* intel8x0 sound of silence on dell system
@ 2005-11-18 16:23 Benjamin LaHaise
From: Benjamin LaHaise @ 2005-11-18 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello all,

On trying out head on my workstation, it seems that no sound comes out.
The module is getting loaded and the interrupts line for the 'Intel ICH5'
is increasing.  The RHEL 4 kernel is known to work on this machine.  The
only output from the driver is below.  Any ideas?

		-ben

intel8x0_measure_ac97_clock: measured 51314 usecs
intel8x0: clocking to 48000
--
"Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once." -- John Wheeler
Don't Email: <dont@kvack.org>.

* Re: intel8x0 sound of silence on dell system
@ 2005-11-18 17:59 ` Bharath Ramesh
From: Bharath Ramesh @ 2005-11-18 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin LaHaise; +Cc: linux-kernel

Probably the sound car is muted. you might want to try out the
alsamixer to unmute the card.

@ 2005-11-18 18:04   ` Benjamin LaHaise
From: Benjamin LaHaise @ 2005-11-18 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bharath Ramesh; +Cc: linux-kernel

No, like I said, booting the RHEL4 kernel works like a charm.  alsamixer
does not show it being muted.

		-ben

@ 2005-11-18 18:11     ` John Jasen
From: John Jasen @ 2005-11-18 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin LaHaise; +Cc: Bharath Ramesh, linux-kernel

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005, Benjamin LaHaise wrote:

> No, like I said, booting the RHEL4 kernel works like a charm.  alsamixer
> does not show it being muted.

Sometimes, mine would get in the same state, but on a laptop.

You can try adding buggy_irq=1, buggy_semaphore=1 or both to your
modprobe.conf file, and see if any of those help. It did in my case.

--
-- John E. Jasen (jjasen@realityfailure.org)
-- No one will sorrow for me when I die, because those who would

* Re: intel8x0 sound of silence on dell system
@ 2005-11-18 18:19       ` Benjamin LaHaise
From: Benjamin LaHaise @ 2005-11-18 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Jasen; +Cc: Bharath Ramesh, linux-kernel

On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 01:11:52PM -0500, John Jasen wrote:
> You can try adding buggy_irq=1, buggy_semaphore=1 or both to your
> modprobe.conf file, and see if any of those help. It did in my case.

Doesn't seem to have an effect here.

		-ben
--

@ 2005-11-18 20:29   ` Benjamin LaHaise
From: Benjamin LaHaise @ 2005-11-18 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bharath Ramesh; +Cc: linux-kernel

Sorry, but it isn't muted.  I'm not a newbie. ;-)

@ 2005-11-18 21:51 ` Lee Revell
From: Lee Revell @ 2005-11-18 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin LaHaise; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 11:23 -0500, Benjamin LaHaise wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> On trying out head on my workstation, it seems that no sound comes out.
> The module is getting loaded and the interrupts line for the 'Intel ICH5'
> is increasing.  The RHEL 4 kernel is known to work on this machine.  The
> only output from the driver is below.  Any ideas?
>
> 		-ben
>
> intel8x0_measure_ac97_clock: measured 51314 usecs
> intel8x0: clocking to 48000

What do you mean "head"?  Kernel version please.

ALSA bug reports should go to alsa-user@lists.sourceforge.net or
(ideally) in the ALSA bug tracker,
https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/main_page.php

Lee

* Re: intel8x0 sound of silence on dell system
@ 2005-11-20  3:00         ` John Jasen
From: John Jasen @ 2005-11-20  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin LaHaise; +Cc: Bharath Ramesh, linux-kernel

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005, Benjamin LaHaise wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 01:11:52PM -0500, John Jasen wrote:
>> You can try adding buggy_irq=1, buggy_semaphore=1 or both to your
>> modprobe.conf file, and see if any of those help. It did in my case.
>
> Doesn't seem to have an effect here.

any dmesg or /var/log/messages output?

lspci output of the card?

entry from modprobe.conf?

--

@ 2005-11-21 11:03   ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2005-11-21 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lee Revell; +Cc: Benjamin LaHaise, linux-kernel

At Fri, 18 Nov 2005 16:51:50 -0500,
Lee Revell wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 11:23 -0500, Benjamin LaHaise wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > On trying out head on my workstation, it seems that no sound comes out.
> > The module is getting loaded and the interrupts line for the 'Intel ICH5'
> > is increasing.  The RHEL 4 kernel is known to work on this machine.  The
> > only output from the driver is below.  Any ideas?
> >
> > 		-ben
> >
> > intel8x0_measure_ac97_clock: measured 51314 usecs
> > intel8x0: clocking to 48000
>
> What do you mean "head"?  Kernel version please.
>
> ALSA bug reports should go to alsa-user@lists.sourceforge.net or
> (ideally) in the ALSA bug tracker,
> https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/main_page.php

What ALSA version is used on RHEL4 kernel?

Also, please add the contents of
/proc/asound/card0/codec97#0/* files, and the saved file after running
	alsactl -f somefile store
in your bugreport.

thanks,

Takashi