lttng-dev.lists.lttng.org archive mirror
* Re: tracepoint_enabled returns true for disabled provider, event
       [not found] <CACU0Kcsfzct94bxY06DoQ4x=H+fuKN5JGi6og94YYptOCmz5FQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2019-09-16 20:48 ` Jonathan Rajotte-Julien
From: Jonathan Rajotte-Julien @ 2019-09-16 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anders Johansson; +Cc: lttng-dev

Hi,

In the end this was a problem involving automatic session creation
(configuration) behind the back of Anders.

A "lttng list" helped figure out the problem.

lttng behave as expected.

Cheers

On Sat, Sep 07, 2019 at 02:42:22PM +0200, Anders Johansson wrote:
> Hi
>
> I troubleshooting a huge application where i experience the problem that
> even if tracepoint_enabled is used i get the huge overhead of formatting
> the output even if then the message is not sent to the lttng buffers.
>
> The tracepoint loglevel is set to TRACE_INFO using the TRACEPOINT_LOGLEVEL
> macro. I managed to rebuild the application setting the level to
> TRACE_DEBUG instead and then i could print continuously that the
> tracepoint_enabled returned false. If i flip it back to TRACE_INFO
> tracepoint_enabled always returns true, hence do lots of string building
> but then no trace is actually sent off to lttng (which is correct since i
> haven't enabled the tracepoint). Even if i explicitly do disable event on
> the provider and tracepoint the TRACE_INFO tracepoints returns true in
> tracepoint_enabled
>
> Is this by design that tracepoint_enabled always returns true for
> TRACE_INFO and lower values or is this configurable in any way?
>
> I am using this inside a docker image running Wind River Linux
> bash-4.3# lttng --version
> lttng (LTTng Trace Control) 2.10.6 - KeKriek - v2.10.6-11-g8fcbf96
> bash-4.3#
>
> Any advice are welcome!
> //Anders

Jonathan Rajotte-Julien
EfficiOS

* tracepoint_enabled returns true for disabled provider, event
@ 2019-09-07 12:42 Anders Johansson
From: Anders Johansson @ 2019-09-07 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lttng-dev