netdev.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: "Jonathan Lemon" <jonathan.lemon@gmail.com>
To: "Willem de Bruijn" <willemdebruijn.kernel@gmail.com>
Cc: "Toke Høiland-Jørgensen" <toke@redhat.com>,
	"Jesper Dangaard Brouer" <brouer@redhat.com>,
	"Machulsky, Zorik" <zorik@amazon.com>,
	"Jubran, Samih" <sameehj@amazon.com>,
	davem@davemloft.net, netdev@vger.kernel.org, "Woodhouse,
	David" <dwmw@amazon.co.uk>,
	"Matushevsky, Alexander" <matua@amazon.com>,
	"Bshara, Saeed" <saeedb@amazon.com>,
	"Wilson, Matt" <msw@amazon.com>,
	"Liguori, Anthony" <aliguori@amazon.com>,
	"Bshara, Nafea" <nafea@amazon.com>,
	"Tzalik, Guy" <gtzalik@amazon.com>,
	"Belgazal, Netanel" <netanel@amazon.com>,
	"Saidi, Ali" <alisaidi@amazon.com>,
	"Herrenschmidt, Benjamin" <benh@amazon.com>,
	"Kiyanovski, Arthur" <akiyano@amazon.com>,
	"Daniel Borkmann" <borkmann@iogearbox.net>,
	"Ilias Apalodimas" <ilias.apalodimas@linaro.org>,
	"Alexei Starovoitov" <alexei.starovoitov@gmail.com>,
	"Jakub Kicinski" <jakub.kicinski@netronome.com>,
	xdp-newbies@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: XDP multi-buffer incl. jumbo-frames (Was: [RFC V1 net-next 1/1] net: ena: implement XDP drop support)
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2019 09:42:07 -0700	[thread overview]

On 26 Jun 2019, at 8:20, Willem de Bruijn wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 11:01 AM Toke Høiland-Jørgensen
> <toke@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> Jesper Dangaard Brouer <brouer@redhat.com> writes:

> Thanks for starting this discussion Jesper!

>>> You touch upon some interesting complications already:
>>>
>>> 1. It is valuable for XDP bpf_prog to know "full" length?
>>>    (if so, then we need to extend xdp ctx with info)
>>
>> Valuable, quite likely. A hard requirement, probably not (for all use
>> cases).
>
> Agreed.
>
> One common validation use would be to drop any packets whose header
> length disagrees with the actual packet length.
>
>>>  But if we need to know the full length, when the first-buffer is
>>>  processed. Then realize that this affect the drivers RX-loop,
>>> because
>>>  then we need to "collect" all the buffers before we can know the
>>>  length (although some HW provide this in first descriptor).
>>>
>>>  We likely have to change drivers RX-loop anyhow, as XDP_TX and
>>>  XDP_REDIRECT will also need to "collect" all buffers before the
>>> packet
>>>  can be forwarded. (Although this could potentially happen later in
>>>  driver loop when it meet/find the End-Of-Packet descriptor bit).
>
> Yes, this might be quite a bit of refactoring of device driver code.
>
> Should we move forward with some initial constraints, e.g., no
> XDP_REDIRECT, no "full" length and no bpf_xdp_adjust_tail?
>
> That already allows many useful programs.
>
> As long as we don't arrive at a design that cannot be extended with
> those features later.

I think collecting all frames until EOP and then processing them
at once sounds reasonable.

>>> 2. Can we even allow helper bpf_xdp_adjust_tail() ?
>>>
>>>  Wouldn't it be easier to disallow a BPF-prog with this helper, when
>>>  driver have configured multi-buffer?
>>
>> Easier, certainly. But then it's even easier to not implement this at
>> all ;)
>>
>>>  Or will it be too restrictive, if jumbo-frame is very uncommon and
>>>  only enabled because switch infra could not be changed (like Amazon
>>>  case).
>
> Header-split, LRO and jumbo frame are certainly not limited to the
> Amazon case.
>
>> I think it would be preferable to support it; but maybe we can let
>> that
>> depend on how difficult it actually turns out to be to allow it?
>>
>>>  Perhaps it is better to let bpf_xdp_adjust_tail() fail runtime?
>>
>> If we do disallow it, I think I'd lean towards failing the call at
>> runtime...
>
> Disagree. I'd rather have a program fail at load if it depends on
> multi-frag support while the (driver) implementation does not yet
> support it.

If all packets are collected together (like the bulk queue does), and
then
passed to XDP, this could easily be made backwards compatible.  If the
XDP
program isn't 'multi-frag' aware, then each packet is just passed in
individually.

Of course, passing in the equivalent of a iovec requires some form of
loop
support on the BPF side, doesn't it?
--
Jonathan