai Henningsen
From: Kai Henningsen @ 2001-06-25 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: penguicon-comphist

@ 2001-06-25 17:29 Wayne.Brown
From: Wayne.Brown @ 2001-06-25 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: asmith
  Cc: William T Wilson, Rob Landley, Eric W. Biederman, Alan Chandler,
	linux-kernel

Beehive -- there's a name I haven't heard in a long time!  The ones I remember
had dual floppy drives and ran CP/M.  I last saw one in about 1985.

Wayne

asmith@14inverleith.freeserve.co.uk on 06/25/2001 12:11:01 PM

To:   William T Wilson <fluffy@snurgle.org>
cc:   Rob Landley <landley@webofficenow.com>, "Eric W. Biederman"
      <ebiederm@xmission.com>, Alan Chandler <alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk>,
      linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org (bcc: Wayne Brown/Corporate/Altec)

Subject:  Re: Microsoft and Xenix.

@ 2001-06-25 17:14 ` asmith
From: asmith @ 2001-06-25 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wayne.Brown; +Cc: landley, linux-kernel

Hi,

If you're really keen on old mags and manuals I'll go up to attic and look
around.  I know there are old SCO Xenix & TCP/IP, as well as Byte and Dr Dobbs

On Sun, 24 Jun 2001 Wayne.Brown@altec.com wrote:
--

Andrew Smith in Edinburgh

> Sorry, but I'm hanging on to my old computer manuals.  The AIX manuals in
> particular have sentimemtal value for me.
>
> OTOH, I have quite a few old computer magazines (from the 80's) like Byte,
> Infoworld, etc.  I've been intending to get rid of them for some time now, but
> hated just to throw them away.  They're in storage in a neighboring state right
> now, but my wife probably will be driving there in the next couple of weeks to
> pick up a few things.  If you're interested, she could bring back the magazines
> and I can tell you exactly what I have.  You're welcome to them if you want
> them.
>
> Wayne
>

> Rob Landley <landley@webofficenow.com> on 06/24/2001 09:32:43 AM
>
> Please respond to landley@webofficenow.com
>
> To:   Wayne Brown/Corporate/Altec@Altec, John Adams <johna@onevista.com>
> cc:   linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
>
> Subject:  Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
>

> On Saturday 23 June 2001 22:41, Wayne.Brown@altec.com wrote:
> > Ah, yes, the RT/PC.  That brings back some fond memories.  My first
> > exposure to Unix was with AIX on the RT.  I still have some of those
> > weird-sized RT AIX manuals around somewhere...
> >
> > Wayne
>
> Ooh!  Old manuals!
>
> Would you be willing to part with them?
>
> I am collecting old manuals, and old computing magazines.  I even pay for
> postage, with a bit of warning that they're coming...
>
> Rob
>

> -

* Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-25 15:13     ` Joel Jaeggli
From: Joel Jaeggli @ 2001-06-25 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Landley; +Cc: Mike Castle, linux-kernel

@ 2001-06-25 14:54   ` Rob Landley
From: Rob Landley @ 2001-06-25 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: asmith, Wayne.Brown; +Cc: landley, linux-kernel

On Monday 25 June 2001 13:14, asmith@14inverleith.freeserve.co.uk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If you're really keen on old mags and manuals I'll go up to attic and look
> around.  I know there are old SCO Xenix & TCP/IP, as well as Byte and Dr
> Dobbs

Ooh!  Yes!  Very much so.

Thanks,

Rob

The mailing list for this discussion is:

* Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-25 14:17       ` Rob Landley
From: Rob Landley @ 2001-06-25 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Jaeggli; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Monday 25 June 2001 11:13, you wrote:

> 1937 claude shannon A Symbolic Analysis of Relay and Switching Circuits,"
>
> 1948 claude shannon A mathematical theory of information.
>
> without those you're kind in trouble on the computing front...

Yeah, I know I've bumped into that name (and probably taken notes) somewhere.
 Hmmm...  Might be from "Where wizards stay up late", or might have been an
article linked from slashdot...  (I don't THINK it was mentioned in
"Hackers"...  Rodents, where was the reference...  Crystal fire?  That's
mostly hardware.  Accidental Empries?  Doesn't sound right...  Can't have
been "Fire in the valley" because I haven't read that yet, it's still sitting
on the bookshelf.  Not soul of a new machine, that's post-digital Equipment
Corporation...)

I THINK that's in the set of notes that's on the box that's not hooked up
right now...  (Shortage of monitors at home.)

This was the dude who decided to apply a binary and boolean approach to
electronic computation, right?  I KNOW I've read some stuff about him... late
last year?

Now I remember.  Slashdot linked to his obituary:

http://www.bell-labs.com/news/2001/february/26/1.html

Rob

The list for this discussion is:

* Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-25  2:51 Wayne.Brown
From: Wayne.Brown @ 2001-06-25  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: landley; +Cc: linux-kernel

To:   Wayne Brown/Corporate/Altec@Altec, John Adams <johna@onevista.com>

@ 2001-06-24 23:21 ` Rob Landley
From: Rob Landley @ 2001-06-24 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wayne.Brown; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sunday 24 June 2001 22:51, Wayne.Brown@altec.com wrote:
> Sorry, but I'm hanging on to my old computer manuals.  The AIX manuals in
> particular have sentimemtal value for me.

Entirely undersandable.

Would you be willing to xerox any "introduction" or "about" sections?

