* Re: Fw: PATCH: creating devices for multiple sound cards
       [not found]   ` <20010802201329.A3034@erasmus.off.net>
@ 2001-08-03 17:11     ` Bill Pringlemeir
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Bill Pringlemeir @ 2001-08-03 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zach Brown; +Cc: Chris Rankin, linux-kernel, nerijus

>>>>> "Zach" == Zach Brown <zab@zabbo.net> writes:
[snip]
 Zach> doing many other things.  Hopefully the kernel side of ALSA
 Zach> will be acceptable for inclusion in 2.5.  At least it has an
 Zach> army of people actively maintaining it.

If ALSA will replace OSS, then does it make it somewhat futile to add
things to the current set of sound drivers?  I was going to look at
the SBLive driver.  I have been side tracked by an xterm bug; it seems
to have bad handling of utmp on Linux.

regards,
Bill Pringlemeir.

* Re: Fw: PATCH: creating devices for multiple sound cards
@ 2001-08-03 17:22       ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2001-08-03 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Pringlemeir; +Cc: Zach Brown, Chris Rankin, linux-kernel, nerijus

> If ALSA will replace OSS, then does it make it somewhat futile to add
> things to the current set of sound drivers?  I was going to look at
> the SBLive driver.  I have been side tracked by an xterm bug; it seems
> to have bad handling of utmp on Linux.

Most folks I know are using utmpter for that - it avoids xterm being setuid
setgid or anything else that you really dont want to make it.

As to the sblive - well its probably 2 years away from 2.6 and much of the
work is being shared - the same bugs turn up in both ALSA and OSS quite
often and several OSS drivers are based off ALSA ones

* utempter [was: Fw: PATCH: creating devices for multiple sound cards]
@ 2001-08-03 17:36         ` Bill Pringlemeir
From: Bill Pringlemeir @ 2001-08-03 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

 Alan> Most folks I know are using utmpter for that - it avoids xterm

That is `utempter' for those who didn't know like me.

regards,
Bill

* Re: Fw: PATCH: creating devices for multiple sound cards
@ 2001-08-03 17:40       ` Chris Rankin
From: Chris Rankin @ 2001-08-03 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Pringlemeir, Zach Brown; +Cc: Chris Rankin, linux-kernel, nerijus

ALSA won't replace OSS overnight, and so a small
amount of OSS-maintenance can't possibly hurt. For
example, I use the OSS version of the emu10k1 driver
for DVD sound because the OSS one is realtime-capable
(and so provides better synchronisation) but the ALSA
one isn't yet.

Besides, the API I've tried to fix is actually *used*
by ALSA to provide OSS-emulation devices, except that
it doesn't work on a devfs-based machine with multiple
sound cards because all the device names clash.

Cheers,
Chris

--- Bill Pringlemeir <bpringle@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> [snip]
>  Zach> doing many other things.  Hopefully the
> kernel side of ALSA
>  Zach> will be acceptable for inclusion in 2.5.  At
> least it has an
>  Zach> army of people actively maintaining it.
>
> If ALSA will replace OSS, then does it make it
> somewhat futile to add
> things to the current set of sound drivers?  I was
> going to look at
> the SBLive driver.  I have been side tracked by an
> xterm bug; it seems
> to have bad handling of utmp on Linux.
>
> regards,
> Bill Pringlemeir.

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

* Re: Fw: PATCH: creating devices for multiple sound cards
@ 2001-08-03 20:25       ` Zach Brown
From: Zach Brown @ 2001-08-03 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Pringlemeir; +Cc: Chris Rankin, linux-kernel, nerijus

> If ALSA will replace OSS, then does it make it somewhat futile to add
> things to the current set of sound drivers?

Not at all.  As Alan said, its going to be quite a while before people
are seriously using 2.[56].  Until then its OSS for the majority of
users.

- z