netdev.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* wake-on-lan
@ 2020-07-15  9:27 Michael J. Baars
From: Michael J. Baars @ 2020-07-15  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michal Kubecek; +Cc: netdev

Hi Michal,

This is my network card:

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 0c)
	Subsystem: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 0123
	Kernel driver in use: r8169

On the Realtek website (https://www.realtek.com/en/products/communications-network-ics/item/rtl8168e) it says that both wake-on-lan and remote wake-on-lan are
supported. I got the wake-on-lan from my local network working, but I have problems getting the remote wake-on-lan to work.

When I set 'Wake-on' to 'g' and suspend my system, everything works fine (the router does lose the ip address assigned to the mac address of the system). I
figured the SecureOn password is meant to forward magic packets to the correct machine when the router does not have an ip address assigned to a mac address,
i.e. port-forwarding does not work.

Ethtool 'Supports Wake-on' gives 'pumbg', and when I try to set 'Wake-on' to 's' I get:

netlink error: cannot enable unsupported WoL mode (offset 36)
netlink error: Invalid argument

Does this mean that remote wake-on-lan is not supported (according to ethtool)?

---

I also tried to set 'Wake-on' to 'b' and 'bg' but then the systems turns back on almost immediately for both settings.

---

Hope you can help getting the remote wake-on-lan to work,

Best regards,
Mischa.

* Re: wake-on-lan
@ 2020-07-15 13:17 ` Heiner Kallweit
From: Heiner Kallweit @ 2020-07-15 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael J. Baars, Michal Kubecek; +Cc: netdev

On 15.07.2020 11:27, Michael J. Baars wrote:
> Hi Michal,
>
> This is my network card:
>
> 01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 0c)
> 	Subsystem: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 0123
> 	Kernel driver in use: r8169
>
> On the Realtek website (https://www.realtek.com/en/products/communications-network-ics/item/rtl8168e) it says that both wake-on-lan and remote wake-on-lan are
> supported. I got the wake-on-lan from my local network working, but I have problems getting the remote wake-on-lan to work.
>
> When I set 'Wake-on' to 'g' and suspend my system, everything works fine (the router does lose the ip address assigned to the mac address of the system). I
> figured the SecureOn password is meant to forward magic packets to the correct machine when the router does not have an ip address assigned to a mac address,
> i.e. port-forwarding does not work.
>
> Ethtool 'Supports Wake-on' gives 'pumbg', and when I try to set 'Wake-on' to 's' I get:
>
> netlink error: cannot enable unsupported WoL mode (offset 36)
> netlink error: Invalid argument
>
> Does this mean that remote wake-on-lan is not supported (according to ethtool)?
>
> ---
>
> I also tried to set 'Wake-on' to 'b' and 'bg' but then the systems turns back on almost immediately for both settings.
>
> ---
>
> Hope you can help getting the remote wake-on-lan to work,
>
> Best regards,
> Mischa.

This isn't really a question to Michal. r8169 supports pumbg as mentioned by you.
On DASH-capable systems with Windows more may be supported by the vendor driver.
But Realtek doesn't release any public datasheets, therefore there's no DASH support under Linux.

* Re: wake-on-lan
@ 2020-07-15 13:39 ` Michal Kubecek
From: Michal Kubecek @ 2020-07-15 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael J. Baars; +Cc: netdev

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 11:27:20AM +0200, Michael J. Baars wrote:
> Hi Michal,
>
> This is my network card:
>
> 01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 0c)
> 	Subsystem: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 0123
> 	Kernel driver in use: r8169
>
> On the Realtek website
> (https://www.realtek.com/en/products/communications-network-ics/item/rtl8168e)
> it says that both wake-on-lan and remote wake-on-lan are supported. I
> got the wake-on-lan from my local network working, but I have problems
> getting the remote wake-on-lan to work.
>
> When I set 'Wake-on' to 'g' and suspend my system, everything works
> fine (the router does lose the ip address assigned to the mac address
> of the system). I figured the SecureOn password is meant to forward
> magic packets to the correct machine when the router does not have an
> ip address assigned to a mac address, i.e. port-forwarding does not
> work.
>
> Ethtool 'Supports Wake-on' gives 'pumbg', and when I try to set 'Wake-on' to 's' I get:
>
> netlink error: cannot enable unsupported WoL mode (offset 36)
> netlink error: Invalid argument
>
> Does this mean that remote wake-on-lan is not supported (according to
> ethtool)?

