* modular kernel
@ 2000-11-04 14:38 Taco Witte
From: Taco Witte @ 2000-11-04 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello

Some days ago, I read about the idea of a completely modular kernel.
I think it's a very good idea, because it would make it easier to get more
people work at the same moment, development would go faster. It would
be possible to make groups for a certain part of the kernel (for example
sound, or filesystems, or main) with own group pages with status info and
todo's and own mailinglists (it would divide this enourmous flow of mail
into smaller parts). It would decrease the download size. I believe it would
make bug tracking easier as well. I'm sure I forgot to mention something..

Regards,
Taco Witte

-

* Re: modular kernel
@ 2000-11-04 20:19   ` Doug McNaught
From: Doug McNaught @ 2000-11-04 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

FORT David <epopo@onetelnet.fr> writes:

> Taco Witte wrote:

> > I think it's a very good idea, because it would make it easier to
> > get more people work at the same moment, development would go
> > faster. It would be possible to make groups for a certain part of
> > the kernel (for example sound, or filesystems, or main) with own
> > group pages with status info and todo's and own mailinglists (it
> > would divide this enourmous flow of mail into smaller parts). It
> > would decrease the download size. I believe it would make bug
> > tracking easier as well. I'm sure I forgot to mention something..

> Looks like the beginning of a new flame war.

s/a new/an old and well-trodden/

HTH.

-Doug
-

* Re: modular kernel
@ 2000-11-04 20:26 ` Peter Samuelson
From: Peter Samuelson @ 2000-11-04 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Taco Witte; +Cc: linux-kernel

[yes I feed trolls sometimes, it's fun]

[Taco Witte]
> Some days ago, I read about the idea of a completely modular kernel.
> I think it's a very good idea, because it would make it easier to get
> more people work at the same moment, development would go faster.

I contend that the barrier to entry is already quite low, as proven by
the fact that *I* contribute to kernel development, albeit rather
little.  What evidence do you have to the contrary?

> It would be possible to make groups for a certain part of the kernel
> (for example sound, or filesystems, or main) with own group pages
> with status info and todo's and own mailinglists (it would divide
> this enourmous flow of mail into smaller parts).

Run the following command in the Linux source directory:

  grep '^[LW]:' MAINTAINERS | sort -u | more

Then come back with your hot new ideas about having different mailing
lists and web pages for each subsystem.

Peter
-

* Re: modular kernel
@ 2000-11-04 21:09 ` FORT David
From: FORT David @ 2000-11-04 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: linux-kernel

--
%-------------------------------------------------------------------------%
% FORT David,                                                             %

-

* Re: modular kernel
@ 2000-11-06 12:21   ` Horst von Brand
From: Horst von Brand @ 2000-11-06 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: FORT David; +Cc: linux-kernel

FORT David <epopo@onetelnet.fr> said:
> Taco Witte wrote:

> > Some days ago, I read about the idea of a completely modular kernel.

[...]

> Looks like the beginning of a new flame war.

Yep. About a very old bone, to boot.

Please go *read* what was said on the list before and refrain from posting
on the subject.
--
Dr. Horst H. von Brand                       mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl
-