* Oops every write with ext3 + sync + data=journal
@ 2003-04-05  7:35 Sean Hunter
From: Sean Hunter @ 2003-04-05  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi there

I got the 2.5 series functional here for the first time by changing the
mount options on one of my filesystems.  It would crash everytime syslog
tried to write to /var, which was mounted
rw,sync,data=journal,nosuid,nodev

I changed it to rw,nosuid,nodev and the box is now happy.  I'll change
it back sometime to capture the oops if someone cares.

Sean

* Re: Oops every write with ext3 + sync + data=journal
@ 2003-04-05 11:00 ` Alex Tomas
From: Alex Tomas @ 2003-04-05 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Hunter; +Cc: linux-kernel

 SH> Hi there
 SH> I got the 2.5 series functional here for the first time by changing the
 SH> mount options on one of my filesystems.  It would crash everytime syslog
 SH> tried to write to /var, which was mounted
 SH> rw,sync,data=journal,nosuid,nodev

 SH> I changed it to rw,nosuid,nodev and the box is now happy.  I'll change
 SH> it back sometime to capture the oops if someone cares.

show the oops message, please

* Re: Oops every write with ext3 + sync + data=journal
@ 2003-04-05 21:06   ` Sean Hunter
From: Sean Hunter @ 2003-04-05 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Tomas; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 03:00:35PM +0400, Alex Tomas wrote:

>  SH> Hi there
>  SH> I got the 2.5 series functional here for the first time by changing the
>  SH> mount options on one of my filesystems.  It would crash everytime syslog
>  SH> tried to write to /var, which was mounted
>  SH> rw,sync,data=journal,nosuid,nodev
>
>  SH> I changed it to rw,nosuid,nodev and the box is now happy.  I'll change
>  SH> it back sometime to capture the oops if someone cares.
>
> show the oops message, please

I'll try to get it for you but the machine in question is very busy for
the rest of the weekend and is a mail and dns sever normally so any
outage is not that good.  I had a small window this morning and last
night to get it working.

@ 2003-04-05 13:18 ` Sean Hunter
From: Sean Hunter @ 2003-04-05 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chuck Ebbert; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 05:24:40AM -0500, Chuck Ebbert wrote:
> Sean Hunter <sean@uncarved.com> wrote:
>

> >rw,sync,data=journal,nosuid,nodev
>

> Is there any good reason for using sync and data=journal together?

As I understood it (perhaps incorrectly) if you were mounting a drivE
"sync" data=journal was the way to go.

Perhaps that's wrong.

Sean

* Oops every write with ext3 + sync + data=journal
@ 2003-04-05 10:24 Chuck Ebbert
From: Chuck Ebbert @ 2003-04-05 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

--