"MagicPacket" ('g') means that the NIC would wake on reception of packet
containing specific pattern described e.g. here:

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN#Magic_packet

This is the most frequently used wake on LAN mode and, in my experience,
what most people mean when they say "enable wake on LAN".

The "SecureOn(tm) mode" ('s') is an extension of this which seems to be
supported only by a handful of drivers; it involves a "password" (48-bit
value set by sopass parameter of ethtool) which is appended to the
MagicPacket.

I'm not sure how is the remote wake-on-lan supposed to work but
technically you need to get _any_ packet with the "magic" pattern to the
NIC.

> I also tried to set 'Wake-on' to 'b' and 'bg' but then the systems
> turns back on almost immediately for both settings.

This is not surprising as enabling "b" should wake the system upon
reception of any broadcast which means e.g. any ARP request. Enabling
multiple modes wakes the system on a packet matching any of them.

Michal

* Re: wake-on-lan
@ 2020-07-15 15:10   ` Heiner Kallweit
From: Heiner Kallweit @ 2020-07-15 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michal Kubecek, Michael J. Baars; +Cc: netdev

On 15.07.2020 15:39, Michal Kubecek wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 11:27:20AM +0200, Michael J. Baars wrote:
>> Hi Michal,
>>
>> This is my network card:
>>
>> 01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 0c)
>> 	Subsystem: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 0123
>> 	Kernel driver in use: r8169
>>
>> On the Realtek website
>> (https://www.realtek.com/en/products/communications-network-ics/item/rtl8168e)
>> it says that both wake-on-lan and remote wake-on-lan are supported. I
>> got the wake-on-lan from my local network working, but I have problems
>> getting the remote wake-on-lan to work.
>>
>> When I set 'Wake-on' to 'g' and suspend my system, everything works
>> fine (the router does lose the ip address assigned to the mac address
>> of the system). I figured the SecureOn password is meant to forward
>> magic packets to the correct machine when the router does not have an
>> ip address assigned to a mac address, i.e. port-forwarding does not
>> work.
>>
>> Ethtool 'Supports Wake-on' gives 'pumbg', and when I try to set 'Wake-on' to 's' I get:
>>
>> netlink error: cannot enable unsupported WoL mode (offset 36)
>> netlink error: Invalid argument
>>
>> Does this mean that remote wake-on-lan is not supported (according to
>> ethtool)?
>
> "MagicPacket" ('g') means that the NIC would wake on reception of packet
> containing specific pattern described e.g. here:
>
>   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN#Magic_packet
>
> This is the most frequently used wake on LAN mode and, in my experience,
> what most people mean when they say "enable wake on LAN".
>
> The "SecureOn(tm) mode" ('s') is an extension of this which seems to be
> supported only by a handful of drivers; it involves a "password" (48-bit
> value set by sopass parameter of ethtool) which is appended to the
> MagicPacket.
>
> I'm not sure how is the remote wake-on-lan supposed to work but
> technically you need to get _any_ packet with the "magic" pattern to the
> NIC.

WoL is MAC-based and works on layer 2 only. WoW (Wake-on-WAN) requires
routing and therefore a running IP stack. In sleep mode the BIOS has
to provide this. One approach was DASH: https://www.dmtf.org/standards/dash

Realtek provides a DASH Windows client, however it's limited to specific
network chip set versions and systems (as it requires BIOS support).

>> I also tried to set 'Wake-on' to 'b' and 'bg' but then the systems
>> turns back on almost immediately for both settings.
>
> This is not surprising as enabling "b" should wake the system upon
> reception of any broadcast which means e.g. any ARP request. Enabling
> multiple modes wakes the system on a packet matching any of them.
>
> Michal

* Re: wake-on-lan
@ 2020-07-16  7:02   ` Michael J. Baars
From: Michael J. Baars @ 2020-07-16  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heiner Kallweit, Michal Kubecek; +Cc: netdev