> OTOH, I have quite a few old computer magazines (from the 80's) like Byte,
> Infoworld, etc.  I've been intending to get rid of them for some time now,
> but hated just to throw them away.  They're in storage in a neighboring
> state right now, but my wife probably will be driving there in the next
> couple of weeks to pick up a few things.  If you're interested, she could
> bring back the magazines and I can tell you exactly what I have.  You're
> welcome to them if you want them.

Sure.  Let me know what you have and I'll tell you what I don't have...

> Wayne

Rob

* Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-24 14:44   ` Rob Landley
From: Rob Landley @ 2001-06-24 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Castle, linux-kernel

On Saturday 23 June 2001 23:07, Mike Castle wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 23, 2001 at 09:41:29PM -0500, Wayne.Brown@altec.com wrote:
> > Ah, yes, the RT/PC.  That brings back some fond memories.  My first
> > exposure to Unix was with AIX on the RT.  I still have some of those
> > weird-sized RT AIX manuals around somewhere...
>
> We always ran AOS on RT's.  Actually, the server was the only RT, the rest
> were some other model that was basically a PS/2 (286) that booted DOS, then
> booted the other same chip that the RT used that was on a daughter card.
>
> AOS was basically IBM's version of BSD.  Academic Operating System.

Now if somebody here could just point me to a decent reference on A/UX -
Apple's mid-80's version of Unix (for the early macintosh, I believe...)

A big thing I'm trying to show in my book is that Unix has been, for almost
thirty years, the standard against which everything else was compared.  Even
when it wasn't what people were directly using it's what the techies were
thinking about when they designed their other stuff.  (That and the Xerox
Parc work...)

Let's see, the real earthquakes in the computing world (off the top of my
head) are:

MIT: project whirlwind (which got computing off of vacuum tubes, spawned DEC,
and Minsky's hacker lab.  Gurus too numerous to mention.)

Bell Labs: (the transistor, and 20 years later Unix.  Gurus ken thompson,
dennis ritchie, the three transistor guys, ).

DARPA: (Arpanet (BBN), funded project MAC at MIT, and Multics which brought
the MIT stuff to bell labs.)

Xerox Parc (WIMP interface, WYSIWYG word processing/printing/desktop
publishing, object oriented programming,

The integrated circuit/microchip (Texas Instruments' manufacturing
innovation, which led to the Intel 4004, which eventually led to the Altair,
which led to the personal computer.  Moore's Law would probably be the theme
here...)

The whole free software thing (Berkeley in the 70's to early 80's, Stallman
and the FSF taking over from there.  And Andrew Tanenbaum's Minix, which
spawned Linux...)

Huh, I'd have to mention IBM (forget the PC, how about the winchester
drive?), and of course the AT&T breakup (a negative earthquake, but big
anyway, sort of leading to the commercialization of the software side of
things, although Gates was trying that already.  AT&T just removed a lot of
the roadblocks by shattering the opposition for a while.)

Alright, I need to sit down and make an outline and a timeline.   I admit
this...  (Collecting the data is the easy part.  ORGANIZING this fermenting
heap of disconnected facts and observations is the hard part...)

> mrc

Rob

* Re: Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-24 14:32 ` Rob Landley
From: Rob Landley @ 2001-06-24 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wayne.Brown, John Adams; +Cc: linux-kernel

@ 2001-06-24  3:07 ` Mike Castle
From: Mike Castle @ 2001-06-24  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Sat, Jun 23, 2001 at 09:41:29PM -0500, Wayne.Brown@altec.com wrote:
> Ah, yes, the RT/PC.  That brings back some fond memories.  My first exposure to
> Unix was with AIX on the RT.  I still have some of those weird-sized RT AIX
> manuals around somewhere...

We always ran AOS on RT's.  Actually, the server was the only RT, the rest
were some other model that was basically a PS/2 (286) that booted DOS, then
booted the other same chip that the RT used that was on a daughter card.

AOS was basically IBM's version of BSD.  Academic Operating System.

mrc
--
     Mike Castle      dalgoda@ix.netcom.com      www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/

* RE: Microsoft and Xenix.
@ 2001-06-24  2:59 Wayne.Brown
From: Wayne.Brown @ 2001-06-24  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Jagdis; +Cc: Alan Chandler, linux-kernel, Rob Landley

I have a complete set of the "XENIX System V" manuals and diskettes (User's
Guide, User's Reference, Runtime Operating System, and Development System) for
the AT&T Personal Computer 6300.  The slipcases have the AT&T "Death Star" logo
on the spines, and the manuals have separate copyrights listed for AT&T (1985),
Microsoft (1983, 1984, 1985), and the Santa Cruz Operation (1984, 1985).  I
never had a 6300, but I did try booting the install diskette once on a Leading
Edge Model D (PC/XT clone) and to my surprise it booted OK.

Wayne

"Mike Jagdis" <mjagdis@kokuacom.com> on 06/23/2001 12:57:37 PM

To:   "Alan Chandler" <alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk>, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
cc:   "Rob Landley" <landley@webofficenow.com> (bcc: Wayne
      Brown/Corporate/Altec)

@ 2001-06-24  2:41 Wayne.Brown
From: Wayne.Brown @ 2001-06-24  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Adams; +Cc: linux-kernel

Ah, yes, the RT/PC.  That brings back some fond memories.  My first exposure to
Unix was with AIX on the RT.  I still have some of those weird-sized RT AIX
manuals around somewhere...

Wayne

John Adams <johna@onevista.com> on 06/23/2001 07:49:42 PM

To:   linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
cc:    (bcc: Wayne Brown/Corporate/Altec)