netdev.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* ipv4 dead route delete notification on netdev down
@ 2014-09-21  4:02 Roopa Prabhu
From: Roopa Prabhu @ 2014-09-21  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev; +Cc: David Miller, Stephen Hemminger, nicolas.dichtel, Thomas Graf

Hi,

The kernel does not send notification for deleted dead ipv4 routes on
netdev down.
This has been brought up before and patches for the fix have been rejected.
The reason for rejection is that the routing daemons are expected to
purge their
routing tables on netdev down notifications.

http://www.spinics.net/lists/netdev/msg215161.html
http://lists.openwall.net/netdev/2013/10/17/55

This issue keeps coming back. We run into this too. Wanted to send this
email out to see if opinions have changed.

There are multiple problems:
1) inconsistency in kernel notification behavior between ipv4 and ipv6
for dead routes
2) Its not just the routing daemons, its also the userspace netlink
caches like libnl. In abcense of a direct notification,
these will have to purge the routes on link down too.

Thanks,
Roopa

* Re: ipv4 dead route delete notification on netdev down
@ 2014-09-21  4:08 ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2014-09-21  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: roopa; +Cc: netdev, stephen, nicolas.dichtel, tgraf

From: Roopa Prabhu <roopa@cumulusnetworks.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2014 21:02:28 -0700

> This issue keeps coming back. We run into this too. Wanted to send
> this email out to see if opinions have changed.

My opinion has not changed.

* Re: ipv4 dead route delete notification on netdev down
@ 2014-09-22  8:26 ` Nicolas Dichtel
From: Nicolas Dichtel @ 2014-09-22  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roopa Prabhu, netdev; +Cc: David Miller, Stephen Hemminger, Thomas Graf

Le 21/09/2014 06:02, Roopa Prabhu a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> The kernel does not send notification for deleted dead ipv4 routes on netdev down.
Not only on netdev down. If you remove the last IPv4 address, the kernel will
also purge its routing table without any notification :/