netdev.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* ip netns exec hides mount points from child processes
@ 2019-01-02 19:01 Naja Melan
From: Naja Melan @ 2019-01-02 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev

hi,

I have been using network namespaces for a while, mostly with good results. Recently I ran into a problem where the cgroup mount points are missing for software that needs it (runc).

I discovered that ip netns exec creates a mount namespace to bind mount network configuration files. I suppose that not all mount points are propagated to the new mount ns. Is this correct? I'm wondering if this is intended behaviour.

In my case this is unexpected (man page does not mention hiding mount points) and undesired (breaks software I run in different netns). Is there a way around this problem.

Note that bind mounting network configuration files is not a problem in my case, but currently I loose at least:

- all cgroup mounts
- debugfs
- configfs
- pstore
- sysfs
- selinuxfs
- securityfs

Is this a bug, if not is there a way to work around this?

Thanks in advance for your consideration
Naja Melan