netdev.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Bug in IPv4 version of ping...
@ 2014-02-03 10:31 Vic
From: Vic @ 2014-02-03 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev

Hi All.

I hope this is the right place to post this - this list is mentioned as
the mailing list for iputils.

I believe I've found a bug in ping.c - there is an ancient work-around for
an IP_RECVERR bug in raw sockets. The problem is as follows :-

ping_common.c defines a variable working_recverr
ping.c uses this variable to work out what it should do under certain
failure circumstances.

As far as I can see, working_recverr is undefined when first used; the
initial response to it could be either way. This leads to an erroneous
report that the kernel is "not very fresh", and needs to be upgraded.

I have seen this in the current builds for RHEL5 and 6 (s20071127) and in
the current release (s20121221).

I suspect this variable should be set somewhere after option parsing...

HTH

Vic.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2014-02-03 11:31 UTC | newest]