* 2.6 and route nat. Who know what is going on?
@ 2004-11-19 14:20 Peter Volkov Alexandrovich
From: Peter Volkov Alexandrovich @ 2004-11-19 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello.

The problem I have is route nat.

Short question: Must "route nat", mentioned in ip-cref documentation coming
with iproute2 package, work with 2.6.9 kernel?

Long question and description of the problem:
There is an appendix C in ip-cref by Alexey Kuznetsov called "Route NAT
Status". I've followed this configuration with 2.4.2x kernel and everything
works. But now I'm forced to move to 2.6.9 kernel due to new SATA controller
in my server. And problem is that it is not working. When I issue:

# ip route nat <inet_ip_address> via <local_ip_address>

I the answer is: RTNETLINK answers: invalid argument

So seems like some option is not enabled in my kernel. Well actually I have
all options and suboptions enabled in my kernel configuration under "TCP/IP
networking" -> "IP: advanced router".

I've tried 2.6.8.1 kernel. And found out that there exist option "IP: fast
network address translation" under "IP: advanced router" that is absent in
2.6.9. When I enable this option the kernel seems to accept my command. My
router starts to answer arp requests for <inet_ip_addres>, as it should. But
no route DNAT seems to occur. If I add some LOG rule to FORWARD iptables chain
I can see packets to <inet_ip_address> being forwarded but not DNATed as it
should.

Who supports this route nat code in the kernel? Are they going to support this
cool feature or it's deprecated and I should look for other solution? How
can this be done???

I've tried to google and I've even tried to find an answer in sources, but
with no success also. I've asked about this about in LARTC mailing list, where
Anwara suggested me to ask for help on this list.

If this is the wrong place to ask my question or anybody knows the right place
for this question, please tell me.

Thank you very much in advance,
--

______________________________________

Volkov Peter, <pvolkov@mics.msu.su>
Moscow State University, Phys. Dep.
______________________________________

NO ePATENTS, eSIGN now on:
http://petition.eurolinux.org
and maybe this helps...

Linux 2.4.26-gentoo-r9 i686
Mobile Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1.60GHz

* Re: 2.6 and route nat. Who know what is going on?
@ 2004-11-19 16:31 ` Sergey Vlasov
From: Sergey Vlasov @ 2004-11-19 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:20:13 +0300, Peter Volkov Alexandrovich wrote:

> Short question: Must "route nat", mentioned in ip-cref documentation coming
> with iproute2 package, work with 2.6.9 kernel?

Support for CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_NAT was removed from the kernel - it has been
broken by some networking changes, and nobody bothered to fix it.

See this thread in linux-netdev:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-netdev&m=109582576330019&w=2

You can use netfilter (iptables etc.) for NAT and more, but probably it
will consume more resources than the old "route nat" code.

* Re: 2.6 and route nat. Now I know. It's dead.
@ 2004-11-20  6:17   ` Peter Volkov Alexandrovich
From: Peter Volkov Alexandrovich @ 2004-11-20  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Friday 19 November 2004 19:31, Sergey Vlasov wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:20:13 +0300, Peter Volkov Alexandrovich wrote:
> > Short question: Must "route nat", mentioned in ip-cref documentation
> > coming with iproute2 package, work with 2.6.9 kernel?
>
> Support for CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_NAT was removed from the kernel - it has been
> broken by some networking changes, and nobody bothered to fix it.
>
> See this thread in linux-netdev:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-netdev&m=109582576330019&w=2
>
> You can use netfilter (iptables etc.) for NAT and more, but probably it
> will consume more resources than the old "route nat" code.

Thank you for your answer. It's really pity. It's very bad.

--