On Wed, 2020-07-15 at 15:17 +0200, Heiner Kallweit wrote:
> On 15.07.2020 11:27, Michael J. Baars wrote:
> > Hi Michal,
> >
> > This is my network card:
> >
> > 01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
> > RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 0c)
> > 	Subsystem: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 0123
> > 	Kernel driver in use: r8169
> >
> > On the Realtek website (
> > https://www.realtek.com/en/products/communications-network-ics/item/rtl8168e
> > ) it says that both wake-on-lan and remote wake-on-lan are
> > supported. I got the wake-on-lan from my local network working, but
> > I have problems getting the remote wake-on-lan to work.
> >
> > When I set 'Wake-on' to 'g' and suspend my system, everything works
> > fine (the router does lose the ip address assigned to the mac
> > address of the system). I
> > figured the SecureOn password is meant to forward magic packets to
> > the correct machine when the router does not have an ip address
> > assigned to a mac address,
> > i.e. port-forwarding does not work.
> >
> > Ethtool 'Supports Wake-on' gives 'pumbg', and when I try to set
> > 'Wake-on' to 's' I get:
> >
> > netlink error: cannot enable unsupported WoL mode (offset 36)
> > netlink error: Invalid argument
> >
> > Does this mean that remote wake-on-lan is not supported (according
> > to ethtool)?
> >
> > ---
> >
> > I also tried to set 'Wake-on' to 'b' and 'bg' but then the systems
> > turns back on almost immediately for both settings.
> >
> > ---
> >
> > Hope you can help getting the remote wake-on-lan to work,
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Mischa.
> >

> This isn't really a question to Michal. r8169 supports pumbg as
> mentioned by you.
> On DASH-capable systems with Windows more may be supported by the
> vendor driver.
> But Realtek doesn't release any public datasheets, therefore there's
> no DASH support under Linux.

They do provide open-source drivers :)

* Re: wake-on-lan
@ 2020-07-16  7:28   ` Michael J. Baars
From: Michael J. Baars @ 2020-07-16  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michal Kubecek; +Cc: netdev

On Wed, 2020-07-15 at 15:39 +0200, Michal Kubecek wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 11:27:20AM +0200, Michael J. Baars wrote:
> > Hi Michal,
> >
> > This is my network card:
> >
> > 01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
> > RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 0c)
> > 	Subsystem: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 0123
> > 	Kernel driver in use: r8169
> >
> > On the Realtek website
> > (
> > https://www.realtek.com/en/products/communications-network-ics/item/rtl8168e
> > )
> > it says that both wake-on-lan and remote wake-on-lan are supported.
> > got the wake-on-lan from my local network working, but I have
> > problems
> > getting the remote wake-on-lan to work.
> >
> > When I set 'Wake-on' to 'g' and suspend my system, everything works
> > fine (the router does lose the ip address assigned to the mac
> > address
> > of the system). I figured the SecureOn password is meant to forward
> > magic packets to the correct machine when the router does not have
> > an
> > ip address assigned to a mac address, i.e. port-forwarding does not
> > work.
> >
> > Ethtool 'Supports Wake-on' gives 'pumbg', and when I try to set
> > 'Wake-on' to 's' I get:
> >
> > netlink error: cannot enable unsupported WoL mode (offset 36)
> > netlink error: Invalid argument
> >
> > Does this mean that remote wake-on-lan is not supported (according
> > ethtool)?
>
> "MagicPacket" ('g') means that the NIC would wake on reception of
> packet
> containing specific pattern described e.g. here:
>
>   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN#Magic_packet
>
> This is the most frequently used wake on LAN mode and, in my
> experience,
> what most people mean when they say "enable wake on LAN".

Yes, about that. I've tried the 'system suspend' with 'ethtool -s
enp1s0' wol g' several times this morning. It isn't working as fine as
I thought it was. The results are in the attachment, five columns for
five reboots, ten rows for ten trials. As you can see, the wake-on-lan
isn't working the first time after reboot. You can try for yourself, I
run kernel 5.7.8.

> The "SecureOn(tm) mode" ('s') is an extension of this which seems to
> be
> supported only by a handful of drivers; it involves a "password" (48-
> bit
> value set by sopass parameter of ethtool) which is appended to the
> MagicPacket.

Funny, it looks more like a mac address to me than like a password :)

> I'm not sure how is the remote wake-on-lan supposed to work but
> technically you need to get _any_ packet with the "magic" pattern to
> the
> NIC.

> > I figured the SecureOn password is meant to forward magic packets
> > to the correct machine when the router does not have an ip address
> > assigned to a mac address, i.e. port-forwarding does not work.

