netdev.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Specific question about packet dropping
@ 2012-11-28 10:40 Javier Domingo
From: Javier Domingo @ 2012-11-28 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev

Hi,

Where are packets dropped?

I reading code I think just found:
- In the NIC
- In the netif_receive_skb

Is there any other place I can have missed?

Javier Domingo

* Re: Specific question about packet dropping
@ 2012-11-28 11:45 ` Shan Wei
       [not found]   ` <CALZVapkZpRRh+ruf-QWbv_pFYtZgdx7US7Zc6x0kgMmmAsnAPg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Shan Wei @ 2012-11-28 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Javier Domingo; +Cc: netdev

Javier Domingo said, at 2012/11/28 18:40:
> Hi,
>
> Where are packets dropped?
>
> I reading code I think just found:
> - In the NIC
> - In the netif_receive_skb
>
> Is there any other place I can have missed?

There is many reasons, following is not whole.

For receiver:
1. NIC
2. __netif_receive_skb(unknown packet type)
3. ip_rcv(abnormal packet, route reason...)
4. tcp/udp (unknown port, receive buff limit..)

For Sender:
1. tcp/udp(send buffer limit)
2. ip(route reason....)
3. arp(resolved_discards)
4. qdisc(queue limit)

Best Regards
Shan Wei

@ 2012-11-28 12:23     ` Shan Wei
From: Shan Wei @ 2012-11-28 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Javier Domingo; +Cc: netdev

Javier Domingo said, at 2012/11/28 19:50:
> Thank you very much, I (don't know why) thought the packets were being
> smashed in the dma memory.

Maybe your kernel/application handles the packets so slower than that
NIC receives.

@ 2012-11-28 16:52       ` Javier Domingo
From: Javier Domingo @ 2012-11-28 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shan Wei, netdev

I have been reviewing and I think I must have confused terms.

Then, inside the kernel, there are no packet drops for legitime ones.
And I suppose that if an app doesn't read from its socket queue, the
kernel will drop them in the socket queue?
Javier Domingo