* GPL violation by iRiver
@ 2004-11-30 20:20 Marcus Metzler
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Marcus Metzler @ 2004-11-30 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

I recently bought an iRiver PMP-140 portable multimedia player which
runs under Linux. Unfortunately, I could neither find the offer for
the source code required by the GPL nor would the support people at
iriver USA tell me where I can get the source code. They just said
that it is not possible to get the sources. I also emailed to iRiver
Germany but haven`t received an answer yet.
Has anybody else tried to contact them? If you are interested, there
is a new firmware available here:
http://service.iriver.co.kr/cs_view.asp?idx=409&page=0&p_name=PMP-140&SrchItem=&SrchString=&SrchProduct=
(klick on PMP100kor-v201.zip).

Using string on the unzipped files shows that at least the Linux
kernel and busybox are used in the firmware.

I tried to send this email to legal@lists.gpl-vioaltions.org but it came
back with a no route to host error which I also get for the website
now, although I could load it just a half an hour ago.

What should be the next step?

Marcus

| mocm@metzlerbros.de            | http://www.metzlerbros.de/        |
 |>>>             Quis custodiet ipsos custodies                 <<<|

* Re: GPL violation by iRiver
@ 2004-11-30 20:40 ` Jan Engelhardt
From: Jan Engelhardt @ 2004-11-30 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcus Metzler; +Cc: linux-kernel

>I tried to send this email to legal@lists.gpl-vioaltions.org but it came
>What should be the next step?

Sending it to legal@lists.gpl-vioLAtions.org -- check your spelling :)

Jan Engelhardt
--
ENOSPC

* Re: GPL violation by iRiver
@ 2004-11-30 20:42 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2004-11-30 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Maw, 2004-11-30 at 20:20, Marcus Metzler wrote:
> Has anybody else tried to contact them? If you are interested, there

No but I've received various bits of their publicity and other stuff
which clearly states they are Linux based. They've certainly not tried
to hide the fact so that is promising.

In fact its archived at:

http://www.iriver.com/html/company/press/copr_pr_view.asp?searchField=&searchString=&page=1&idx=51&tmpSearchField=all&tmpSearchString=

* Re: GPL violation by iRiver
@ 2004-11-30 20:48   ` Marcus Metzler
From: Marcus Metzler @ 2004-11-30 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

    >> I tried to send this email to legal@lists.gpl-vioaltions.org
    >> but it came ...  What should be the next step?

    Jan> Sending it to legal@lists.gpl-vioLAtions.org -- check your
    Jan> spelling :)

The spelling in the email to the list was correct. I got it from the website.
Just in this one it wasn't.

@ 2004-11-30 22:12   ` Marcus Metzler
From: Marcus Metzler @ 2004-11-30 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Alan> On Maw, 2004-11-30 at 20:20, Marcus Metzler wrote:
    >> Has anybody else tried to contact them? If you are interested,
    >> there

    Alan> No but I've received various bits of their publicity and
    Alan> other stuff which clearly states they are Linux
    Alan> based. They've certainly not tried to hide the fact so that
    Alan> is promising.

I hope so. I was just a little surprised when their reply was so
clearly no, without even reacting to my questions about the GPL.
Maybe the support people have no idea, but who else should I contact.

    Alan> In fact its archived at:

    Alan> http://www.iriver.com/html/company/press/copr_pr_view.asp?searchField=&searchString=&page=1&idx=51&tmpSearchField=all&tmpSearchString=

I know and it never looked like they tried to hide the fact they were
using linux. But I have bought other hardware that uses linux based
firmware and they always mentioned it in there manuals even if they
neglected to offer the sources at first.
There is no mention about the GPL or Linux on their copyrights pages
or anywhere else in the manual. You can find it online on their website:
http://www.iriveramerica.com/support/pmp100.aspx

@ 2004-12-01  7:23 ` Wilmer van der Gaast
From: Wilmer van der Gaast @ 2004-12-01  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Marcus Metzler@hensema.lkml@Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:20:00 +0100:
>  I also emailed to iRiver Germany but haven`t received an answer yet.

AFAIK iRiver is a Korean company (sometiems new versions of the
firmwares are also available for download there weeks before they're on
the international site), so maybe you should try to contact them there.

--
| lintux : :'  :  lintux.cx |  |       Today's random quote:       |