lvfs-announce.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
* [Lvfs-announce] Splitting the <name>
@ 2019-04-16 14:29 Richard Hughes
From: Richard Hughes @ 2019-04-16 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lvfs-announce

Hi all,

I've been looking at the firmware displayed on the LVFS from all
vendors, and there seems to be some confusion about how to "encode"
multiple supported systems for the same component, e.g. where there
are two SKUs that have the same ESRT GUID because they share the same
system board. Until we come up with a better solution, please use the
following scheme:

<name>Range Model1/Range Model2</name>

So for instance, you SHOULD do this:

<name>ThinkPad T580/ThinkPad P52s</name>

and NOT do any of these:

<name>ThinkPad T580/P52s</name>
<name>FC30,NES30</name>
<name>ColorHug2 &amp; ColorHug2.1</name>

Using the forward slash in a consistent way means we can migrate
existing firmware to a new database schema without breaking anything.
Don't worry about existing firmware on the LVFS, nothing will break
and there are no additional warnings or problems generated. This is
more of a best-practice consistency thing rather than a new
requirement.

Richard.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2019-04-16 14:29 UTC | newest]