netdev.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Realtek Network Driver - r8168-dkms needed
@ 2019-12-29 19:04 Winfried Winkler
From: Winfried Winkler @ 2019-12-29 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nic_swsd, romieu, netdev

Dear Sirs,
the Debian ReadMe told to me to write this EMail, sorry if this might be
considered spam...

It said:
 "If no version of the in-kernel driver r8169 supports your NIC,
  please report this to the r8169 maintainers, so that this can
  be fixed"

My new Asus motherboard has an RTL8117 network chip that is NOT working
with the in-kernel 8169 driver, it needs the external 8168-dkms driver.

Board:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Pro-WS-X570-ACE/specifications/

"lspci" Output is:
05:00.1 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 1a)

Tested with latest stable kernel (5.4.6) at the time of this writing.

Feel free to request any additional info needed that I might be able to
supply -- thanks for listening.

Happy new year and thanks for all the work you're doing,
 Winfried Winkler

* Re: Realtek Network Driver - r8168-dkms needed
@ 2020-01-01 19:56 ` Heiner Kallweit
From: Heiner Kallweit @ 2020-01-01 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Winfried Winkler, nic_swsd, romieu, netdev

On 29.12.2019 20:04, Winfried Winkler wrote:
> Dear Sirs,
> the Debian ReadMe told to me to write this EMail, sorry if this might be
> considered spam...
>
> It said:
>  "If no version of the in-kernel driver r8169 supports your NIC,
>   please report this to the r8169 maintainers, so that this can
>   be fixed"
>
> My new Asus motherboard has an RTL8117 network chip that is NOT working
> with the in-kernel 8169 driver, it needs the external 8168-dkms driver.

Support for RTL8117 was added for 5.5, you can test with any 5.5 release
candidate (latest is 5.5-rc4). Make sure that you also have the latest
linux-firmware package from Dec 15th. It may work w/o it, however there
may be compatibility issues.

> Board:
> https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Pro-WS-X570-ACE/specifications/
>
> "lspci" Output is:
> 05:00.1 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
> RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 1a)
>
> Tested with latest stable kernel (5.4.6) at the time of this writing.
>
> Feel free to request any additional info needed that I might be able to
> supply -- thanks for listening.
>
> Happy new year and thanks for all the work you're doing,
>  Winfried Winkler

Heiner