* Re: sched: SCHED_DEADLINE v6
       [not found]     ` <5098204D.3080002@onlinehome.de>
@ 2012-11-05 20:34       ` Ove Karlsen
From: Ove Karlsen @ 2012-11-05 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 21:23:41 +0100, Martin <marogge@onlinehome.de> wrote:

> On 11/04/2012 09:00 PM, Uwaysi Bin Kareem wrote:
>> Nobody knows? This is really obscure for an EDF patch. Making things a
>> bit more accessible should be a priority. I think a lot of enthusiasts
>> would like to have smooth control over stuff, without windows-jitter. If
>> you can do a robot arm, jitter-free with this, then I am very
>> interested.
>>
>> uwaysi@Millennium:~/Kildekode/sched_deadline-schedtool-dl$ ./schedtool
>> -E
>> -t 500:1000 3718
>> ERROR: could not set PID 3718 to E: SCHED_DEADLINE - Function not
>> implemented
>> uwaysi@Millennium:~/Kildekode/sched_deadline-schedtool-dl$
>>
>> On Sun, 04 Nov 2012 20:02:25 +0100, Uwaysi Bin Kareem
>> <uwaysi.bin.kareem@paradoxuncreated.com> wrote:
>>
>>> How does the modified schedtool work? There is no updated
>>> documentation.
>>>
>>> http://gitorious.org/sched_deadline/schedtool-dl/commits/latest/2.6.36-dl-V3
>>>

>>> If anyone could give an example of a 1000uS period / 500uS time, with
>>> schedtool, or any other relevant information.
>>> Most examples online use parameters that are no longer supported.
>>>
>>> Peace Be With You.
>> --
>> in
>> Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/
>
> Hi,
>
> I assume the reason nobody answers is that the cpu scheduler is an
> emotional subject.
>
> However, if you really want a smooth desktop and a deadline scheduler
> (albeit it might not be as configurable as you seem to want it to be),
> try BFS or the whole CK patch.
>
> http://ck-hack.blogspot.com/
>
> I have implemented it on a laptop this weekend, and I was surprised by
> the change in user experience yet again. Mostly during 3D game play.
> Generally the difference is felt more strongly on low end machines and
> taxing workloads.
>
> Since you are talking about robot arms: note that BFS is not a real time
> solution, but is designed around the physiological conditions of the
> human perception system (where, I believe, 6 ms is equivalent to real
> time). Maybe a similar deadline approach is useful for robot arms, no
> idea.
>
> cu Martin

If you ever saw a robot-arm jitter, you`d think of it as faulty. And that
is how people should think of their PC aswell.

Just the interrupts, preemption (points), daemons, hopefully cleverly
arranged, to reduce jitter, is what I want.
I did already try BFS. PS: 90hz timer, is very good with BFS also, but the
jitter-extremes are higher. Meaning large jitters last longer, while small
jitters, seems smaller. For overall computing CFS actually has less jitter.

What would be really interesting would be to try a scheduler that tries to
bound latencies, and have accurate timing.

There seems to be generally 3 different profiles people tuned for: Server,
Mobile, Desktop.
Server guiless stationary, Mobile for minimal power desktop, Desktop, for
workstation/home low-jitter high-performance.

Maybe these profiles even can be combined a bit, having several hz
counters, and several scheduling policies.

Peace Be With You.

* Re: sched: SCHED_DEADLINE v6
@ 2012-11-04 19:30   ` Uwaysi Bin Kareem
From: Uwaysi Bin Kareem @ 2012-11-04 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: juri.lelli, linux-kernel

Nobody knows? This is really obscure for an EDF patch. Making things a bit
more accessible should be a priority. I think a lot of enthusiasts would
like to have smooth control over stuff, without windows-jitter. If you can
do a robot arm, jitter-free with this, then I am very interested.

uwaysi@Millennium:~/Kildekode/sched_deadline-schedtool-dl$ ./schedtool -E
-t 500:1000 3718
ERROR: could not set PID 3718 to E: SCHED_DEADLINE - Function not
implemented
uwaysi@Millennium:~/Kildekode/sched_deadline-schedtool-dl$

On Sun, 04 Nov 2012 20:02:25 +0100, Uwaysi Bin Kareem
<uwaysi.bin.kareem@paradoxuncreated.com> wrote:

> How does the modified schedtool work? There is no updated documentation.
>
> http://gitorious.org/sched_deadline/schedtool-dl/commits/latest/2.6.36-dl-V3
>
> If anyone could give an example of a 1000uS period / 500uS time, with
> schedtool, or any other relevant information.
> Most examples online use parameters that are no longer supported.
>
> Peace Be With You.

* Re: sched: SCHED_DEADLINE v6
@ 2012-11-04 19:13   ` Uwaysi Bin Kareem
From: Uwaysi Bin Kareem @ 2012-11-04 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: juri.lelli, linux-kernel

uwaysi@Millennium:~/Kildekode/sched_deadline-schedtool-dl$ ./schedtool -E
-t 500:1000 3718
ERROR: could not set PID 3718 to E: SCHED_DEADLINE - Function not
implemented
uwaysi@Millennium:~/Kildekode/sched_deadline-schedtool-dl$

On Sun, 04 Nov 2012 20:02:25 +0100, Uwaysi Bin Kareem
<uwaysi.bin.kareem@paradoxuncreated.com> wrote:

> How does the modified schedtool work? There is no updated documentation.
>
> http://gitorious.org/sched_deadline/schedtool-dl/commits/latest/2.6.36-dl-V3
>
> If anyone could give an example of a 1000uS period / 500uS time, with
> schedtool, or any other relevant information.
> Most examples online use parameters that are no longer supported.
>
> Peace Be With You.

* Re: sched: SCHED_DEADLINE v6
@ 2012-11-04 19:02 ` Uwaysi Bin Kareem
From: Uwaysi Bin Kareem @ 2012-11-04 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: juri.lelli, linux-kernel

@ 2012-11-04 18:00 ` Uwaysi Bin Kareem
From: Uwaysi Bin Kareem @ 2012-11-04 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: juri.lelli, linux-kernel

Actually, I just got the Ericsson branch to compile.

Peace Be With You.

* re: sched: SCHED_DEADLINE v6
@ 2012-11-04 16:32 Uwaysi Bin Kareem
From: Uwaysi Bin Kareem @ 2012-11-04 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: juri.lelli, linux-kernel

Hi. I am trying the Sched_deadline patch.

I am getting an error compiling:

kernel/sched/dl.c: In function ‘dl_runtime_exceeded’:
kernel/sched/dl.c:551:7: warning: unused variable ‘damount’
[-Wunused-variable]
kernel/sched/dl.c:558:7: warning: unused variable ‘ramount’
[-Wunused-variable]
kernel/sched/dl.c: In function ‘init_sched_dl_class’:
kernel/sched/dl.c:1521:6: error: ‘GFP_KERNEL’ undeclared (first use in
this function)
kernel/sched/dl.c:1521:6: note: each undeclared identifier is reported
only once for each function it appears in
kernel/sched/dl.c: At top level:
kernel/sched/dl.c:965:13: warning: ‘start_hrtick_dl’ defined but not used
[-Wunused-function]
make[2]: *** [kernel/sched/dl.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [kernel/sched] Error 2
make: *** [kernel] Error 2
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

Peace Be With You.