Like this? We put it on the broadcast address?

> > I also tried to set 'Wake-on' to 'b' and 'bg' but then the systems
> > turns back on almost immediately for both settings.
>
> This is not surprising as enabling "b" should wake the system upon
> reception of any broadcast which means e.g. any ARP request. Enabling
> multiple modes wakes the system on a packet matching any of them.

I think the "bg" was supposed to wake the system on a packet matching
both of them. We want to wake up on a packet with the magic packet
signature on the broadcast address,

> _any_ packet with the "magic" pattern

> Michal

[-- Attachment #2: wake-on-lan.ods --]
[-- Type: application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.spreadsheet, Size: 8691 bytes --]

* Re: wake-on-lan
@ 2020-07-16 16:09     ` Heiner Kallweit
From: Heiner Kallweit @ 2020-07-16 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael J. Baars, Michal Kubecek; +Cc: netdev

On 16.07.2020 09:28, Michael J. Baars wrote:
> [...]
>> technically you need to get _any_ packet with the "magic" pattern to
>> the
>> NIC.
>
>>> I figured the SecureOn password is meant to forward magic packets
>>> to the correct machine when the router does not have an ip address
>>> assigned to a mac address, i.e. port-forwarding does not work.
>
> Like this? We put it on the broadcast address?
>

>>> I also tried to set 'Wake-on' to 'b' and 'bg' but then the systems
>>> turns back on almost immediately for both settings.
>>
>> This is not surprising as enabling "b" should wake the system upon
>> reception of any broadcast which means e.g. any ARP request. Enabling
>> multiple modes wakes the system on a packet matching any of them.
>>

> I think the "bg" was supposed to wake the system on a packet matching
> both of them. We want to wake up on a packet with the magic packet

This needs to be supported by the hardware. And also r8168 vendor driver
doesn't support the signature mode, you can check the r8168 sources.

>> _any_ packet with the "magic" pattern
>
>> Michal

* Re: wake-on-lan
@ 2020-07-17  8:36       ` Michael J. Baars
From: Michael J. Baars @ 2020-07-17  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heiner Kallweit, Michal Kubecek; +Cc: netdev

On Thu, 2020-07-16 at 18:09 +0200, Heiner Kallweit wrote:
> On 16.07.2020 09:28, Michael J. Baars wrote:

> > > "MagicPacket" ('g') means that the NIC would wake on reception of
> > > packet
> > > containing specific pattern described e.g. here:
> > >
> > >   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN#Magic_packet
> > >
> > > This is the most frequently used wake on LAN mode and, in my
> > > experience,
> > > what most people mean when they say "enable wake on LAN".
> > >

> > Yes, about that. I've tried the 'system suspend' with 'ethtool -s
> > enp1s0' wol g' several times this morning. It isn't working as fine as
> > I thought it was. The results are in the attachment, five columns for
> > five reboots, ten rows for ten trials. As you can see, the wake-on-lan
> > isn't working the first time after reboot. You can try for yourself, I
> > run kernel 5.7.8.
> >
> > > The "SecureOn(tm) mode" ('s') is an extension of this which seems to
> > > be
> > > supported only by a handful of drivers; it involves a "password" (48-
> > > bit
> > > value set by sopass parameter of ethtool) which is appended to the
> > > MagicPacket.
> > >

> > Funny, it looks more like a mac address to me than like a password :)
> >
> > > I'm not sure how is the remote wake-on-lan supposed to work but
> > > technically you need to get _any_ packet with the "magic" pattern to
> > > the
> > > NIC.
> >
> > Like this? We put it on the broadcast address?

> > > This is not surprising as enabling "b" should wake the system upon
> > > reception of any broadcast which means e.g. any ARP request. Enabling
> > > multiple modes wakes the system on a packet matching any of them.
> > >

> > I think the "bg" was supposed to wake the system on a packet matching
> > both of them. We want to wake up on a packet with the magic packet
> > signature on the broadcast address,
> >
> This needs to be supported by the hardware. And also r8168 vendor driver
> doesn't support the signature mode, you can check the r8168 sources.

I already suspected this. It's a work in progress. Programming the network nodes from a laptop in Paris will have to wait :)

> > > _any_ packet with the "magic" pattern
> > > Michal

Cheerz,
Mischa.