netdev.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Question about IPv6 neighbor discovery and 6lowpan
@ 2013-11-21 15:02 Jukka Rissanen
From: Jukka Rissanen @ 2013-11-21 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Miller; +Cc: netdev

Hi,

I am investigating RFC 6775 (Neighbor Discovery Optimization for IPv6
over Low-Power Wireless Personal Area Networks (6LoWPANs))
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6775

The RFC suggests some changes to neighbor discovery procedure for the
6LoWPAN networks. I was looking net/ipv6/ndisc.c and it seems that
ARPHRD type (from type field in net_device struct) is the only way to
detect and change the discovery procedure in the ndisc.c code. Am I
right with this assumption here?

Cheers,
Jukka

* Re: Question about IPv6 neighbor discovery and 6lowpan
@ 2013-11-21 15:34 ` Alexander Aring
From: Alexander Aring @ 2013-11-21 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jukka Rissanen; +Cc: David Miller, netdev

Hi Jukka,

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 05:02:58PM +0200, Jukka Rissanen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am investigating RFC 6775 (Neighbor Discovery Optimization for IPv6
> over Low-Power Wireless Personal Area Networks (6LoWPANs))
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6775
>
> The RFC suggests some changes to neighbor discovery procedure for the
> 6LoWPAN networks. I was looking net/ipv6/ndisc.c and it seems that
> ARPHRD type (from type field in net_device struct) is the only way to
> detect and change the discovery procedure in the ndisc.c code. Am I
> right with this assumption here?

I think you are right, there was some patches on linux-zigbee-devel who
use exact the same idea to check the ARPHRD type.

But I am investigating for rfc6775, too. :-)

At the moment I see too many unsolved issues in the ieee802154/6lowpan
implementation which should be fixed at first. :(

- Alex

* Re: Question about IPv6 neighbor discovery and 6lowpan
@ 2013-11-21 15:52   ` Jukka Rissanen
From: Jukka Rissanen @ 2013-11-21 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Aring; +Cc: David Miller, netdev

On to, 2013-11-21 at 16:34 +0100, Alexander Aring wrote:
> Hi Jukka,
>
> On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 05:02:58PM +0200, Jukka Rissanen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am investigating RFC 6775 (Neighbor Discovery Optimization for IPv6
> > over Low-Power Wireless Personal Area Networks (6LoWPANs))
> > http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6775
> >
> > The RFC suggests some changes to neighbor discovery procedure for the
> > 6LoWPAN networks. I was looking net/ipv6/ndisc.c and it seems that
> > ARPHRD type (from type field in net_device struct) is the only way to
> > detect and change the discovery procedure in the ndisc.c code. Am I
> > right with this assumption here?
> >
> I think you are right, there was some patches on linux-zigbee-devel who
> use exact the same idea to check the ARPHRD type.

Ok. The reason I was interested in about this is that I proposed new
ARPHRD_RAWIP earlier that I could use in BT LE 6lowpan code. Now I think
that type might be too generic and perhaps I should have ARPHRD_6LOWPAN
or even ARPHRD_BT_6LOWPAN.

> But I am investigating for rfc6775, too. :-)
>

> At the moment I see too many unsolved issues in the ieee802154/6lowpan
> implementation which should be fixed at first. :(
>
> - Alex

No worries, the rfc6775 is common for both zigbee and bluetooth so
whoever implements the rfc gets support for both of them at the same
time.

@ 2013-11-21 16:13     ` Alexander Aring
From: Alexander Aring @ 2013-11-21 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jukka Rissanen; +Cc: David Miller, netdev

Hi Jukka,

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 05:52:15PM +0200, Jukka Rissanen wrote:
> On to, 2013-11-21 at 16:34 +0100, Alexander Aring wrote:
> > Hi Jukka,
> >
> > On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 05:02:58PM +0200, Jukka Rissanen wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am investigating RFC 6775 (Neighbor Discovery Optimization for IPv6
> > > over Low-Power Wireless Personal Area Networks (6LoWPANs))
> > > http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6775
> > >
> > > The RFC suggests some changes to neighbor discovery procedure for the
> > > 6LoWPAN networks. I was looking net/ipv6/ndisc.c and it seems that
> > > ARPHRD type (from type field in net_device struct) is the only way to
> > > detect and change the discovery procedure in the ndisc.c code. Am I
> > > right with this assumption here?
> > >
> > I think you are right, there was some patches on linux-zigbee-devel who
> > use exact the same idea to check the ARPHRD type.
>
> Ok. The reason I was interested in about this is that I proposed new
> ARPHRD_RAWIP earlier that I could use in BT LE 6lowpan code. Now I think
> that type might be too generic and perhaps I should have ARPHRD_6LOWPAN
> or even ARPHRD_BT_6LOWPAN.
>

> > But I am investigating for rfc6775, too. :-)
> >

> > At the moment I see too many unsolved issues in the ieee802154/6lowpan
> > implementation which should be fixed at first. :(
> >
> > - Alex
>
> No worries, the rfc6775 is common for both zigbee and bluetooth so
> whoever implements the rfc gets support for both of them at the same
> time.

Yea, I did not begin yet and you are welcome to implement it. :-)

- Alex

* Re: Question about IPv6 neighbor discovery and 6lowpan
@ 2013-11-22  3:29     ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2013-11-22  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jukka Rissanen; +Cc: Alexander Aring, David S. Miller, netdev

Hi Jukka,

>>> I am investigating RFC 6775 (Neighbor Discovery Optimization for IPv6
>>> over Low-Power Wireless Personal Area Networks (6LoWPANs))
>>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6775
>>>
>>> The RFC suggests some changes to neighbor discovery procedure for the
>>> 6LoWPAN networks. I was looking net/ipv6/ndisc.c and it seems that
>>> ARPHRD type (from type field in net_device struct) is the only way to
>>> detect and change the discovery procedure in the ndisc.c code. Am I
>>> right with this assumption here?
>>>
>> I think you are right, there was some patches on linux-zigbee-devel who
>> use exact the same idea to check the ARPHRD type.
>
> Ok. The reason I was interested in about this is that I proposed new
> ARPHRD_RAWIP earlier that I could use in BT LE 6lowpan code. Now I think
> that type might be too generic and perhaps I should have ARPHRD_6LOWPAN
> or even ARPHRD_BT_6LOWPAN.

if it can be shared between 802.15.4 and Bluetooth, then I would propose to use ARPHRD_6LOWPAN and also convert the 802.15.4 stack to use that one.

Regards

Marcel

* Re: Question about IPv6 neighbor discovery and 6lowpan
@ 2013-11-22  5:30       ` Alexander Aring
From: Alexander Aring @ 2013-11-22  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcel Holtmann; +Cc: Jukka Rissanen, David S. Miller, netdev

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 10:29:06AM +0700, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Jukka,

> >> I think you are right, there was some patches on linux-zigbee-devel who
> >> use exact the same idea to check the ARPHRD type.
> >
> > Ok. The reason I was interested in about this is that I proposed new
> > ARPHRD_RAWIP earlier that I could use in BT LE 6lowpan code. Now I think
> > that type might be too generic and perhaps I should have ARPHRD_6LOWPAN
> > or even ARPHRD_BT_6LOWPAN.
>
> if it can be shared between 802.15.4 and Bluetooth, then I would propose to use ARPHRD_6LOWPAN and also convert the 802.15.4 stack to use that one.

Yea, that would be great. :-)

- Alex