netdev.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* VLAN ID 0 with priority tagging
@ 2014-01-22 23:49 Sridhar Samudrala
From: Sridhar Samudrala @ 2014-01-22 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev

I am trying to send a packet with VLAN ID 0 and non-zero priority.

The VLAN interfaces are created on 2 hosts using
     ip link add link eth1 eth1.0 type vlan id 0 egress-qos-map 0:2

When i try to send a packet using ping/arping, on the sender side tcpdump
shows that the VLAN tag is added with ID 0 and priority 2.

However, the receiver is receiving the packet with vlan tag stripped.

I am seeing the same behavior with multiple NICs and also with a switch in
between the 2 hosts or with the 2 hosts connected over loopback cable.

It looks as if the driver on the send side is stripping the tag if vlan
id is 0.
Is this correct behavior or a bug?
Any clues on how to  get priority tagging to work with vlan id 0?

Thanks
Sridhar

* Re: VLAN ID 0 with priority tagging
@ 2014-02-06 23:53 ` Sridhar Samudrala
From: Sridhar Samudrala @ 2014-02-06 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev

On 1/22/2014 3:49 PM, Sridhar Samudrala wrote:
> I am trying to send a packet with VLAN ID 0 and non-zero priority.
>
> The VLAN interfaces are created on 2 hosts using
>     ip link add link eth1 eth1.0 type vlan id 0 egress-qos-map 0:2
>
> When i try to send a packet using ping/arping, on the sender side tcpdump
> shows that the VLAN tag is added with ID 0 and priority 2.
>
> However, the receiver is receiving the packet with vlan tag stripped.
>
> I am seeing the same behavior with multiple NICs and also with a
> switch in
> between the 2 hosts or with the 2 hosts connected over loopback cable.
>
> It looks as if the driver on the send side is stripping the tag if
> vlan id is 0.
> Is this correct behavior or a bug?
> Any clues on how to  get priority tagging to work with vlan id 0?

I sent this note a few weeks back, but i haven't seen any response so far.

Is priority tagging with VLAN ID 0 not supported or is this a bug?
It looks like the NIC hardware is stripping the VLAN tag if the id is 0
even when VLAN tag
is added by the software.

@ 2014-02-07  1:08   ` Toshiaki Makita
From: Toshiaki Makita @ 2014-02-07  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sridhar Samudrala, netdev

(2014/02/07 8:53), Sridhar Samudrala wrote:
> On 1/22/2014 3:49 PM, Sridhar Samudrala wrote:
>> I am trying to send a packet with VLAN ID 0 and non-zero priority.
>>
>> The VLAN interfaces are created on 2 hosts using
>>     ip link add link eth1 eth1.0 type vlan id 0 egress-qos-map 0:2
>>
>> When i try to send a packet using ping/arping, on the sender side tcpdump
>> shows that the VLAN tag is added with ID 0 and priority 2.
>>
>> However, the receiver is receiving the packet with vlan tag stripped.
>>
>> I am seeing the same behavior with multiple NICs and also with a
>> switch in
>> between the 2 hosts or with the 2 hosts connected over loopback cable.
>>
>> It looks as if the driver on the send side is stripping the tag if
>> vlan id is 0.
>> Is this correct behavior or a bug?
>> Any clues on how to  get priority tagging to work with vlan id 0?
>>
> I sent this note a few weeks back, but i haven't seen any response so far.
>
> Is priority tagging with VLAN ID 0 not supported or is this a bug?
> It looks like the NIC hardware is stripping the VLAN tag if the id is 0
> even when VLAN tag
> is added by the software.

eth1.0 should be able to send frames tagged with vid 0.
Though I don't know whether there are NICs/drivers that strip tag 0, I
can send frames with vid 0 (with e1000e).

Toshiaki Makita

* Re: VLAN ID 0 with priority tagging
@ 2014-02-07  5:29     ` Sridhar Samudrala
From: Sridhar Samudrala @ 2014-02-07  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toshiaki Makita, netdev

On 2/6/2014 5:08 PM, Toshiaki Makita wrote:
> (2014/02/07 8:53), Sridhar Samudrala wrote:
>> On 1/22/2014 3:49 PM, Sridhar Samudrala wrote:
>>> I am trying to send a packet with VLAN ID 0 and non-zero priority.
>>>
>>> The VLAN interfaces are created on 2 hosts using
>>>      ip link add link eth1 eth1.0 type vlan id 0 egress-qos-map 0:2
>>>
>>> When i try to send a packet using ping/arping, on the sender side tcpdump
>>> shows that the VLAN tag is added with ID 0 and priority 2.
>>>
>>> However, the receiver is receiving the packet with vlan tag stripped.
>>>
>>> I am seeing the same behavior with multiple NICs and also with a
>>> switch in
>>> between the 2 hosts or with the 2 hosts connected over loopback cable.
>>>
>>> It looks as if the driver on the send side is stripping the tag if
>>> vlan id is 0.
>>> Is this correct behavior or a bug?
>>> Any clues on how to  get priority tagging to work with vlan id 0?
>>>
>> I sent this note a few weeks back, but i haven't seen any response so far.
>>
>> Is priority tagging with VLAN ID 0 not supported or is this a bug?
>> It looks like the NIC hardware is stripping the VLAN tag if the id is 0
>> even when VLAN tag
>> is added by the software.
> eth1.0 should be able to send frames tagged with vid 0.
> Though I don't know whether there are NICs/drivers that strip tag 0, I
> can send frames with vid 0 (with e1000e).

Good to know that it works with e1000e. I guess you are seeing the
frames with vid 0
at the receiver.
I have tried with ixgbe and be2net and both of them seem to strip tag 0.

Thanks
Sridhar