netdev.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* IPv4 TOS vs DSCP
@ 2020-11-12  0:09 Russell Strong
From: Russell Strong @ 2020-11-12  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev

Hello,

After needing to do policy based routing based on DSCP, I discovered
that IPv4 does not support this.  It does support TOS, but this has
never been upgraded to the new ( now quite old ) DSCP interpretation.

Is there a historical reason why the interpretation has not changed?

I could copy the dscp into a fwmark and then use that, but that seems a
little unnecessarily complicated.  If I were to change this, what would
be the objections?

Russell

* Re: IPv4 TOS vs DSCP
@ 2020-11-12 16:13 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2020-11-12 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell Strong; +Cc: netdev

On Thu, 12 Nov 2020 10:09:54 +1000
Russell Strong <russell@strong.id.au> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After needing to do policy based routing based on DSCP, I discovered
> that IPv4 does not support this.  It does support TOS, but this has
> never been upgraded to the new ( now quite old ) DSCP interpretation.
>
> Is there a historical reason why the interpretation has not changed?
>
> I could copy the dscp into a fwmark and then use that, but that seems a
> little unnecessarily complicated.  If I were to change this, what would
> be the objections?
>
> Russell

Probably a couple of reasons: no one needed it badly enough to work on it.
And more importantly any change would have to retain the legacy behavior
as the default.