netdev.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Paul Gortmaker <paul.gortmaker@windriver.com>
To: Darren Hart <dvhart@linux.intel.com>
Cc: "David S. Miller" <davem@davemloft.net>,
	Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>,
	<netdev@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC] Any value in having a netdev FAQ?
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 09:33:42 -0400	[thread overview]

On 13-07-17 09:55 PM, Darren Hart wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-07-15 at 22:59 -0400, Paul Gortmaker wrote:
>
>>    IMPORTANT:  Do not send new net-next content to netdev during the
>>    period during which net-next tree is closed.
>>
>>    Shortly after the two weeks have passed, (and vX.Y-rc1 is released) the
>>    tree for net-next reopens to collect content for the next (vX.Y+1) release.
>
> So I misunderstood this line apparently. I checked Linus tree:
>
> $ git show v3.11-rc1
> tag v3.11-rc1
> Tagger: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>
> Date:   Sun Jul 14 15:18:41 2013 -0700
>
> Linux 3.11-rc1
>
> And seeing that rc1 had been tagged 3 days ago, submitted the pch_gbe
> patch for MinnowBoard to netdev for net-next. David *very* politely :-)
> asked me to resubmit when the net-next tree was open. It appears to me
> then that we need to add a bit here about searching the archives
> mentioned above for the last netdev-is-open message (I presume there is
> a common subject format) to know whether a patch will be welcomed or
> not.

I will append under the "Shortly after..." text something like:

  "If you aren't subscribed to netdev and/or are simply unsure
  if net-next has re-opened yet, simply check the net-next git
  repository link above for any new networking related commits."

That "link above" would be this:

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next.git

P.