netdev.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Re: vhost question
@ 2012-03-22  1:48 Steve Glass
From: Steve Glass @ 2012-03-22  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: virtualization, kvm, netdev

Just some further information concerning my earlier question
concerning vhost and virtio.

I'm using virtio to implement an emulated mac80211 device in the
guest. A simple network simulation will be used to control delivery of
frames between guests and for this I am using the vhost approach.

A simple first-cut attempt at the tx and rx kick handlers are given
below. When the guest transmits frames the vhost's TX kick handler is
executed and copies the buffers onto a queue for the intended
recipient(s). When the vhost's RX kick handler is run it copies the
buffer from the queue and notifies the client that the buffers have
been used.

The problem is that if there are no frames in the queue when the guest
rx kick handler runs then it has to exit and I have to arrange that it
runs again. That's done in the current prototype by having the guests
poll using a timer - which is ugly and inefficient. Can I get the
vhost tx kick handler to wake the appropriate vhost rx kick handler?
How can I achieve this?

Many thanks,

Steve

static void
handle_rx(struct vhost_work *work)
{
        int n;
        unsigned out, in, frames;
        struct transmission *t;
        struct vhost_poll *p = container_of(work, struct vhost_poll,
work);
        struct vhost_virtqueue *vq =
                container_of(p, struct vhost_virtqueue, poll);
        struct vhost_node *node =
                container_of(vq, struct vhost_node, vqs[WLAN_VQ_RX]);
        struct vhost_dev *dev = &node->vdev;

        mutex_lock(&vq->mutex);
        vhost_disable_notify(dev, vq);
        while (!queue_empty(&node->rxq)) {
                n = vhost_get_vq_desc(dev,
                                      vq,
                                      vq->iov,
                                      ARRAY_SIZE(vq->iov),
                                      &out,
                                      &in,
                                      NULL,
                                      NULL);
                if (0 < n || n == vq->num)
                        break;
                t = queue_pop(&node->rxq);
                BUG_ON(copy_to_user(vq->iov[0].iov_base, t->buf,
t->buf_sz));
                vq->iov[0].iov_len = t->buf_sz;
                vhost_add_used(vq, n, out);
                transmission_free(t);
                ++frames;
        }
        if (frames)
                vhost_signal(dev, vq);
        vhost_enable_notify(dev, vq);
        mutex_unlock(&vq->mutex);
}

static void
handle_tx(struct vhost_work *work)
{
        int n;
        unsigned out, in;
        struct transmission *t;
        struct vhost_node *receiver;

        struct vhost_poll *p =
                container_of(work, struct vhost_poll, work);
        struct vhost_virtqueue *vq =
                container_of(p, struct vhost_virtqueue, poll);
        struct vhost_node *w =
                container_of(vq, struct vhost_node, vqs[WLAN_VQ_TX]);
        struct vhost_dev *dev = &w->vdev;

        mutex_lock(&vq->mutex);
        do {
                vhost_disable_notify(dev, vq);
                n = vhost_get_vq_desc(dev,
                                      vq,
                                      vq->iov,
                                      ARRAY_SIZE(vq->iov),
                                      &out,
                                      &in,
                                      NULL,
                                      NULL);
                while (n >= 0 && n != vq->num) {
                        receiver = net_get_receiver(w);
                        if ((receiver) && (t = transmission_alloc())) {
                                BUG_ON(copy_from_user(t->buf,
                                                      vq->iov[1].iov_base,

vq->iov[1].iov_len));
                                t->buf_sz = vq->iov[1].iov_len;
                                queue_push(&receiver->rxq, t);
                                // ToDo: kick receiver's handle_rx
                        }
                        vhost_add_used(vq, n, out);
                        n = vhost_get_vq_desc(dev,
                                              vq,
                                              vq->iov,
                                              ARRAY_SIZE(vq->iov),
                                              &out,
                                              &in,
                                              NULL,
                                              NULL);
                }
                vhost_signal(dev, vq);
        } while (vhost_enable_notify(dev, vq));
        mutex_unlock(&vq->mutex);
}

* Re: vhost question
@ 2012-03-22  9:52 ` Stefan Hajnoczi
       [not found]   ` <CADC0ay0ZRL79uMq72kAewOBTMCgMe1_1BLotdH9QnOwosJkTYQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2012-03-22  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Glass; +Cc: netdev, kvm, virtualization

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 1:48 AM, Steve Glass <stevie.glass@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just some further information concerning my earlier question
> concerning vhost and virtio.
>
> I'm using virtio to implement an emulated mac80211 device in the
> guest. A simple network simulation will be used to control delivery of
> frames between guests and for this I am using the vhost approach.
>
> A simple first-cut attempt at the tx and rx kick handlers are given
> below. When the guest transmits frames the vhost's TX kick handler is
> executed and copies the buffers onto a queue for the intended
> recipient(s). When the vhost's RX kick handler is run it copies the
> buffer from the queue and notifies the client that the buffers have
> been used.
>
> The problem is that if there are no frames in the queue when the guest
> rx kick handler runs then it has to exit and I have to arrange that it
> runs again. That's done in the current prototype by having the guests
> poll using a timer - which is ugly and inefficient. Can I get the
> vhost tx kick handler to wake the appropriate vhost rx kick handler?
> How can I achieve this?

Can you queue a tx->rx kick on the vhost work queue with vhost_work_queue()?

Stefan

* Re: vhost question
       [not found]   ` <CADC0ay0ZRL79uMq72kAewOBTMCgMe1_1BLotdH9QnOwosJkTYQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2012-03-25 16:18     ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2012-03-25 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Glass

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 1:29 PM, Steve Glass <stevie.glass@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22 March 2012 19:52, Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Can you queue a tx->rx kick on the vhost work queue with
>> vhost_work_queue()?
>>
>> Stefan
>

> I've been looking at this and trying to work out how to achieve that. I can
> see how I can enqueue some work on the vhost queue but the rx_handler needs
> to run in the process context of the receiving VM (or else it can't access
> the ring). I don't think that's true of the work queue (doesn't it run with
> the qemu process context?)

The vhost worker thread has the mm of the process, see use_mm(dev->mm)
in drivers/vhost/vhost.c:vhost_worker().  It sounds like you need
vhost worker A (tx) to schedule work for vhost worker B (rx).

Stefan