netdev.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* RPS arp processing
@ 2019-12-11 15:26 Aleksei Zakharov
From: Aleksei Zakharov @ 2019-12-11 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev

Hi, everyone
Is it possible to balance ARP across CPUs with RPS?
I don't clearly understand how hash is calulated for ARP packets, but it seems that it should consider source and target IPs.

In our current setup we have one l2 segment between external hardware routers and namespaces on linux server.
When router sends ARP request, it is passed through server's physical port, then via openvswitch bridge it is copied to every namespace.
We've found that all ARPs (for different destination ips and few source ips) are processed on one CPU inside namespaces. We use RPS, and most packets are balanced between all CPUs.
Kernel 4.15.0-65 from ubuntu 18.04.

Might this issue be related to namespaces somehow?

Aleksei Zakharov