netdev.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Re: [question] About triggering a region snapshot through the devlink cmd
@ 2020-01-07 17:33 Keller, Jacob E
       [not found] ` <HE1PR0502MB3771BD83B728249E6C21967AC33E0@HE1PR0502MB3771.eurprd05.prod.outlook.com>
From: Keller, Jacob E @ 2020-01-07 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jiri; +Cc: davem, jiri, linuxarm, linyunsheng, netdev, valex

On 2019/9/27 16:13, Jiri Pirko wrote:
> Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 09:40:47AM CEST, linyunsheng@huawei.com wrote:
>> Hi, Jiri & Alex
>>
>>    It seems that a region' snapshot is only created through the
>> driver when some error is detected, for example:
>> mlx4_crdump_collect_fw_health() -> devlink_region_snapshot_create()
>>
>>    We want to trigger a region' snapshot creation through devlink
>> cmd, maybe by adding the "devlink region triger", because we want
>> to check some hardware register/state when the driver or the hardware
>> does not detect the error sometimes.
>>
>> Does about "devlink region triger" make sense?
>>
>> If yes, is there plan to implement it? or any suggestion to implement
>> it?
>
> Actually, the plan is co convert mlx4 to "devlink health" api. Mlx5
> already uses that.
>
> You should look into "devlink health".

Hi Jiri,

I agree, the mlx4 firmware dump stuff should use the devlink health API, as it's for error conditions.

I've recently been investigating using devlink regions to expose non-error regions where it really does make sense to "trigger" a snapshot.

The original region commit message indicates that there were plans to support requesting snapshots, and even potentially writing to the region directly.

I wanted to use a region to expose some set of flash/NVM contents. Being able to request a snapshot is essential in this case. I saw that netdevsim does this through a debugfs hook, but that really doesn't make sense to me for a production driver.

It makes sense to me to be able to trigger a region snapshot directly through devlink. Should I spin up some patches to implement it?

Thanks,
Jake