* Sis900 ethernet dropping 70% packets
@ 2003-12-14 23:55 Andrew Walrond
From: Andrew Walrond @ 2003-12-14 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I'm trying to install a little Via C3 machine with on-board Sis900 ethernet.
As usual, I booted my LNX-BBC rescue disk, configured eth0 and tried to scp
my distro over, but failed miserably.

Pinging other hosts on the net sees 70-80% packets getting lost.

LNX-BBC rescue cd uses a 2.4.19 kernel

So then I tried a Trinity rescue disk, using a 2.4.21 kernel. Same thing.

Anybody got experience of this? Googling gives wads of people with similar
sounding problems, mostly interrupt related, sometimes Vlan related (It's
plugged into a Cisco catalyst but I tried a x-over cable to my laptop with
the same result, so I don't think thats relevant), but don't see any
solutions.

Is this a known-bad interface? The drivers sources don't seem to have been
touched for a long time which makes me think its unlikely that a newer kernel
would help, but who knows...

Any suggestions apprieciated

Andrew Walrond

* Re: Sis900 ethernet dropping 70% packets
@ 2003-12-15  0:54 ` Måns Rullgård
From: Måns Rullgård @ 2003-12-15  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Andrew Walrond <andrew@walrond.org> writes:

> I'm trying to install a little Via C3 machine with on-board Sis900 ethernet.
> As usual, I booted my LNX-BBC rescue disk, configured eth0 and tried to scp
> my distro over, but failed miserably.
>
> Pinging other hosts on the net sees 70-80% packets getting lost.
>
> LNX-BBC rescue cd uses a 2.4.19 kernel
>
> So then I tried a Trinity rescue disk, using a 2.4.21 kernel. Same thing.
>
> Anybody got experience of this? Googling gives wads of people with similar
> sounding problems, mostly interrupt related, sometimes Vlan related (It's
> plugged into a Cisco catalyst but I tried a x-over cable to my laptop with
> the same result, so I don't think thats relevant), but don't see any
> solutions.
>
> Is this a known-bad interface? The drivers sources don't seem to
> have been touched for a long time which makes me think its unlikely
> that a newer kernel would help, but who knows...

I can only say that my laptop has a sis900, and I've never had any
problems with it.  I'd look for errors elsewhere.  Maybe it's ACPI
related.  ACPI seems to be able to screw up anything.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@kth.se

* Re: Sis900 ethernet dropping 70% packets
       [not found] <BF1FE1855350A0479097B3A0D2A80EE001B57264@hdsmsx402.hd.intel.com>
@ 2003-12-17  6:41 ` Len Brown
From: Len Brown @ 2003-12-17  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Måns Rullgård; +Cc: linux-kernel

> I can only say that my laptop has a sis900, and I've never had any
> problems with it.  I'd look for errors elsewhere.  Maybe it's ACPI
> related.  ACPI seems to be able to screw up anything.

If it fails with ACPI enabled, but works with "acpi=off", then please
send me the details, including the /proc/interrupts for each case.

thanks,
-Len